You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-04 07:42:31

linux_user

[Tutorial] Installing Playonlinux the right way on Debian 9/8!

The right way to install POL is to install it after enabling multiarch.

Else, POL always crashes while configuring either 32-bit or 64-bit virtual drives. Removing POL, enabling multiarch and  reinstalling POL doesn't solve the problem either, as for some reason, the necessary packages aren't marked to download even after i386 multiarch enabled.

Installing POL for the first time
````````````````````````````````````````````````

$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt install playonlinux

Already installed POL without enabling multiarch
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
If you have already installed POL without enabling i386 multiarch, only 64-bit package versions are installed. Even if you uninstall POL, enable multiarch and reinstall POL again, the necessary packages aren't marked for download. There is a package called libwine (installed during the installation of POL the first time) that prevents the marking of these necessary packages including it's own 32-bit version libwine:i386. The workaround is to enable multiarch, remove the libwine package and then install POL again.

$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
$ sudo apt update
$ sudo apt remove libwine
$ sudo apt install playonlinux

Last edited by linux_user (2018-06-04 07:54:04)

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#2 2018-06-04 12:45:11

tynman

Re: [Tutorial] Installing Playonlinux the right way on Debian 9/8!

Thanks for this ^

#3 2018-06-05 07:55:08

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thanks for this @linux_user!
I've moved it to "Scripts, Tutorials & Tips" because it's not a support question.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2018-06-06 14:36:24

devnull

Tried and works, thanks!

(I also tried without following the instructions, just to test, and it actually crashes)

#5 2018-07-12 11:14:29

linux_user

All are welcome!  smile

"Blind faith to authority is the greatest enemy of truth."

#6 2018-12-10 20:43:49

Martin
Website

Bingo!
I scratched my head quite a bit before finding this.

Disclaimer: Only installed Picasa 3.9 so far.

/Martin

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#7 2019-02-02 09:10:18

Martin
Website

Now I have problems with this at work and need some leads.

Last week I updated my Linux installation on my work laptop (yes, you read that right, where I work it is possible to opt out of you-know-what). I went from a system based on Ubuntu 14.04 to one based on 16.04. That is the easy part, it takes about half an hour. Then comes the time-consuming part: restoring files and permissions needed to access corporate systems. One thing I wanted to do was to install something called PDF Exchange Viewer. I need it because I am using Docear and the only fully compatible PDF reader is PDF Exchange Viewer and it has to run in Wine.

Long background, sorry.

I had this working on the old set-up, it works on my home computer running BL. In both cases I installed Playonlinux by following the instructions found here. On the new system at work I can't get it to work. Playonlinux fails to create a virtual drive. I have cleaned up and reinstalled Playonlinux a couple of times just in case but to no avail.

I have been able to make PDF Exchange Viewer work by copying the old Playonlinnux virtual drive from backup but for some reason Docear does not play along with that.

I have become 'addicted' to Docear so I would appreciate *any* hint that sets me off in the right direction.

/Martin
PS It takes a couple of days to get going for real with Docear but it is worth it. Highly recommended for its intended use.

Piet Hein

#8 2019-02-03 12:50:23

ohnonot
...again
Website

it would seem you would benefit from a stable rolling distro; those re-installs every 2 years can't be fun.
may i interest you in archlinux, maybe utilising an arch installer?
http://landoflinux.com/linux_install_ar … linux.html
i also believe some arch-based distros only use native archlinux repositories (i would recommend that over sth like manjaro).

it seems strange that an open source app that is available for linux would so much rely on a proprietary(?) non-linux PDF editor.
pdf-xchange is in the AUR, have a look at the PKGBUILD and see how they integrate it with wine. maybe it works on ubuntu too.
or here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. … &iId=14621

Last edited by ohnonot (2019-02-03 12:54:04)

#9 2019-02-03 17:00:37

Martin
Website

This Playonlinux struggle is experienced on my work computer. Both HW and OS are supplied by my employer. OS is either W10 or this tweaked Ubuntu.

As for the choice of PDF reader, the Docear people claim it is the only one with the functionality needed. It worked rather well before the OS up-grade.

Most anoying.

/Martin

Piet Hein

#10 2019-02-06 21:14:34

Martin
Website

After getting some help from a Wine competent colleague and some additional experimenting at home on Ubuntu 16.04 in Virtualbox I think I am on to something:

Following the procedure oulined above and the checking with

apt-show-versions | grep wine

I see i386 packages are not installed. I did so manually

sudo apt install wine:i386

After this I could install PDF XChange Viewer using Playonlinux (make sure you go for 32-bit and Win7 in the process) and it plays nicely with Docear.

Now I only have to reproduce this success at work where we managed to install PDF XChange Viewer without using PlayonLinux. This has for some reasons lead to me not being able to make it play with Docear but that is another story for another day and thread.

Bottom line: Double check with apt-show-versions that you got the parts of Wine you crave.

/Martin

Piet Hein

#11 2019-02-07 11:27:50

iMBeCil
WAAAT?

Martin wrote:

... Docear ...

Whoah glasses ... as a scientist, I have been lurking for such a software. And I was aware of Zotero and Mendeleev, but did'nt like them (not open source enough, especially Mendeleev). Thanks for the link, I will definitely try it out.

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

Board footer