You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-25 19:01:59

PrimeSuspect

child process error

I have a new LG Gram that I have dual booted with Windows 10 and KDE Neon so I decided to install BunsenLabs x64 onto an external SSD. The install went fine and is fine in use except after some time I come back to the machine and anything I click returns a ‘failed to execute child process’ error. The panel contains only two launch icons for the file manager and Cairo Dock. Clicking the file manager icon it just disappears and anything in Cairo Dock returns the error stated above as does trying to shut down the computer.

Is this something to do with the external install or should I be looking for another reason?

#2 2018-11-26 01:29:05

rbh

Re: child process error

PrimeSuspect wrote:

BunsenLabs x64 onto an external SSD. The install went fine and is fine in use except after some time I come back to the machine and anything I click returns a ‘failed to execute child process’ error.
[...]
Is this something to do with the external install or should I be looking for another reason?

Could be problems reading the external disk. I have cable that takes two usb slots in pc and get double current to old 2½" disks. But sometimes just that symtom happens.

Open an terminal next time you leave it, Go to your mountpoint.
When it is disbehaving test if you can make an

du -h

If you get error reading disk, you have answer.
If not, check logs.

you can run nmon or glances or other monitoring program.

Last edited by rbh (2018-11-26 01:31:39)

// Regards rbh

#3 2018-11-26 05:54:07

PrimeSuspect

Re: child process error

Many thanks - it is what I suspected

Board footer