You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-05 18:27:57

BigBrownHawk
Website

BunsenLabs Newsletter

Hi Guys,
I was thinking that it would be pretty awesome to receive some kind of monthly or quarterly newsletter in my email on Bunsenlabs related topics. Bug reports, development team news, and project timelines. Something that filters out the noise, especially when there is a critical message that needs to be seen. I wasn't sure if Bunsenlabs already has something set up like this but, it'll definitely help me keep track of all things Bunsenlabs better. I do follow the team on twitter, github, and roam around in the forums a bit but, when I was on vacation and away from my computer, I would have loved to have some kind of newsletter.

Regards,
BBH

Happy Lunar New Year!

#2 2019-02-05 18:30:25

damo
....moderator....

Re: BunsenLabs Newsletter

You could subscribe to News and Announcements?

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#3 2019-02-06 04:30:23

BigBrownHawk
Website

True but, I'm picturing something sexier.

#4 2019-02-06 14:47:07

nore
>2⁹

BigBrownHawk wrote:

it would be pretty awesome to receive some kind of monthly or quarterly newsletter

Yes, it would. So, you are volunteering as editor?

#5 2019-02-06 15:15:40

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

nore wrote:
BigBrownHawk wrote:

it would be pretty awesome to receive some kind of monthly or quarterly newsletter

Yes, someone has to write it. Would release notes with each new release not be enough? In BL, there's hardly something going on besides distro development. True, e.g. decisions taken after discussion in the Development&Suggestions forum could be announced in a one-by-one fashion on the regular (decisions are hardly piling up to make a multi-section newsletter out of it) but that sounds like a lot of work to be honest.

#6 2019-02-06 15:22:23

S7.L

Just keep an eye on the forum really, i don't see a need for a news letter. You know KISS, keep it simple simon.

I would be more inclined to keep a closer eye on Debian first and Bunsenlabs second.

Some links to think about.

https://lists.debian.org/

Security should at be at the top...

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

Last edited by S7.L (2019-02-06 15:25:57)

#7 2019-02-06 20:44:36

BigBrownHawk
Website

earlybird wrote:
nore wrote:
BigBrownHawk wrote:

Yes, someone has to write it. Would release notes with each new release not be enough? In BL, there's hardly something going on besides distro development. True, e.g. decisions taken after discussion in the Development&Suggestions forum could be announced in a one-by-one fashion on the regular (decisions are hardly piling up to make a multi-section newsletter out of it) but that sounds like a lot of work to be honest.

I'm honestly up for volunteering to get a quick sketch or draft of a newsletter set up. A multi section article might be difficult just like you said. I guess we can only know by drafting up a few tests.

S7.L wrote:

Just keep an eye on the forum really, i don't see a need for a news letter. You know KISS, keep it simple simon.

I would be more inclined to keep a closer eye on Debian first and Bunsenlabs second.

Some links to think about.

https://lists.debian.org/

Security should at be at the top...

https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/

Yes, I follow the security announcements as well. Thanks for the suggestion! I feel like someone out there probably wants one.

I'm not suggesting changing the architecture of how BunsenLabs community works. I'm suggesting a way to dumb down the feed a little bit. Make it stupid simple. I think we're giving the casual user too much credit sometime.

My vision is mostly about keeping the casual users more up to date and informed on BunsenLabs and even Debian security from what you pointed to. The newsletter can be used for encouraging a bigger adoption of BunsenLabs and spreading the ideology of the distro. The big boys do it, why shouldn't we? This would also give us another platform of communication for breaking news. If there were something critical that needed to be pushed out as quick as possible, we have a mailing list to do it through. Through many different feeds and outlets the information has a better chance of reaching those important systems in time.

Also when the new releases come out, we can take advantage of the mailing list. If one new person clicks that link in the email and installs the new BunsenLabs, there's potential that person reports the bug and helps the new releases mature faster.

You never know how handy that list of emails would be in future development scenarios. Appreciate the thoughts.

#8 2019-02-06 23:56:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

BigBrownHawk wrote:

Hi Guys,
I was thinking that it would be pretty awesome to receive some kind of monthly or quarterly newsletter in my email on Bunsenlabs related topics.

ArchLabs does something like this, I get a bi-weekly or monthly email advising me of the activity on their forums.

Honestly, I prefer the passive way we handle it. All the info is on these forums, and we've been doing a good job lately of keeping it all discoverable and organized.

Want to know about KDE/BunsenLabs on Buster? Boom goes the dynamite...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kde+buster+bu … =hi&ia=web

Want to test Lithium? It hasn't hit the front page of Duck Duck Go yet, but it will soon, and a forum question will get you sorted...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5546

#9 2019-02-07 00:56:47

BigBrownHawk
Website

hhh wrote:
BigBrownHawk wrote:

Hi Guys,
I was thinking that it would be pretty awesome to receive some kind of monthly or quarterly newsletter in my email on Bunsenlabs related topics.

ArchLabs does something like this, I get a bi-weekly or monthly email advising me of the activity on their forums.

Honestly, I prefer the passive way we handle it. All the info is on these forums, and we've been doing a good job lately of keeping it all discoverable and organized.

Want to know about KDE/BunsenLabs on Buster? Boom goes the dynamite...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=kde+buster+bu … =hi&ia=web

Want to test Lithium? It hasn't hit the front page of Duck Duck Go yet, but it will soon, and a forum question will get you sorted...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=5546

If ArchLabs is doing it shouldn't we be worried about the competition haha?

Sweet, I'll go test out Lithium right away.

#10 2019-02-07 09:04:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

We do have a Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/RealBunsenLabs
Maybe get more stuff out on that?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#11 2019-02-07 09:23:00

dolly
Miss Mixunderstand

I check the forum more or less daily. Could it not be enough to be a little more active in the News & Announcements area? And is there really so much news of importance that BL need a newsletter in addition to the forum and other communication platforms?

Personally I do not see the point, but that is only me. smile

Keep BunsenLabs #!yish please.

#12 2019-02-07 14:41:19

BigBrownHawk
Website

Fair enough, I'll make a call and draft an official statement:

BunsenLabs is cooler than ArchLabs and other distros. We are a different breed of users, catering to the professionals, screw your corporate newsletters.

Alright lets blast that out when someone signs up for a newsletter just to make sure they get the message. smile

#13 2019-02-08 14:31:45

Jimbo_G

I personally don't see a need for a newsletter.

#14 2019-02-08 17:24:44

hhh
Meep!
Website

We're a very small, volunteer development team, so activity tends to go in spurts. Right now everyone is healthy and excited about buster/lithium and we're making real progress. OTTH, a year ago we all pretty much had IRL issues which delayed the release of helium by a good six months. That would have been six months of a very boring, inactive newsletter!

#15 2019-02-09 04:35:28

lamarca
Website

johnraff wrote:

We do have a Twitter feed

It's cheaper than e-mails.

johnraff wrote:

Maybe get more stuff out on that?

I support the idea.

#16 2019-02-09 08:15:30

nore
>2⁹

BigBrownHawk wrote:

...cooler...catering to the professionals, screw your corporate newsletters

As nonprofessional, I struggle keeping my email boxes clean and manageable, in private and at work. I definitely don't want any newsletters to regularly fill them up. I have "No ad mail, no free newspapers" sign in my real mailbox, too. In private life, I go searching for news when I want to, not when I'm forced to. I get my share of collective spamming at work and that's more than I can comfortably handle with.

I think I knew about BL Twitter feed, but I never read it. Looks like regular socmed chaff.

hhh wrote:

We're a very small, volunteer development team, so activity tends to go in spurts.

This is the real reason, not arrogance or incestuousness. Thanks for all members of the team for concentrating on what each of you are really good at.

BigBrownHawk, if you want to take this letter thing on your shoulders, I guess no one is stopping you. Just accept that not everybody will get excited about it.

#17 2019-02-10 01:57:44

DeepDayze

Jimbo_G wrote:

I personally don't see a need for a newsletter.

Ditto.

A Twitter feed's good enough as well as regular news items that gets posted by the team. A newsletter seems to be a bit of overkill.

Real Men Use Linux

#18 2019-03-08 05:55:16

linux_user

damo wrote:

You could subscribe to News and Announcements?

The best of the lot in my opinion.

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

Board footer