You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-22 15:05:19

S7.L

Ways for microsoft users to step into gnu-linux ?

Ive been contemplating this for a few friends but not sure how to go about it, i want them to do it themselves as they are in another country and i wont be able to physically help them.

I started out using Lili https://www.linuxliveusb.com/download

Probably might be still the best avenue, but i was just wanting to enquire with this thread of any new ways to do this you have heard of?

#2 2019-01-22 19:28:22

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Re: Ways for microsoft users to step into gnu-linux ?

They could start using open source software on Windows, such as Firefox, Chromium, Inkscape, GIMP, etc.  When they move to Linux, they can just keep using the same apps.

They also try using Linux in a virtual machine in Windows before doing an install on bare metal.

#3 2019-01-23 03:07:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^(also Thunderbird for email)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2019-01-23 03:32:42

hhh
That's it!
Website

Man, I miss Wubi...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(software)

No idea if this works, but if it does...

https://www.lifewire.com/wubi-linux-ins … am-2201175

Otherwise, I'd suggest either Mate...

https://mate-desktop.org

... or BunsenLabs big_smile ...

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/

#5 2019-01-23 07:13:01

ohnonot
...again
Website

So your friends contacted you about wanting to use Linux, not the other way around?
Then I don't see a problem. Just point them to some choices that correcpond to their level of nerdiness.

In all other cases, I don't understand why people want to proselytize like that.
Like Linux was some sort of Religion or Revolution.

Ever since I started using it, I tried to convince exactly thrice.
First didn't end well; no actual complaints but the laptop just eneded up in a cupboard.
Second, I trashed an NTFS partition with family pics. Ouch, ouch. I spent the night recovering. Not the best way to convince someone that Linux is actually better, but the machine was still in use for a few years after that.
Third, that's our ancient work laptop. It's a mixed experience. Hardly anyone even uses it anyhow, except for printing.

My point is, if anything, this only meant more stress (responsibility, because I was the one who offered to install Linux) for me.
And it showed me that for most users Linux is indeed not a better option. A fix to rescue an outdated machine, at best.

I made my choice long ago. Nobody tried to convince me.
Why should I try to convince anyone?

Edit:
Once I found a usable computer in the trash, installed Xubuntu and sold it for a significant amount of money. That was cool actually, but still not proselytizing. The buyer knew what they were buying.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-01-23 07:18:12)

#6 2019-01-23 07:23:49

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

ohnonot wrote:

And it showed me that for most users Linux is indeed not a better option. A fix to rescue an outdated machine, at best.

It's pretty good for that though, if someone is on old hardware that struggles with Win 7 or something unsupported like Vista or even XP and there are still some, it'll be a better option than Win 10.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#7 2019-01-23 09:36:55

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

I tend to do a short gnu philosophy session (showing pictures of Stallman and Torvalds) especially pointing out that this is a html5 presentation and not powerpoint. And the importance of free software. The questions are usually in the area of; Will it run photoshop faster?

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2019-01-23 09:37:28)

#8 2019-01-23 11:38:08

S7.L

ohnonot wrote:

So your friends contacted you about wanting to use Linux, not the other way around?
Then I don't see a problem. Just point them to some choices that correcpond to their level of nerdiness.

In all other cases, I don't understand why people want to proselytize like that.
Like Linux was some sort of Religion or Revolution.

Ever since I started using it, I tried to convince exactly thrice.
First didn't end well; no actual complaints but the laptop just eneded up in a cupboard.
Second, I trashed an NTFS partition with family pics. Ouch, ouch. I spent the night recovering. Not the best way to convince someone that Linux is actually better, but the machine was still in use for a few years after that.
Third, that's our ancient work laptop. It's a mixed experience. Hardly anyone even uses it anyhow, except for printing.

My point is, if anything, this only meant more stress (responsibility, because I was the one who offered to install Linux) for me.

I made my choice long ago. Nobody tried to convince me.
Why should I try to convince anyone?

Edit:
Once I found a usable computer in the trash, installed Xubuntu and sold it for a significant amount of money. That was cool actually, but still not proselytizing. The buyer knew what they were buying.

Firstly it was just a suggestion to some friends, I was not as you put it proselytizing. Not sure why you would be reading into the op in regards to the religion/revolution aspect in your post. Maybe its my sig regards to V for Vendetta? Its just a cool movie thats all. I suggested gnu-linux as they are having issues with microsoft windows 10 on their old machines, constant lockups after being taken to a computer shop saying they had fixed it seems like a windoze issue perhaps?

Im not trying to convince anyone, i dont give a rats what people use, if they can get windows to work, well then stay with what you know or come over to the dark side with us linux nerds wink
Anyhow was interesting to read your views, thanks.

#9 2019-01-23 11:44:24

S7.L

hhh wrote:

Man, I miss Wubi...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(software)

No idea if this works, but if it does...

https://www.lifewire.com/wubi-linux-ins … am-2201175

Otherwise, I'd suggest either Mate...

https://mate-desktop.org

... or BunsenLabs big_smile ...

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/

Ahh yes i remember wubi, never worked for me only the lili for some reason, probably the user.

Mate desktop would probably be the better alternative for a windows user i suppose. Ill forward these links on, thanks hhh.

#10 2019-01-23 11:48:55

S7.L

stevep wrote:

They could start using open source software on Windows, such as Firefox, Chromium, Inkscape, GIMP, etc.  When they move to Linux, they can just keep using the same apps.

They also try using Linux in a virtual machine in Windows before doing an install on bare metal.

Thats what will make the move a little bit less hectic i suppose, just depends how locked into microsoft they are, you can do a lot online these days like office email and such so as long as they have firefox and chromium set up should be no issue, might be a deal breaker though as i havent asked them many questions like this yet. Virtual machine might be a good first step, i was thinking of this too cheers.

#11 2019-01-23 13:10:54

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I think for the Windows users in my family, my choice would be LXQt rather than MATE, but horses for courses I guess, Mother may struggle adjusting to Libreoffice though, she's been using word & excel since they ran on top of plain DOS not even windows.. she *might* be OK.. if the keyboard shortcuts in the apps match.  There's coming a time when her main PC won't cope with win 10 anymore though, and her laptop already won't, & Win 7 really doesn't have that much time left with support.   Still the laptop pretty much only gets used for a bit of browsing, & Chromium is close enough to Chrome she'll barely notice the difference when it's time.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#12 2019-01-23 13:31:55

S7.L

^ yes i like LXQT, it is pretty solid now but that is only testing it on arch linux, void and other bleeding edge distros, not sure what its like on stable debian or such.

#13 2019-01-23 13:37:18

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

My personal experience: when I recommend linux to die-hard windows user, I recommend Mint, and possibly their debian spin (LMDE). It has less to do with this particular person (there is plenty of polished linux desktops), and more with the fact that sooner or later they will ask me for advice or solution to the problem roll ... and debian is where I feel at home.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#14 2019-01-23 13:37:56

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Lol, probably a bit scruffier than on those bleeding-edge distros, being somewhat behind them, but perfectly usable if a little unpolished.  That said I's an experience anyone who'd used XP could live with very easily.  And at least on Debian Stable you can be confident blindly updating is less likely to break your system than auto updates on Win 10.  Which is good for my non-technical family.

#15 2019-01-23 14:08:44

S7.L

I dont think it is as much to do with the actual gnu linux per se but the medium to get it there or the transition, so many distros out there that will make the cut i know, its just the getting there phase i suppose. I believe Bunsenlabs would be the perfect distro and i will be recommending it first.

#16 2019-01-23 14:18:03

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I'd recommend Bunsen myself for someone with less years of Windows and GUI tools for everything than my target audience.  The "bulletproof" aspect of Debian stable is appealing too, less calls "Heeeeelllllppp my PC ate itself" than either Windows or other Linux distros.

#17 2019-01-24 06:52:47

ohnonot
...again
Website

S7.L wrote:

Firstly it was just a suggestion to some friends, I was not as you put it proselytizing. Not sure why you would be reading into the op in regards to the religion/revolution aspect in your post.

I just took your post to rant about something that is surely very widespread in the Linux community.
Sorry, it wasn't meant personally (I did phrase it as a question, as an "if"), and maybe take a grain of advice/truth/whatever away from it.

#18 2019-01-24 09:28:57

S7.L

ohnonot wrote:
S7.L wrote:

Firstly it was just a suggestion to some friends, I was not as you put it proselytizing. Not sure why you would be reading into the op in regards to the religion/revolution aspect in your post.

I just took your post to rant about something that is surely very widespread in the Linux community.
Sorry, it wasn't meant personally (I did phrase it as a question, as an "if"), and maybe take a grain of advice/truth/whatever away from it.

No, I believe you just decided to go off track into a rant about things i was not even asking in the OP, you know like religion/revolution and proselytizing etc... Its all good though wink

Last edited by S7.L (2019-01-24 09:31:51)

#19 2019-01-24 23:58:41

glittersloth
...always giving it to you straight

brontosaurusrex wrote:

I tend to do a short gnu philosophy session (showing pictures of Stallman and Torvalds) especially pointing out that this is a html5 presentation and not powerpoint. And the importance of free software. The questions are usually in the area of; Will it run photoshop faster?

This needs to go in the quote thread.

#20 2019-01-25 06:07:13

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ i was thinking about the same, but how to bring it into context?
bronto?

#21 2019-01-25 12:18:33

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

brontosaurusrex wrote:

... showing pictures of Stallman and Torvalds ...

I think this alone should go to quotes ... or should we say anti-quotes? devil

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#22 2019-01-25 13:06:44

S7.L

ohnonot wrote:

^ i was thinking about the same, but how to bring it into context?
bronto?

Pulp Fiction "bring out the gimp"...

I3mrwo9.gif

Last edited by S7.L (2019-01-25 13:08:11)

#23 2019-02-01 21:16:21

THX1138

Ubuntu and xfce - you can make it look so much like windows xp that most people with only a passing interest in computers (likes ebay, and amazon, uses google, and browses shoe shops) will not notice the difference - My missus was using xubuntu for months before it crossed her mind that it was different to XP or windows 7

The telephone is an antiquity - you never know who is calling, there is no image, it is an outmoded product which constantly disrupts work (Ralf Hutter (Kraftwerk)) ps: my wife knows how much I dislike being disrupted at Work - Ralf Hutter hit the nail on the head there

Board footer