You are not logged in.

#26 2019-01-02 19:30:31

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

Re: Sound of Browser, Youtube's Player sounds, others not [Slimjet]

The distinction is between a "linux version" where you get what you get & how it works is a commercial secret
or something where you can get the source, make changes to fix it or make it more suitable to your needs and recompile it.

By the sounds of the conversation slimjet seems to be the first sort, Opera and Google Chrome certainly are.
Firefox & Chromium are the second sort, as are all the browsers listed by Debian  HERE you can simply apt install any of them.

The reason out of that whole list that chromium & firefox-esr are the recommended ones is that they're the only two the Debian security team constantly update with patches for any security vulnerabilities found.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#27 2019-01-03 01:01:59

stevep
MX Linux Developer

I have sound in Slimjet in the first html5 panda video, but that's probably because long ago I followed their guide to install the ffmpeg library. I haven't had to reinstall it since.

Hmmm--Chromium plays it fine also. But did I also install ffmpeg for Chromium?

#28 2019-01-03 16:03:09

ab90

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

HERE you can simply apt install any of them.

big_smile thanks for that great offer... if any of them were at least close to be as fast as slimjet is, i would certainly migrate...

stevep wrote:

Hmmm--Chromium plays it fine also. But did I also install ffmpeg for Chromium?

chromium dont have the license issue

"Be humble, be cool, dance techno-style to heavy metal music."

#29 2019-01-03 16:31:14

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

I've not tried slimjet, so I can't comment re speed with that, Midori is reasonably quick, though I find other aspects of it annoying.  Plus from the security aspect, I don't fancy running a whole release cycle without security updates, I might consider it if I was running testing or sid, at least the regular version bumps tend to bring security fixes with them.

I've been known to go "off the reservation" myself, used to use Opera till they dropped 32 bit support (that used to be installable from the menus on #!)  I also personally like seamonkey in spite/because it looks like a refugee from win98 .. that one's not so bad if you wanted to try it from the "broken system" aspect, it just untars to a folder and runs using bundled libraries nothing gets installed anywhere it might upset debian.  I find it quicker than firefox, updates are a matter of downloading new versions when available, but it does get security updates.. they just don't come in along with apt upgrade..

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer