You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-08 10:39:20

overkill22

Old 32MB SD card that I can't read

Hi guys,
I'm posting this "problem" here because I know you are the best in the Unix universe.

I found an old 32MB (Megabyte) SD card. I tried in different laptops and cameras but no one seems to be able to read it.
I don't know if it is full or empty, would be fun to see what's inside if it's full.
I'm using Mint 18.3 and I'm not an expert of terminal commands but I guess it's the only way to check this SD card.

Application Disk says it's formatted Ext4, with almost 28MB free, but I can't mount or do anything with it.

What should I do?

#2 2019-01-08 10:58:02

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Old 32MB SD card that I can't read

Personally I'd point testdisk at it & see if it finds anything, testdisk is in the debian repos so only apt install way, or boot something like system rescue cd & see what it testdisk can find, it's part of that & that's a useful live system to keep around anyhow.

There is a GUI front end for testdisk QPhotoRec, however, that hasn't made it to Debian yet. So on Bunsen it'll be "man testdisk" after you install it an learn some terminal-fu.  If it's available in Mint (ubuntu based?) I couldn't say, search in whatever you use for package management.. who knows? QPhotoRec might even be there.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#3 2019-01-10 06:23:06

ohnonot
...again
Website

overkill22 wrote:

I found an old 32MB (Megabyte) SD card. I tried in different laptops and cameras but no one seems to be able to read it.

how did you try?
i think you should see with

sudo fdisk
sudo dmesg

if anything is seen at all.

then you can try to mount it manually, and failing that, try testdisk/photorec.

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-01-10 06:23:45)

#4 2019-01-14 07:49:31

overkill22

It seems that there was some damaged file or corrupted system so I couldn't perform any operation on the SD itself, except to format. After formatting the SD is good to use.
I think years ago I was already trying to access the SD without luck. There were no files in it. Unfortunately no surprises from the early 2000s. sad

Board footer