You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-09 08:43:26

Wismut

Bunsenlabify Fedora

Hello,

I've been using bunsenlabs for a while now and I really like it. You do a great job!
As bunsenlabs is based on debian stable, I did not have a single issue with it, but the disadvantage is that the packages are a bit older (and more stable) than the packages found in other distributions. Out of interest, I would like to try and fiddle with a distribution which has newer software, even though the system might not be as stable, while still using bunsenlabs as my daily driver.
I know that Archbang exists, however, Arch still frightens me a bit, so I figured fedora may be a good distribution for me to test.
I've installed fedora to dual-boot with bunsenlabs, but how would I go about and bunsenlabify it and copy my existing configuration (OB, conky, tint2, gtk themes) to fedora?
It's mainly the look and minimalism that drove me to use bunsenlabs in the first place, so I would like to have the same look and feel on a fedora system.
There has been a thread dedicated to it, but it lead to the OP using a BSD variant.

#2 2019-05-09 09:42:44

vinzv
Website

Re: Bunsenlabify Fedora

Hi,

someone has built a bunsenlabs/crunchbang/openbox-based version of openSUSE: https://www.guitmz.com/return-to-crunch … -opensuse/
Either you might want to try openSUSE or you could get some inspiration and tips for your Fedora-based variant.

HTH

#3 2019-05-09 13:42:49

linux_user

Not an expert, but I'll start here.

Under the hood, I'll add these repositories to your sources lists. https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repositories.html

On the hood, I'll install the following packages (along with their related packages).

- lightdm to replace of GDM -> https://www.systutorials.com/241506/how … ora-linux/
- If I have not installed Fedora yet, I'll go for the xfce version -> https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/
- If I am already using a Fedora system, XFCE will be installed -> https://www.hiroom2.com/2017/12/03/fedora-27-xfce-en/.
- Openbox, conky and Tint2 -> https://fedoramagazine.org/openbox-fedora/
- From a live BL, you might have to copy the font configuration files, bl-exit configuration, rc.xml, conky and tint2 configuration files and set it up in your new system.

These pretty much will bunsenfy Fedora. XFCE comes with much of the packages OOTB, but in case not, here are the packages used in BL as far as I have noticed. I may have missed some but you can always install them when you realize they are missing.

Power manager - XFCE power manager
Network - network-manager
Themes - obconf and lxmanager
Monitor/display management - XRandR and ARandR
Wallpaper - Nitrogen or Feh
Archive - File Roller
File manger -  Thunar
Text editor - Geany or mousepad

If my steps are wrongs, I am sure others in the forum will point it out. So I'd wait for some of the experts to comment on before trying.

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#4 2019-05-10 09:00:55

Wismut

I've managed to get the design quite close, even though there still is a lot to do:
Screenshot
The first thing that is wrong that even though I run compton on start-up of openbox, the conky does not have a transparent background. Any idea how to fix it?

#5 2019-05-10 09:05:12

linux_user

Wismut wrote:

I've managed to get the design quite close, even though there still is a lot to do

Would nice to hear how did you achieve it?

Wismut wrote:

The first thing that is wrong that even though I run compton on start-up of openbox, the conky does not have a transparent background. Any idea how to fix it?

Under window settings in your conky conf file,

own_window_transparent yes 

or,

own_window_transparent = true

Last edited by linux_user (2019-05-10 09:07:26)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#6 2019-05-10 10:16:02

Wismut

I will try this, thanks.
I installed Fedora XFCE Spin on another partition on the same drive and once it was installed I ran

sudo dnf install openbox tint2 obconf lxappearance conky volumeicon nitrogen rxvt-unicode polkit-gnome compton dmenu htop

and logged out. Before logging in, you can choose if you want to login using xfce or openbox, so you choose openbox. You will be greeted by an empty grey desktop, but openbox is working.
Then I copied my autostart and rc.xml file over and edited them to remove and replace everything that is connected to bunsenlabs, like bl-text-editor (it may be possible to also copy those files over, but I will investigate this at a later time). In autostart, just replace the bunsenlab-specific commands with the programs you just installed (volumeicon instead of pnmixer, compton instead of bl-compositing etc.). In the rc.xml, also make sure that references to non-existing bunsenlab scripts are replaced. Also copy over your .conkyrc and your .themes and .fonts over, as well as your fontconfig.
Using obconf and lxappearance, set your OB and GTK themes. I also copied over the dmenu folder from .config as well as the tint2 folder. Call

tint2rc

to set the default theme to the bunsenlabs theme.
You can call

xfce4-settings-manager

to get to the xfce settings, where you can also change your default terminal and other programs. Then I logged out and in again and it already looked pretty close, apart from some missing, bunsenlabs-specific icons and scripts (for example the shutdown button including script is missing). Whats nice is that the openbox menu will be automatically updated, so that all applications will be listed. However, I still want to make some modifications to it.

Last edited by Wismut (2019-05-10 10:16:35)

#7 2019-05-11 01:03:35

apprentice
apprentice

viperr

it's a bit old, but may be some help

So come up to the lab...
And see what's on the slab

#8 2019-05-11 01:41:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Hey Wismut! Nice thread, thanks for starting it.

Wismut wrote:

I've been using bunsenlabs for a while now and I really like it. You do a great job!
As bunsenlabs is based on debian stable, I did not have a single issue with it, but the disadvantage is that the packages are a bit older (and more stable) than the packages found in other distributions.

BunsenLabs is based on Debian stable. While many refer to Debian stable as "krusty" because of old packages, it's called "stable" because it's stable... you have to try hard to break this OS.

Anyway, Debian sid (unstable) and buster (testing) are almost identical to each other ATM due to the "freeze" (Debian places restrictions on package upgrades prior to the next stable release, "Buster" in this case, so far on-schedule for release this summer). Neither has the latest bleeding-edge packages like Arch, but both are more stable IMO.

If you're running a non-apt distro like Fedora, I'd just cherry-pick the BunsenLabs scripts and configs from our repo or our github...

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repoidx.html … escription

https://github.com/BunsenLabs

The core components of the "BunsenLabs Openbox" desktop are...

• openbox (window manager)

• obconf (openbox configurations)

• lxappearance (gtk, icon and font configurations)

• tint2 (panel)

• compton (compositor)

• arandr (monitor settings)

• xfce4-power-manager (battery and screen-display management)

• xfce4-notifyd (notifications)

• pulseaudio and pnmixer (audio, audio hotkeys and notifications, panel volume applet)

• conky-all (desktop system-information display)

• galternatives (GUI to edit the custom BunsenLabs Debian alternatives included in BL [GUI text-editor, media-player, file-manager, etc...])

• lightdm, lightdm-gtk-greeter, light-locker (display manager, and the login and screen-lock settings)

• custom scripts to more easily configure the various components (panel, compositor, conky, etc...)

I thinks that's all the major goodies, I'll update it if it's incomplete. Let me know of any questions, thanks!

#9 2019-05-11 03:07:19

DeepDayze

Nice to see some others setting up BL variants on other distros. One member here did a BL spin based on BSD even.

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2019-05-13 16:45:16

Wismut

hhh wrote:

BunsenLabs is based on Debian stable. While many refer to Debian stable as "krusty" because of old packages, it's called "stable" because it's stable... you have to try hard to break this OS.

I didn't want to criticise bunsenlabs/debian stable. I use it daily and really like it for its stability. I just wanted to fiddle around with another distribution.

I will try to further make fedora more bunsenlabish, but first I need to understand where all the bunsenlab-specific scripts are found in a bunsenlabs installation and what they do. I'm wondering how the scripts that launch the default programs work (that's why I've deleted bl-compositing from the openbox autostart for example).

Last edited by Wismut (2019-05-13 20:32:55)

#11 2019-05-13 22:31:27

damo
....moderator....

Wismut wrote:

... I'm wondering how the scripts that launch the default programs work....

If you actually want to see how they work, the scripts can be inspected here:

$ ls /usr/bin/bl-*

In addition to the autostarted scripts, some are run via XDG autostart. To see which ones:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list
## or
 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/openbox-xdg-autostart --list

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#12 2019-05-14 00:27:16

hhh
Meep!
Website

The bl-* config entries for Openbox like bl-file-manager, bl-media-player, etc... all use Debian alternatives. Can Fedora use update-alternatives? You could create those entries.

I would do a Fedora install of the programs I listed and when that's running add the various utility scripts, bl-conky-session, bl-compositor and bl-tint2-session, pipemenus if you want, artwork and so forth. Create your own openbox rc.xml/menu/autostart scripts or modify ours.

We can talk you through what's needed.

Wismut wrote:

I didn't want to criticise bunsenlabs/debian stable. I use it daily and really like it for its stability. I just wanted to fiddle around with another distribution.

I know. But she is my Queen, I must defend her!

smile

BTW, if you check out the monthly screenshot thread, you'll see that I've been fiddling with different desktops on Debian buster. My main partition is running BunsenLabs lithium KDE Plasma with an Openbox session for backup, I have 1 testing partition running lithium openbox & awesome desktop sessions, and my newest lithium install I immediately converted to budgie-desktop. monkey

lithium budgie...

https://cdn.scrot.moe/images/2019/05/11 … -28-08.png

#13 2019-05-14 17:13:42

Wismut

Thx damo and hhh, I will try to add the bunsenlabs scripts one by one. update-alternatives work in Fedora.

hhh wrote:

.. and my newest lithium install I immediately converted to budgie-desktop. monkey

I've also wanted to try the budgie-desktop, but somehow I feel it's not minimalistic enough for me, even though it looks really nice.

#14 2019-05-15 14:55:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

You should try it. It's using ~100MB to 200MB more RAM than BunsenLabs Openbox,, slightly more than my minimal Plasma desktop (see the conky output in that screenshot) and it is very, very fast, like I said. There are a few quirks to be ironed out, but I've had a lot of fun trying it out. It's the best version of recent (last 2 years) gnome-shell I've tried.

#15 2019-05-15 21:47:05

Wismut

I will surely try it after I've got enough of playing around with fedora  smile
I just got the first bl-script working (the bl-exit, had to shut down using CLI before I used the script).
Regarding theming: I'm using pywal to change my colour scheme dynamically, but it only applies to the current urxvt console. How do I change it so that opening new urxvt windows also use the new colour scheme? I know it's a very specific question, but maybe someone is also using pywal. Got it working.

Last edited by Wismut (2019-05-16 08:27:13)

Board footer