You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-03 15:01:10

schwim
Website

[SOLVED] Need general help with moving to latest BL

Hi there everyone,

I've installed the latest BL and am trying to move my stuff over and make it look like my old one but I'm having some small issues that I could use help with.  I'll use this topic for all aspects of this so I don't clutter the forum up with 20 threads dealing with my incompetence.

I'm starting off with an easy, one, so let's get started!

Wallpapers not sticking:  I'm using the "wallpaper" menu to apply a new wallpaper but on restart it reverts back to the original wallpaper.  What do I need to do to get it to stick?

Last edited by schwim (2019-04-06 11:33:27)

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2019-04-03 15:09:51

damo
....moderator....

Re: [SOLVED] Need general help with moving to latest BL

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-04-03 15:41:07

schwim
Website

Thank you!  Working great!  Now on to some more stuff smile

Window handles/adjustment edges:  I have hand tremors and by default, bunsen's window grab edges are smaller than the head of a pin.  It takes me a while to grab the edge.  I figured out how to change this on my older BL install but I can't seem to find the topic concerning it.  How do I increase the size of the grab area of windows?

Last edited by schwim (2019-04-03 17:03:18)

#4 2019-04-03 17:53:57

hhh
Meep!
Website

schwim wrote:

Window handles/adjustment edges:  I have hand tremors and by default, bunsen's window grab edges are smaller than the head of a pin.  It takes me a while to grab the edge.  I figured out how to change this on my older BL install but I can't seem to find the topic concerning it.  How do I increase the size of the grab area of windows?

I prefer minimal window borders and instead use keyboard windows to resize and move windows, so I selfishly design my themes with that aesthetic in mind (sorry ops ). Two solutions...

1) Edit the openbox themerc file for the theme you are using. For example, in /usr/share/themes/Beam/openbox-3/themerc edit line #68 to something like 'border.Width=10', then run openbox --reconfigure

2) Use keyboard shortcuts! In BL, Alt+space opens the window client menu, them press "z" to resize the window or "m" to move it with your arrow keys. Example, to bring the right edge of the window closer to the left edge... A+space,z,right-arrow, left-arrow till you have it where you like, Enter to apply or Esc to reset.

I'll probably fatten the borders to 5px for the lithium themes, but no promises. tongue

#5 2019-04-03 19:45:23

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

hhh wrote:
schwim wrote:

1) Edit the openbox themerc file for the theme you are using. For example, in /usr/share/themes/Beam/openbox-3/themerc edit line #68 to something like 'border.Width=10', then run openbox --reconfigure

Rather than make the entire border 10px, @schwim can find (or add) this line:

window.handle.width: [some number]

then only the bottom border with the handle will increase in width; change [some number] to whatever thickness you want.

If more contrast is needed, these lines can be changed (added):

window.active.handle.bg: [texture]
window.active.handle.bg.color: [color]
window.active.handle.bg.colorTo: [color]

Openbox theme template

Openbox also uses the standard ALT + Mouse3 anywhere on the window to resize the window by dragging.

Last edited by PackRat (2019-04-03 19:46:27)

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#6 2019-04-03 21:29:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks, PackRat!

#7 2019-04-03 21:35:32

schwim
Website

Thank you guys so much for your help!

PackRat wrote:

Openbox also uses the standard ALT + Mouse3 anywhere on the window to resize the window by dragging.

I had forgotten about this and it's such a great way to handle this.  I don't have to find the handles at all!  Bless you my good rat!

NEXT ISSUE!

I love the dark "Customize Look and Feel" / "Bunsen Blackish Remix" but it plays havoc with some web forms in the installed Firefox.  Is there a way for me to get Firefox to not alter the colors of the form elements?  I would rather them stay the way the web developer intended(even if he didn't formally set form background/text color)?

#8 2019-04-03 21:55:27

hhh
Meep!
Website

See the README for the theme and create userContent.css as described there...

Light text on a dark background will not work with some programs, for
example input fields in Iceweasel/Firefox.

In order to fix this, navigate to

~/.mozilla/firefox/${your_profile_folder}

and create the folder and file chrome/userContent.css containing the
following CSS content:

input {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background-color: white;
  color: black;
}

textarea {
  -moz-appearance: none !important;
  background-color: white;
  color: black;
}

This will render form inputs unstyled, AKA ugly, but they will be readable.

#9 2019-04-04 05:45:49

ohnonot
...again
Website

schwim wrote:

I love the dark "Customize Look and Feel" / "Bunsen Blackish Remix" but it plays havoc with some web forms in the installed Firefox.  Is there a way for me to get Firefox to not alter the colors of the form elements?  I would rather them stay the way the web developer intended(even if he didn't formally set form background/text color)?

no no, the problem here is that the web developer didn't think things through - firefox doesn't override their intentions.
but it's a very, very common problem and as long as web developers do things like specifying black as text color, but NOT specifying a background color, it will remain an issue.

fortunately firefox has provided the ultimate (well almost) fix:
go to about:config and create a new string key "widget.content.gtk-theme-override" and give it the value "Bunsen-He" (that's bunsenlabs' default _light_ theme).

#10 2019-04-04 12:32:16

linux_user

ohnonot wrote:

no no, the problem here is that the web developer didn't think things through - firefox doesn't override their intentions.
but it's a very, very common problem and as long as web developers do things like specifying black as text color, but NOT specifying a background color, it will remain an issue.

What a timing. just a couple of days back I  had finished working on a personal project making the background color white explicitly for input fields.

ohnonot wrote:

go to about:config and create a new string key "widget.content.gtk-theme-override" and give it the value "Bunsen-He" (that's bunsenlabs' default _light_ theme)

I always use dark themes in the night and this breaks the experience in most websites as they aren't coded to follow the default user color scheme.  Until css coders start explicitly setting backgound-color of forms and other user input elements to white as a standard, this issue will persist. I guess this workaround provided by firefox is fantastic and should try it out.

By the way how did you come by it?

Last edited by linux_user (2019-04-04 12:44:27)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#11 2019-04-04 16:09:30

hhh
Meep!
Website

ohnonot wrote:

go to about:config and create a new string key "widget.content.gtk-theme-override" and give it the value "Bunsen-He" (that's bunsenlabs' default _light_ theme).

yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes

You have got to be kidding me... how did you discover this?!!???

This means the user doesn't have to create a chrome folder and userContent.css file in their profile but can just add the pref via the browser. The form elements are all styled perfectly, so much prettier!

If we can provide this pref by default... w00t.

BTW, I'm sure Beam is the default Helium theme, but any dark-text-on-light-background theme will work. Beam has a bluish tint to it, I bet Bunsen-He looks more neutral. I'll test that now and also see if you need to have the theme in /usr/share/themes or not...

-edit- That looks great, you can have your theme in ~/.themes, and I don't think you even need to restart the browser. Just brilliant.

@ohnot, Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANKS!!! big_smile

#12 2019-04-04 18:28:58

ohnonot
...again
Website

linux_user wrote:

By the way how did you come by it?

hhh wrote:

You have got to be kidding me... how did you discover this?!!???@ohnot, Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANKS!!! big_smile

ALL credit goes to nore (and ultimately the firefox devs i guess) who posted this on some browser related thread right here.

#13 2019-04-06 08:59:31

hhh
Meep!
Website

I've split the Firefox pref issue to it's own thread in Development & Suggestions.

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5721

#14 2019-04-06 11:38:58

schwim
Website

hhh wrote:

I've split the Firefox pref issue to it's own thread in Development & Suggestions.

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5721

And with that, I will simply say thanks so much for everyone's help.  I come to this forum when I find myself in any type of computing pickle because of the shocking amount of knowledge that the participants posess but I'm always still amazed at the incredible breadth of knowledge.

You guys are top notch.  Thank you all for keeping me online smile

#15 2019-04-06 15:59:40

hhh
Meep!
Website

Cheers, man. Your long-time forum presence is greatly appreciated!

Board footer