You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-01 17:08:24

cothrige

[RESOLVED] Qt Theming with startx

I am curious about how to enable theming for qt apps consistently when using startx rather than a DM. If I keep everything default and login with lightdm and open VLC, cantata or Calibre they look fine with a dark theme. But, if I use startx instead I have found these apps have what I guess to be the default light theme. I tried comparing environment variables under each using printenv and setting any potentially related missing ones in xinitrc as a test but this didn't make any difference. The variables were set, but they must not have been the problem. I also printed out a list of processes under each and tried going line by line to see if any obvious daemons might not be running, but this also didn't produce any likely possibilities either.

So, I am kind of stumped on this. It isn't as if the default lightdm login is bad or anything, but I find it a bit sluggish if I need to logout and back in for any reason. Sometimes it can take quite some time to get the login back up and it just niggles at me. If I use startx I can be out and back in again in just a couple of seconds. But, I really don't like the look of these apps which I do use fairly often.

If anyone has any ideas I would very much appreciate it.

#2 2019-05-01 18:48:25

ohnonot
...again
Website

Re: [RESOLVED] Qt Theming with startx

# wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Uniform_look_for_Qt_and_GTK_applications#QGtkStyle
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk2
#~ export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="qt5ct"
export DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome

YMMV.

#3 2019-05-02 04:34:40

cothrige

That did it. I had set the first, along with a fairly long list of QT related variables, but had not set DESKTOP_SESSION. Many thanks.

Last edited by cothrige (2019-05-02 04:34:59)

#4 2019-05-02 06:26:05

ohnonot
...again
Website

you're welcome.
mark your thread SOLVED please (edit the title of the first post).
thanks.

#5 2019-05-02 11:06:51

hhh
That's it!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

you're welcome.
mark your thread SOLVED please (edit the title of the first post).
thanks.

I've marked the thread [RESOLVED], thanks.

I still have a yellow tooltip for the systray icon of smplayer, adding the EXPORT lines to ~/.profile and restarting the session had no visible effect on the tooltip, but that seems to be an old upstream bug in Qt...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … comments/7

I've tried using qt4-qtconfig to set the tooltip and, as described in the link, the tooltip setting is ignored.

Board footer