You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-28 18:58:54

jimjamz

[HELP] [SOLVED] Router does not assign an ipv4 address to devices

I apologise in advance if this is not a bunsenlabs-related question, as it also affects other devices connected to the same router, which I suspect is actually the problem.
Because it is affecting a bunsenlabs device, any support here may be a good start into finding / resolving the problem.

I'm connecting to a router provided by a well-known ISP. Previously, I was able to successfully connect to this router with the current devices under test and access the Internet without problem.

The router is able to successfully provide both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses to other devices connecting to it, except mine.

It has been some time since I last connected to this router with these devices, but they remember the network.  When trying to connect to it now, I have noticed that my Bunsenlabs device is not being provided an ipv4 address when connected to the router. It is only being provided an ipv6 address. I can confirm this by checking the attached devices on the router and the IP address table. I can see that the other devices are still being provided both an ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.  However, my device is only assigned an ipv6 address in this table. Once "connected" to the router with my bunsenlabs device, I also diagnosed (using ip addr) that no ipv4 address was being assigned because when trying to access websites that still use ipv4 (DuckDuckGo, BBC, Amazon, eBay etc...), which could not be accessed. I'm only able to access sites using ipv6 such as Google, Youtube, Facebook, Wikipedia, this forum etc....

In an attempt to force my device to connect to the router and assign an ipv4 address, I disabled the ipv6 functionality and ipv6 DHCP feature. When I then tried to connect to the router again, my device no longer connects, with a perpetually spinning "Connecting ..." wheel. It will only connect again once ipv6 is re-enabled.

As a test, I forgot the network on all currently connected devices and re-connected them all but the situation is still the same with only the my device having an issuing with an ipv4 address being provisioned, and as a result, not being to able to access sites still using ipv4 (which is around a large proportion of the Web).

I have tried this on both wireless and wired connections with the same result.
Is this somehow related to DNS?  If so, are the DNS problems on the router or my device?

/etc/resolv.conf:

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver fdbe:8103:259:0:c23e:fff:fede:901c

Last edited by jimjamz (2018-11-28 19:06:34)

#2 2018-11-28 21:18:03

twoion
ほやほや

Re: [HELP] [SOLVED] Router does not assign an ipv4 address to devices

Please disconnect everything, then open a terminal and run

sudo journalctl -u NetworkManager --follow

Then please first connect to your wireless port, then disconnect, then connect to your wired port. Please post the output that the journal printed (past entries are available by simply running journalctl -u NetworkManager) so we know NetworkManager's take on the topic. (censor if the wireless network name contains personal information, like your name).

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#3 2018-11-29 20:07:46

jimjamz

Hi @twoion.  Thanks for posting.  Fortunately, I solved the problem not long after my initial post.

My router was set to allocate a limited range (10) of IPv4 addresses to devices.  However, this shouldn't have been an issue as there are a far less amount of devices (totalling around 5 or 6) that connect to this router.  However, once this was increased, followed by a networking restart (sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart)the problematic devices were being allocated IPv4 addresses as well as IPv6.

These problematic devices were immediately allocated Ipv4 addresses, but all were above 10 (.13, .16 etc...).  I don't know why it didn't try to assign the ones within the range I initially set.

#4 2018-11-30 00:32:26

twoion
ほやほや

jimjamz wrote:

Hi @twoion.  Thanks for posting.  Fortunately, I solved the problem not long after my initial post.

My router was set to allocate a limited range (10) of IPv4 addresses to devices.  However, this shouldn't have been an issue as there are a far less amount of devices (totalling around 5 or 6) that connect to this router.  However, once this was increased, followed by a networking restart (sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart)the problematic devices were being allocated IPv4 addresses as well as IPv6.

These problematic devices were immediately allocated Ipv4 addresses, but all were above 10 (.13, .16 etc...).  I don't know why it didn't try to assign the ones within the range I initially set.

Fantastic. Usually, with DHCP the issue is that devices when they suddenly disconnect or are put into standby like my laptop may keep their  DHCP lease so the router doesn't free these slots and runs out of addresses to hand out. You may want to check what the expiration on the DHCP leases your router is giving out is, maybe you can lower them to something like 1 hour (instead of … weeks and possibly months), but not all home routers allow this.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#5 2018-11-30 16:57:22

jimjamz

I don't seem to be able to find any information on the router that specifies the lease time.  Can this be queried another way? Similarly, no setting appears to be available in order to alter this value.

#6 2018-11-30 18:45:44

Sun For Miles

I am going to assume that your network is not compromised and your router is not hosting wired or wireless devices without your knowing.

The fact that you solved your problem by increasing DHCP pool only means that a device (or devices) exhausted your pool of 10 addresses by requesting new address while old DHCP lease from the same device is still recorded on the router. If this is the case,  the same problem might appear after couple of days. It is essential to get DHCP lease information from your router, because that way you can determine which device has the faulty way of taking more addresses than needed, and if there are few devices acting this way probably the router has a buggy driver or software. Which model of the router are you running, maybe we can help with the search through manuals?

For a start, to partilly solve the question of DHCP lease, you should be able to determine lease time from the output of these on your BL box:

cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases

or

sudo grep dhclient /var/log/syslog | grep renewal

and check the duration in seconds.

Señor Chang, why do you teach Spanish?

Board footer