You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-16 18:53:33

cj

Hibernate on bl-exit menu

ABSOLUTELY KILLER DISTRO GUYS !!! LOVING IT !!!

Am on a 32-bit machine at times, and was using Fedora LXDE, which was a nightmare to install as WiFi doesn't work, no VLC, no Tint, very slow to boot (the lastest Fedora!), etc. etc, and your distro worked pefectly from the beginning.. Super easy, super fast....

BUT, the only thing stopping me from putting it on my main PC, is NO HIBERNATE... I can't start from scratch every time I start my PC, and Sleep doesn't last forever... I could probably force it to work somehow, but it's easy just to use another distro at that point (have lost many hours on this in the past)...

PLEASE DO add Hibernate as it's a huge factor, and to be honest, I have no clue what there is to lose by adding it... Again, a truly killer distro (and I have played with >30 over the past 8 years)..

#2 2019-02-16 19:11:36

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

Re: Hibernate on bl-exit menu

Hi

Is suspend no good?

systemctl -i suspend

#3 2019-02-19 10:28:13

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

cj wrote:

BUT, the only thing stopping me from putting it on my main PC, is NO HIBERNATE... I can't start from scratch every time I start my PC, and Sleep doesn't last forever... I could probably force it to work somehow, but it's easy just to use another distro at that point (have lost many hours on this in the past)....

Hibernate is there

bl-exit -i

I believe it calls org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate via dbus, I'm not sure how you get it from command line  to in the UI when it pops up though. (Read, haven't the first clue). -- see edit.

@mods, should these last few posts be split to help & support?

Edit:
Have a look at /usr/share/bunsen/docs/helpfile-bl-exit.txt it explains how to setup & tweak bl-exitrc to make the button show, seems to be defaulted to not showing.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-02-22 21:15:26)

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#4 2019-02-23 22:30:23

cj

@Bearded_Blunder, am sure I could make it work in 30-60 mins (until it breaks) if I visited the support pages -- and it is in any case already supposed to work out of the box with the correct XFCE Power Manager settings but it did not on my PC -- but that doesn't seem to be the point of this thread.

I would love it to work out of the box, with no more than a button to push. If not, I'll just stick with what I already have... Have lost too much time on this in the past (and many more hours getting the WiFi to work on the lastest Fedora 32-bit install).

CJ

#5 2019-02-23 22:43:58

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Doesn't show OOTB because many people set up with too little swap to actually hibernate, I'm sure you'd be equally unhappy if it showed and was broken on an install that didn't support hibernate.  It's actually really quite simple to enable the button.

Entire process of making it show is copy the file from under /etc to the location specified in that helpfile, change one key-value pair.  Explained in detail in the provided helpfile.

Not sure how changing that value from not showing to showing is supposed to break.. bit-rot? you delete your personal copy under your ~ dir?

Meanwhile terminal > bl-exit -i does work out of the box.

I've spent longer typing this response than the actual task takes now you have the location of the help file.

You want easier than that Might I interest you in a copy of Windows?

I could have posted a one liner or a couple of terminal commands to do the entire thing by copy & paste, but if I direct you to the helpfile you find all the other cool options you never knew you had.

If you're that bothered by a quick edit to a text file, I'm wondering if this is the distro you'll be happiest with, given you've edits to do to make new software show in the menu with every apt-get graphical-app.

Last edited by Bearded_Blunder (2019-02-23 23:08:27)

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#6 2019-03-07 05:11:53

linux_user

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

Hibernate is there

bl-exit -i

It is my opinion that in future releases, hibernation be made available out of the box in the exit menu. It is a feature most power users look for.

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#7 2019-03-07 06:29:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

afaiu hibernate is tricky to get working even when you have the swap partition all set up.
i think ubuntu have disabled this by default because they (the distro maintainers) had some unspecified difficulties with it. i'm not sure the same applies to debian.
i once had this working on an archlinux laptop, but not on my ubuntu arm laptop.

try "systemctl hibernate" in a terminal to see if it does the right thing.
if it does, good, then it's trivial to make it work in the GUI.
if not: it has very little to do with bunsenlabs, more with the mothership debian.

cj wrote:

I could make it work in 30-60 mins (until it breaks) if I visited the support pages --

good, why don't you do just that.
be sure to tell us how it goes, many people are interested.

I would love it to work out of the box, with no more than a button to push. If not, I'll just stick with what I already have...

oh, well, i guess not then. :shrugs:

#8 2019-03-07 08:43:26

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I have to disagree with shipping with hibernate showing by default.
The reason is that there are too many machines where it doesn't work for different reasons and that *when* it doesn't there's a real potential to cause data loss. Namely any unsaved work open at the time.

Making it easy to enable, or available at the command line, both of which it is, is as far as I think should be done.

#9 2019-03-07 10:04:00

linux_user

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I have to disagree with shipping with hibernate showing by default.
The reason is that there are too many machines where it doesn't work for different reasons and that *when* it doesn't there's a real potential to cause data loss. Namely any unsaved work open at the time.

Making it easy to enable, or available at the command line, both of which it is, is as far as I think should be done.

Makes sense.

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Board footer