You are not logged in.

#1 2018-11-15 03:36:31

Xorgbunsenlabsbrokesucks

Xorg

I think I broke some critical configurations.

How do I automatically configure the xserver in a way that is just as all encompassing as the original distro installation of the xserver.

Xorg -configure fails
X -configure fails
remove, purge, --reinstall... no avail

The original automatic configuration seems to work absolutely flawless on every distro, this is not my first time with xorg reconfiguration issues, I just like to be done with xorg configuration issues for the rest of my entire life( cause, its making me want to return to windows).

My desktop on first screen runs without an xserver(being broke) and the second displays text for the scanning of the file system. -- it seems im missing something that would automatically generate the $DISPLAY environmental variable/'s
(Booting non broken xserver os...) the second display is the same with the scan. first screen xserver work but i still cannot get xrandr to aknowledge any of the ports.. It's requiring manual re configurations. The original install can do that automatically. Which I am about to do as my last resort, but this post is just me hoping some sort of technical support exists before I start over neutral

Last edited by Xorgbunsenlabsbrokesucks (2018-11-15 03:44:43)

#2 2018-11-15 07:03:26

cloverskull

Re: Xorg

If the original install worked, I'd delete your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and anything in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/

In 2018 we shouldn't really need to use X -configure.

That said, saying something "fails" isn't that useful for people to help debug - can you post output, or a log, or something?

#3 2018-11-15 07:44:02

Xorgbunsenlabsbrokesucks

I wasn't looking for help debugging, just the section of the original install script that handles setting up xorg.

15 years ago, switching to linux was the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm excited now to switch back to windows.
im throwing in the towel. someones always breaking working things and rearranging the directory trees and configure paths so that all the support i find is no longer valid. its been an entire day off work. bottom line is even if i get xorg fixed, im still stuck on the last version of bunsenlabs and update-grub2 doesn't even update grub2 anymore so the install that refused to finish cannot boot up even though its there.
hell.. even if i get that working, doesn't seem like anyone cared to not make it a big pain in my ass to have a multi gpu multi head setup.. so screw it...I was just pursuing some switcheroo thingy but that doesn't even look promising...  someones obviously(canonical) in the business of selling technical support and they are( or whomever might profit) likely casually and in a subtle fashion breaking debian.. so im out because i don't know any other linux and i need displays on both my monitors.
Once i get the authentic dell windows download i need for my product key, ill try reinstalling the latest version bunsenlabs in a virtual machine.
I just really don't have all day to make monitors that obviously work, work. its crazy, its like every update i have more hardware that no longer works, annoying things like wifi
i probably wasted like 15 hours a week every week in the last three years.. thats alot of time/money.. even if i had to out of pocket pay 6,000 dollars for windows, at this point i would.
i have to be awake for work in 5.5 hours and i started this adventure over 15 hours ago. thats just one day

HA.. and i just noticed my regular user no longer has any permissions on the file system... thanks update grub
lame as fuck

Last edited by Xorgbunsenlabsbrokesucks (2018-11-15 08:23:57)

#4 2018-11-15 08:42:24

cloverskull

I guess I’d just have to say your experience here is unique. I have no idea what you did to your BL setup but it’s always “just worked” for me no matter what hardware I threw at it.

Anyway, best of luck in your future endeavors. Keep in mind nobody here gets paid a dime to do any of this, we are all hobbyists, so I’d probably take the attitude and the language elsewhere.

#5 2018-11-15 13:17:01

S7.L

Xorgbunsenlabsbrokesucks wrote:

I think I broke some critical configurations.

How do I automatically configure the xserver in a way that is just as all encompassing as the original distro installation of the xserver.

Xorg -configure fails
X -configure fails
remove, purge, --reinstall... no avail

The original automatic configuration seems to work absolutely flawless on every distro, this is not my first time with xorg reconfiguration issues, I just like to be done with xorg configuration issues for the rest of my entire life( cause, its making me want to return to windows).

My desktop on first screen runs without an xserver(being broke) and the second displays text for the scanning of the file system. -- it seems im missing something that would automatically generate the $DISPLAY environmental variable/'s
(Booting non broken xserver os...) the second display is the same with the scan. first screen xserver work but i still cannot get xrandr to aknowledge any of the ports.. It's requiring manual re configurations. The original install can do that automatically. Which I am about to do as my last resort, but this post is just me hoping some sort of technical support exists before I start over neutral

Please elaborate on what you think you broke, how and what did you do?

See emphasis in red, you admit you broke something wont tell us what you broke.

"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate."...Voilà!

~ V

#6 2018-11-15 13:28:51

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

I wasn't looking for help debugging, just the section of the original install script that handles setting up xorg.

Debian/BL relies on X autoconfiguration and doesn't configure Xorg all.

It sounds like you've broken either lightdm or the user session (in the case of which there is some configuration). You should start from systemctl start lightdm and work with the errors from there. To restore any lightdm configuration that is BL specific, you just need to reinstall the bunsen-configs package (but that's not much).

lame as fuck

This is a hobbyist OS and requires you to learn about some things if they break or you break it. I've answered your question, and self-reliant as you are, you should be able to figure things out from here. For free software, you don't pay in money but time and effort.

Multi-GPU multi-head setups are definitely possible but it's well known that there are issues depending on a myriad of factors, starting with GPU and drivers used.

If you want a supported configuration, I suggest you stick to your graphics hardware vendor's recommendations. I guess that If you rely on a well-supported build, Windows + Linux in a VM sounds like the best solution you could choose. Since you have multiple GPUs, just pass a physical GPU through to Linux and you can enjoy Windows as well as Linux.

#7 2018-11-16 20:43:15

ohnonot
...again
Website

15 years ago, switching to linux was the best thing that ever happened to me. I'm excited now to switch back to windows.
im throwing in the towel. someones always breaking working things and rearranging the directory trees and configure paths so that all the support i find is no longer valid. its been an entire day off work. bottom line is even if i get xorg fixed, im still stuck on the last version of bunsenlabs and update-grub2 doesn't even update grub2 anymore so the install that refused to finish cannot boot up even though its there.
hell.. even if i get that working, doesn't seem like anyone cared to not make it a big pain in my ass to have a multi gpu multi head setup.. so screw it...I was just pursuing some switcheroo thingy but that doesn't even look promising...  someones obviously(canonical) in the business of selling technical support and they are( or whomever might profit) likely casually and in a subtle fashion breaking debian.. so im out because i don't know any other linux and i need displays on both my monitors.
Once i get the authentic dell windows download i need for my product key, ill try reinstalling the latest version bunsenlabs in a virtual machine.
I just really don't have all day to make monitors that obviously work, work. its crazy, its like every update i have more hardware that no longer works, annoying things like wifi
i probably wasted like 15 hours a week every week in the last three years.. thats alot of time/money.. even if i had to out of pocket pay 6,000 dollars for windows, at this point i would.
i have to be awake for work in 5.5 hours and i started this adventure over 15 hours ago. thats just one day

HA.. and i just noticed my regular user no longer has any permissions on the file system... thanks update grub
lame as fuck

well we're sorry you feel like that, but we did want a block of flats... nice though the abattoire is!

#8 2018-11-16 20:50:41

bigbenaugust

I think you can do a dpkg-reconfigure on xserver-xorg if you're really stuck.

--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

#9 2018-11-17 03:19:59

DeepDayze

Perhaps a clean reinstall of BL could be in order and \no need to flame the distro or anyone and if you want help be civil about it.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer