You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-25 02:29:51

msoutopico

Installing from Debian

Hi there,

I have tried bunsenlabs in a vm and I really like it, so I would like to install it in my linux partition in a machine with dual boot.

I see in https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation … ed-install that it's possible to install it without having to remove or overwrite my current distro (which is Debian 9 Stretch with KDE Plasma), so I would like to try that.

I'm not a very experienced Linux user, and I have a few basic questions about what would happen if I do that, I hope somebody can provide some answers.

1. If I include your package repository in my system, will I obtain the same installation as if I install from scratch?

2. Then, could I remove KDE Plasma and Kwin, or would I have to keep them besides Openbox?

3. If anything goes wrong or I am not confortable, is it possible to restore the previous state of my system simply by removing bl's package repository?

4. What are the major problems that I might come across in this process?

Thanks in advance.
cheer, Manuel

#2 2018-11-25 02:54:20

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Re: Installing from Debian

msoutopico wrote:

Hi there,

I have tried bunsenlabs in a vm and I really like it, so I would like to install it in my linux partition in a machine with dual boot.

I see in https://www.bunsenlabs.org/installation … ed-install that it's possible to install it without having to remove or overwrite my current distro (which is Debian 9 Stretch with KDE Plasma), so I would like to try that.

I'm not a very experienced Linux user...

Stop right there. Just do that. Install BL on a (third?) partition.

What are you even talking about, removing KDE from the KDE partition you want to preserve? And if that is what you want, at least this way you'll have tested it first.

Post if you need help with using GParted or running the Debian/BL installer to get your partitions right.

#3 2018-11-25 12:31:44

msoutopico

Thanks for your reply, hhh, although I don't think I got an answer to any of my questions smile

Unfortunately I don't have space to create a new partition, but as I said I have already tested BL in a virtual machine and it seems I can make a productive use of it.

What I would like to do is to obtain a bunsenlabs installation from my debian installation, without having to perform an installation from scratch. I add the sources, run a few commands, and I reboot into bunsenlabs. Is that what will happen if I follow the steps in the page that I linked?

I understand that the main part of BL is already in my system, so I just need to install what's missing, and then optionally get rid of what is not necessary any more (plasma and kwin).

Cheers and good Sunday.
manuel

Last edited by msoutopico (2018-11-25 12:33:10)

#4 2018-11-25 13:38:16

malm
jgmenu developer
Website

If I were you, I wouldn’t uninstall anything.

Simply install openbox and tint2, and see how you enjoy them.

If you clone bunsen-configs from github, you can hand pick the dotfiles you need.

You might want to install some scripts from bunsen-utilities too (eg pipemenu scripts)

I’m sure it’s possible to install everything on top of your current setup, but its a recipe for things getting messy unless you know what you’re doing. If I was going to attempt it, I’d probably wipe my home directory and then replicate the BL package list. It would be easier to install from scratch (as @hhh suggested)

#5 2018-11-25 13:38:43

S7.L

You can always make space for a new partition if you need one, what does your disc layout look like?

Post the output of below command if you are so willing.

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate."...Voilà!

~ V

#6 2018-11-25 15:31:23

msoutopico

Thank you everyone for your answers. I have now understand @hhh's reply better.

I have decided to give a try to openbox and tint2 in my machine, I am trying to configure the menu that let's me choose the WM at login time. I think I can actually use openbox with or without KDE. That way I won't have the pre-defined configuration that BL offers, but it'll be also nice to explore in that way.

I think I can also move some files to an external storage to make room for a new partition. I guess I can resize partitions any time with gparted and I could eventually also make the BL partition the root and remove my current / (where debian is now running).

Cheers, Manuel

Last edited by msoutopico (2018-11-25 15:32:44)

#7 2018-11-25 15:56:35

rbh

msoutopico wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have space to create a new partition,

Du you have place to add a new harddisk or, money to by a new bigger disk, clone the old disk and replace it?
(Then you can insert the old disk in an cabinet and you hav an external disk to experiment on or for backups.

msoutopico wrote:

What I would like to do is to obtain a bunsenlabs installation from my debian installation, without having to perform an installation from scratch. I add the sources, run a few commands, and I reboot into bunsenlabs. Is that what will happen if I follow the steps in the page that I linked?
[...]
I understand that the main part of BL is already in my system, so I just need to install what's missing, and then optionally get rid of what is not necessary any more (plasma and kwin).

I would not recommend you to try that path as you aint experienced linux user. You will as best get a quite bloated system, burdened with unnessecary libraries.

Lets examine why you dont want to make a fresh install.
Do you have data on the disk you want to preserve? No problem. Boot the CD to BunsenLive, erase bin, boot, data, dev, lib etc, and keep any data you ned. Do you have programsettings in /etc, you need to reaply after installation? Rename etc to etc.bak. Du you have many vm installed in your /home/*?
Rename your home to *.bak. Afterwards, most reinstall Virtualbox or whatever you use and then copy over your data and settings.

But, if you hav al lot of power in your machine, can you do as you thoght. Either way, dont forget to backup data you want to preserve.

// Regards rbh

#8 2018-11-26 06:50:00

ohnonot
...again
Website

msoutopico wrote:

1. If I include your package repository in my system, will I obtain the same installation as if I install from scratch?

2. Then, could I remove KDE Plasma and Kwin, or would I have to keep them besides Openbox?

3. If anything goes wrong or I am not confortable, is it possible to restore the previous state of my system simply by removing bl's package repository?

4. What are the major problems that I might come across in this process?

1. it will require additional steps, but in theory, yes.
2. if you know exactly what to remove without breaking your system, yes, you could.
3. no, better to restore from backups (which you need to create beforehand)
4. see 1., 2. and 3.

Board footer