You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-08 19:48:02

makarovnik

[SOLVED] VLC starting unmaximized window off top edge of screen

Every time I start VLC in an unmaximized window it moves up towards the top of the screen about 1/4". It doesn't keep its last position (vertically). After severeal restarts it will move off the top edge of the screen.

VLC version is 3.0.6 (latest version as of today for Debian Stable). Searching outside the forum it seems to be a problem with VLC dating back to 2013. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Maybe I can change a config in openbox or the .desktop file.

I had the same problem with Foxit when running Ubuntu and I eventually borrowed and modified a startup script from another forum member that would grep the last starting position from the .config file and move the window down to compensate for each subsequent start. Wondering if there might be an easier fix.

Update: This happens with all themes and the VLC window will stop moving upward until the window's title bar is off the edge of the screen. At that point it will stop moving upward any further. Weird. I configured openbox to have a window margin at the top of the screen but that had no effect.

Last edited by makarovnik (2019-04-09 22:01:41)

#2 2019-04-09 04:05:49

makarovnik

Re: [SOLVED] VLC starting unmaximized window off top edge of screen

Here is my work around, it's not ideal but it works. I deleted the file: ~/.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf

I restarted VLC and let it start un-maximixed in the middle of the screen. I then exited and changed ~/.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf to read only.

Now it always starts in the middle of the screen un-maximized and the same size. The only things I saw in of interest in the file were file dialog path and starting size/position of windows.

If anyone comes up with a more flexible fix let me know. Of course you can always live with it the way it and use alt+left click to grab it and pull it back into view when it starts off the screen.

#3 2019-04-09 09:27:41

damo
....moderator....

Use something like this in the applications section in rc.xml

<application name="vlc">
      <position force="yes">
        <x>center</x>
        <y>center</y>
      </position>
    </application>

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#4 2019-04-09 19:07:20

makarovnik

damo

I added those lines in the applications section in: ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml with no affect.

I also tried it in the application section below the gimp entries with no affect.

I will do some research on openbox config files or maybe mess around with: ~/.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf but obviously I'm no coder. I'm just very analytical and know just enough to be dangerous. I know to make a backup file before I mess it up.

Thanks

#5 2019-04-09 21:08:17

damo
....moderator....

Did you restart or reconfigure Openbox after the change? It should go in the "<applications>" section:

<applications>
    <application name="vlc">
      <position force="yes">
        <x>center</x>
        <y>center</y>
      </position>
    </application>
  </applications>

#6 2019-04-09 22:20:21

makarovnik

Thanks for your patience damo. Previously I did logout to make changes but I put the code you wrote underneath the example that was commented out in the rc.xml. I thought that should have worked but for some reason it didn't. Who knows, maybe I put an extra tag in or something.

Anyways, I inserted your code directly under the <applications> tag (or is it a header?) and now everthing works as it should. I took a xml/web authoring class at the local community college in 1997 but moved to CAD and have mostly forgot what I learned.

I will try to re-educate myself before asking next time.

BTW this VLC problem goes back at least 10 years and you are the only one that has posted the correct solution, at least for openbox.

#7 2019-04-09 22:46:13

damo
....moderator....

makarovnik wrote:

BTW this VLC problem goes back at least 10 years and you are the only one that has posted the correct solution, at least for openbox.

I've never opened vlc repeatedly until I saw your post - the rc.xml fix was the first thing that sprang to mind. Maybe we should include it as a BL default smile

#8 2019-04-10 02:01:48

DeepDayze

damo wrote:
makarovnik wrote:

I've never opened vlc repeatedly until I saw your post - the rc.xml fix was the first thing that sprang to mind. Maybe we should include it as a BL default smile

Good idea. Maybe as part of /etc/skel so the that the initial configuration will have that fix imported to user's $HOME?

Wonder if this bug also affects other DE's such as GNOME or KDE?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2019-04-10 02:02:54)

Real Men Use Linux

#9 2019-04-10 07:27:15

Jimbo_G

This has been a minor annoyance for me for a long time, but I never got round to asking about it, so thanks to makarovnik for posting and damo for the solution!

#10 2019-04-10 09:09:01

damo
....moderator....

DeepDayze wrote:

Good idea. Maybe as part of /etc/skel so the that the initial configuration will have that fix imported to user's $HOME?

That would be the plan: we are discussing it wink

Board footer