You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-18 23:05:29

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

This proposal is kind of important because it could effect things like the conky layout. I figure most BunsenLabs users are either laptop or netbook users or else they just love #! Openbox. The former would benefit from more screen real estate, the latter will configure it to their tastes anyway.

I think the horizontal panel is a waste of precious vertical space. I dont need 24 pixels of my maximized apps chopped off the top or bottom, chop 50 off the side where there's room. I see the desktop these days as a smartphone turned sideways to Landscape view.

-edit-

Here's a very quick config as an example, this is not a finished tint2 theme...

Screenshot_2019-04-18_19-46-55.md.png

Last edited by hhh (2019-04-18 23:49:55)

Offline

#2 2019-04-18 23:54:49

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno
Registered: 2015-10-02
Posts: 986

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Looks good.
Be a nice option to have.


You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

Offline

#3 2019-04-19 01:12:50

Sector11
Tpyo Knig
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,274

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Let me fis this for you:

FROM:

hhh wrote:

or else they just love #! Openbox.

to:

hhh wrote:

or else they just love the old #! Openbox look on their old Desktop computers

.. and there we have: ME!


PackRat wrote:

Looks good.
Be a nice option to have.

Truer words were once spoken but not in a millennium.   wink

"Options" are PRICELESS!

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-04-19 01:13:24)


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Offline

#4 2019-04-19 03:36:46

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Sector11 wrote:

Let me fix this for you:

FROM:

hhh wrote:

or else they just love #! Openbox.

to:

hhh wrote:

or else they just love the old #! Openbox look on their old Desktop computers

.. and there we have: ME!


PackRat wrote:

Looks good.
Be a nice option to have.

Truer words were once spoken but not in a millennium.   wink

"Options" are PRICELESS!

Even if we don't replace vlc as the default player, we can update the mpv install script to offer the option of either smplayer, gnome-mpv or both so the user can have a fancy front-end without much hassle.

Offline

#5 2019-04-19 03:46:13

Sector11
Tpyo Knig
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,274

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

hhh wrote:

Even if we don't replace vlc as the default player, we can update the mpv install script to offer the option of either smplayer, gnome-mpv or both so the user can have a fancy front-end without much hassle.

Well, I removed vlc for mpv

OpenBox Execute:

mpv --dvd-device=/dev/sr0 dvd://1 --no-border

works for me.
Then use I keyboard commands to control it.


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Offline

#6 2019-04-19 04:19:26

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Oops, I brought up mpv when I was talking about tint2. I am very tired.

Anyway, good feedback.

Offline

#7 2019-04-19 04:36:57

Sector11
Tpyo Knig
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,274

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

hhh wrote:

Oops, I brought up mpv when I was talking about tint2. I am very tired.

Anyway, good feedback.

MPV best player out there IMHO!


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Offline

#8 2019-04-19 04:41:54

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Sector11 wrote:
hhh wrote:

Oops, I brought up mpv when I was talking about tint2. I am very tired.

Anyway, good feedback.

MPV best player out there IMHO!

It's why I got confused, I've recently made a proposal to drop vlc from the default install and switch to mpv with a GUI front-end (I like smplayer on buster)...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5747

Offline

#9 2019-04-19 04:57:07

Sector11
Tpyo Knig
From: 77345 ¡#
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 5,274

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

hhh wrote:
Sector11 wrote:
hhh wrote:

Oops, I brought up mpv when I was talking about tint2. I am very tired.

Anyway, good feedback.

MPV best player out there IMHO!

It's why I got confused, I've recently made a proposal to drop vlc from the default install and switch to mpv with a GUI front-end (I like smplayer on buster)...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5747

I saw that, I'm not tired ... just my forgetter is getting better.  big_smile

I use to use smpalyer a long time ago.  Loved it.
I would agree to that move - mpv + smplayer

As long as there was no "depend" involved.

Last edited by Sector11 (2019-04-19 04:58:21)


BunsenLabs Forum Rules ---== I'm a Conky 1.9'er ==---
System:    Host: s12 Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Openbox 3.5.2 dm: (startx) Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8

Offline

#10 2019-04-19 07:56:30

Jimbo_G
Member
From: France
Registered: 2017-05-12
Posts: 119

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Back on topic, this is exactly the layout I use (both BL on a home PC and Windows 10 on a work PC), I even prefer it on full-size monitors.

Offline

#11 2019-04-19 10:20:11

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 338

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

hhh wrote:

This proposal is kind of important because it could effect things like the conky layout. I figure most BunsenLabs users are either laptop or netbook users or else they just love #! Openbox. The former would benefit from more screen real estate, the latter will configure it to their tastes anyway.

I think the horizontal panel is a waste of precious vertical space. I dont need 24 pixels of my maximized apps chopped off the top or bottom, chop 50 off the side where there's room. I see the desktop these days as a smartphone turned sideways to Landscape view.

I've always wanted more vertical space and find it immensely precious. big_smile But I've never liked the feel of panel or windows taskbar on the sides (even on wide screens). I've tried.

But there are others who love it, like you. And if most people would like vertical panel OOTB, so be it. Please leave a config for horizontal panel as well (what we can now). big_smile I love it. As you rightly said, its affects the layout of conky too. I guess we can still have older layout if we have the config included.

I am currently using a square monitor, and I am much happier in regard to vertical space.

Last edited by linux_user (2019-04-19 10:21:31)


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#12 2019-04-19 16:26:01

cherkie
Member
From: UK(still...)
Registered: 2018-08-09
Posts: 92

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

this thread has given me an idea. I don't need full width tint and now I can sport full screen browser while still having conky visible.

2019-04-19-17-24-21_scrot.th.png

thanks!


I don't have patience or skill to dig deep enough every time system breaks itself or when I break something because of lack of patience and skill.
nore, 23 Feb 2019

Offline

#13 2019-04-19 16:50:21

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 338

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

^ Excellent. And the best thing is that I can't even identify where does conky end and tint2 starts. smile


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#14 2019-04-20 04:34:48

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

linux_user wrote:

Please leave a config for horizontal panel as well (what we can now). big_smile I love it. As you rightly said, its affects the layout of conky too. I guess we can still have older layout if we have the config included.

I am currently using a square monitor, and I am much happier in regard to vertical space.

You'd think I'd let down square monitors? Dot Matrix printers and monochrome green or amber text displays for life, buddy!

We'd include all or at least most of the current configs, and some BLOB sessions to alter the conky placement.

Offline

#15 2019-04-20 04:35:05

hhh
That's it!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 7,462
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

linux_user wrote:

^ Excellent. And the best thing is that I can't even identify where does conky end and tint2 starts. smile

Yeah, dude... you're going to have to share those configs, or you'll be barred from the room with cookies and coffee.

Offline

#16 2019-04-20 07:31:36

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand
From: /lab1
Registered: 2015-10-03
Posts: 365

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Yes, it sounds like it is worth a try, so ok. smile


Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

Offline

#17 2019-04-20 08:13:51

linux_user
Member
Registered: 2016-11-04
Posts: 338

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

hhh wrote:

We'd include all or at least most of the current configs, and some BLOB sessions to alter the conky placement.

Sounds good. smile

hhh wrote:

You'd think I'd let down square monitors? Dot Matrix printers and monochrome green or amber text displays for life, buddy!

Thanks man! I guess we are in the same boat. There is always a great feeling about going retro even in newer systems. And in my case, it pays a lot... a lot... in going retro since I still use my desktop from my school days. big_smile


"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Offline

#18 2019-04-22 16:42:51

damo
....moderator....
Registered: 2015-08-20
Posts: 4,878

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

I'm not a fan of vertical panels, but I don't use a smartphone or tablet where I can see it could be an issue. As long as a variety of BLOB configs are included, then everyone can be happy smile

But what is the first view of a BL desktop that the majority see? On a monitor or a small device? I think the default should cater for that, to set first impressions.


Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

Offline

#19 2019-04-23 18:07:31

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 1,735

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

I'd say:
pro: It should work on small laptop 16:9 screen well, possibly on other wider screen types as well
con: path to travel with mice is longer than top or bottom version of it.

Offline

#20 2019-04-24 02:55:31

nore
>2⁹
From: squirrels' nest
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 440

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

brontosaurusrex wrote:

con: path to travel with mice is longer than top or bottom version of it.

Kill the mouse! Panels are for looking, not clicking. No matter where it is, as long as it keeps out of my way.

Offline

#21 2019-04-24 13:14:00

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 1,735

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

Panels are for looking, not clicking.

I hope that gets into that bl quotes system smile

Offline

#22 2019-04-25 05:02:38

ohnonot
...again
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 3,673
Website

Re: Desktop layout proposal: Vertical tint (switchable to either side)

i added it.

it would be better if people made proposals in the dedicated thread, instead of the place they found the potential quote. that would also show that they are serious about it and not just fooling around.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB