You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-13 09:31:47

Doppel-D

Anyone using samba smb / cifs >= smb2 protocol?

I switched and have some problems connecting to servers using my bunsenlabs helium client, both with thunar and command line smbclient.

I am aware that the network neigbourhood isn't supposed to work by design so I ckecked with a win10 machine (smb1 deinstalled) to directly connect to the share e.g. //server/share which works fine so it looks like that I am missing something.

I already switched to "min protocol = smb2" in smb.conf but that doesn't help.

If I try to connect smbclient -U anonymous //server/share I will get a password prompt but...

protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

regards

Addendum: will try "protocol = SMB2"

...and it all started with a #!

#2 2018-10-15 09:05:00

Doppel-D

Re: Anyone using samba smb / cifs >= smb2 protocol?

protocol = SMB2

solved it!

#3 2018-10-15 10:41:51

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

I'm not too familiar with SMB but I think you should use SMB3 because only that has supported for encrypted shares (I guess this is relevant only if you access the share over the internet without a VPN tunnel).

For a smb3 CIFS client, I have the following in my /etc/fstab:

//10.180.42.1/Media /mnt/Media cifs noauto,uid=0,gid=100,iocharset=utf8,credentials=/etc/cifs.d/media.creds,vers=3.0,seal,nodfs 0 0

https://access.redhat.com/documentation … _smb_share has pretty good documentation too.

#4 2018-10-15 19:37:44

Doppel-D

@earlybird Thank you for your input! I would like too but the share is on a router and there is no easy way using smb3 because it is not available in the compiled packages (openwrt), probably had to compile it myself or switch to snapshot. For now I am glad that I've got smb2 working ;- )
regards

Board footer