You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-25 22:18:11

yoda

Share a folder on my Network.

What is the easiest way to share a folder on my network with BL ?

I can google SAMBA etc but if you are a simpler me let me know
JF
I am sure to right click, properties and sharing ;-)

#2 2019-02-26 07:20:22

twoion
ほやほや

Re: Share a folder on my Network.

Samba is good for a diverse set of files, and when access control is required. Read and write.

You could look into minidlna when what you want to share are video, audio  and image albums. Windows/OSX and a lot of multimedia devices are Upnp/DLNA clients and will be able to access your computer's multimedia library. Read-only.

You could also set up a web server like nginx and serve the directory content of your shared folder via HTTP. This would require a browser for access (smartphone, computer, smart TV all have it) but also allow for streaming. Read-only in most cases (few devices support PUT or WebDAV OOB).

There are a lot of other mechanismsw (SFTP over SSH, NFS, FTP…) but I use Samba because it provides good interop between my Linux computers and Windows VMs.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#3 2019-02-26 20:47:02

yoda

tks

SO I understand there is not Right Click Folder, properties TO SHARE already built-in and it'S ok

I will google and use SAMBA LOL it should be that difficult
JF
It's simple documents sharing... tks

#4 2019-02-26 21:11:13

twoion
ほやほや

yoda wrote:

tks

SO I understand there is not Right Click Folder, properties TO SHARE already built-in and it'S ok

I will google and use SAMBA LOL it should be that difficult
JF
It's simple documents sharing... tks

To be honest I don't know; I'm not a user of BL exactly.

I thought you already saw such a button.

Somebody who is actually using BL should probably chime in. I know that GNOME and KDE have the functionality.

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#5 2019-02-28 07:45:44

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

According to the Debian wiki Thunar is missing the plugin for Thunar to share using the right click menu. They cite bug #672539 And link to this post on the Linux Mint forums for a workaround.

I can't claim a lot of experience with making the default setup share directories, I use Active Directory and once that's set up, things become somewhat different.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#6 2019-02-28 17:52:42

yoda

Tks !
Will take a look
JF

Board footer