You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-16 15:24:55

pamir

Simple free VPN setup for bunsenlabs

I am travelling at the moment and unfortunately cannot access my work webpages.

I am using the current Bunsenlabs which i am very satisfied with.

Is there a relatively simple method to have a free VPN, for a short time period?

This allows me to read work emails and do perform so work.

#2 2018-12-16 21:25:04

onlain

Re: Simple free VPN setup for bunsenlabs

Display the menu of the NetworkManager's icon (thats one who show your signal), you can add a new VPN conection just there.

#3 2018-12-16 23:05:56

twoion
ほやほや

You need to know the type of VPN service to connect to (usually OpenVPN, IPSec etc), then use NetworkManager to set up a connection to it. Of course you need to know connection credentials in advance (except for Tor). There is no builtin catalog of 'free' VPN gateways. The easiest 'VPN' to set up is probably Tor anyway since it doesn't require a central 3rd-party service.

Tempus fugit

#4 2018-12-16 23:12:29

DeepDayze

twoion wrote:

You need to know the type of VPN service to connect to (usually OpenVPN, IPSec etc), then use NetworkManager to set up a connection to it. Of course you need to know connection credentials in advance (except for Tor). There is no builtin catalog of 'free' VPN gateways. The easiest 'VPN' to set up is probably Tor anyway since it doesn't require a central 3rd-party service.

Is it easy to set up NM to make a Tor connection in same fashion as a regular VPN connection?

Real Men Use Linux

#5 2018-12-16 23:43:34

twoion
ほやほや

DeepDayze wrote:
twoion wrote:

Is it easy to set up NM to make a Tor connection in same fashion as a regular VPN connection?

No idea. I don't think so; never saw a nm plugin for Tor. Setting up Tor as a SOCKS proxy to use with a web browser is easy (don't need NetworkManager). Setting up Tor as a transparent router for all traffic from the local host is a bit more involved (https://trac.torproject.org/projects/to … arentProxy).

Tempus fugit

#6 2018-12-19 07:22:28

ohnonot
...again
Website

i just use the tor browser bundle from time to time. works ootb.

Board footer