You are not logged in.

#1 2018-09-27 05:43:20

cloverskull

KDE Plasma, pleasantly surprised

Hey all,

I’ve just installed arch with KDE plasma and I am floored by how fast and well put together it is. What a desktop! It doesn’t align with my preferred minimal total control aesthetic a la OpenBox, but in a family shared computing environment, I think it’s great.

I also think gtk devs could learn a thing or two from qt devs!

Anyone else tried KDE lately?

#2 2018-09-27 11:42:45

DeepDayze

Re: KDE Plasma, pleasantly surprised

I installed a minimal Plasma desktop atop my BL setup and I liked it. Got a copy of KDE Neon to play with to see how good the full KDE experience is before I go the whole hog. KDE is rather heavy and my desktop would be the better place than my laptop to run it.

Real Men Use Linux

#3 2018-09-27 12:51:36

MALsPa

cloverskull wrote:

Anyone else tried KDE lately?

Yes, I'm enjoying KDE Plasma in Kubuntu 18.04. I started with the "Minimal installation" option. I have most of the effects turned off, which does seem to help KDE run nicely on my slow hardware. I've added Openbox to that installation, so I have a choice between the KDE Plasma and Openbox sessions.

#4 2018-09-27 18:49:29

twoion
ほやほや

We got quite an ardent lot here who enjoy the recent KDE very much: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=4979.

I myself switched to KDE 2 years ago and never looked back (to frickling around with a custom WM).

KDE got a bad reputation during the KDE4 days (yes, the early releases sucked, but they got better fast) because people used whatever the "stable" distros snapshotted and distributed to them, which was stale product with lots of bugs and no updates. It's a big problem even now. Just look at (K)Ubuntu 16.04…it's awful compared to current KDE. Terrible QA engineering, esp. at a distro that pretends to be commercially viable as a desktop OS (preinstalled Ubuntu and such).

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#5 2018-09-27 19:24:47

stevep
MX Linux Developer

We had a few people run the script to add the NeptuneOS stretch-based repo to MX 17 to get their newer KDE backports, and they report it works fine and they are very happy with the newer version, too.

So it should also work on Helium, too.

Last edited by stevep (2018-09-27 19:25:38)

#6 2018-09-28 02:12:07

vasa1

Depending on one's needs/usage, several "KDE" features can be turned off.

In krunner's settings, one can turn off various functions.

baloo can be disabled altogether or set to not index file contents. (I use baloo with file content indexing on but it can be an issue for some users.)

Using Discover/Muon can be avoided if one is content with the CLI. I am. Muon in 18.04 rebuilds its "search index" pretty frequently and that can slow down other applications on machines with limited resources. I don't browse software stores. If I read about some software in reputable, IMO, blogs or forums or tech sites, I'll look at it further.

There are things in Startup/Shutdown that you may not need.

This appstream stuff seems to have been accepted across distros (and desktop environments). It can be removed as well until someone makes it "essential".

apt-xapian-index can be removed with some collateral losses but one can always re-install it temporarily.

Some plasma widgets can be heavy and some can leak memory. In case of RAM issues, disabling widgets may be a first option in trouble-shooting.

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#7 2018-09-28 23:16:23

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Obviously, I'm a fan of Plasma 5.13 and newer, I've been running it on Debian since it arrived (currently tracking sid).

If you have 3G ram, run it. If you have 2G ram and you mostly use your box for music, videos, surfing and office stuff, run it.

#8 2018-09-29 02:19:27

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:

Obviously, I'm a fan of Plasma 5.13 and newer, I've been running it on Debian since it arrived (currently tracking sid).

If you have 3G ram, run it. If you have 2G ram and you mostly use your box for music, videos, surfing and office stuff, run it.

Plasma 5.14 is due out around October 9th and from what I read there's more bug fixes coming so Plasma 5 should be getting better.

https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Plasma_5

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-09-29 02:19:56)

Real Men Use Linux

#9 2018-09-29 02:21:02

DeepDayze

vasa1 wrote:

Depending on one's needs/usage, several "KDE" features can be turned off.

In krunner's settings, one can turn off various functions.

baloo can be disabled altogether or set to not index file contents. (I use baloo with file content indexing on but it can be an issue for some users.)

Using Discover/Muon can be avoided if one is content with the CLI. I am. Muon in 18.04 rebuilds its "search index" pretty frequently and that can slow down other applications on machines with limited resources. I don't browse software stores. If I read about some software in reputable, IMO, blogs or forums or tech sites, I'll look at it further.

There are things in Startup/Shutdown that you may not need.

This appstream stuff seems to have been accepted across distros (and desktop environments). It can be removed as well until someone makes it "essential".

apt-xapian-index can be removed with some collateral losses but one can always re-install it temporarily.

Some plasma widgets can be heavy and some can leak memory. In case of RAM issues, disabling widgets may be a first option in trouble-shooting.

I kicked Discover/appstream as I prefer to control the updates myself and less resources used. Most of the KDE apps such as dolphin and gwenview pull in baloo while the base plasma-desktop baloo is absent.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-09-29 02:22:25)

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2018-09-29 17:36:04

cloverskull

On my Intel Nuc (I forget the details, it's one of those skull ones with an Intel GPU) performance is excellent. I have a powerful CPU and plenty of RAM, along with two NVME hard drives in an LVM, so I'm using high performing hardware...but performance feels equal to a minimal Openbox configuration.

I should mention that Ubuntu Mint felt a lot slower, as did debian running Gnome.

So, yeah...KDE Plasma is nice. I love the consistent theming. Why oh why did GTK become so fractured?!

#11 2018-09-29 23:16:02

hhh
That's easy!
Website

cloverskull wrote:

Why oh why did GTK become so fractured?!

GNOME's GTK3, that's the how. The why is that they want everyone to use adwaita, it defines their "brand".

The configuration files, besides breaking with every new upgrade, are insane. SASS to compile, colored asset images by the dozens (don't want royal blue? Change them all!), and hard-coded colors (some hex codes and some RGB values for the same color, WTF???!!!!?????) in the 3000+ line css/scss files when they could use @bg_color, @selected_bg_color, etc... instead. And then you have to theme again for GTK2. It's come to the point where I can barely theme GTK any more.

#12 2018-09-30 00:50:31

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:
cloverskull wrote:

Why oh why did GTK become so fractured?!

GNOME's GTK3, that's the how. The why is that they want everyone to use adwaita, it defines their "brand".

The configuration files, besides breaking with every new upgrade, are insane. SASS to compile, colored asset images by the dozens (don't want royal blue? Change them all!), and hard-coded colors (some hex codes and some RGB values for the same color, WTF???!!!!?????) in the 3000+ line css/scss files when they could use @bg_color, @selected_bg_color, etc... instead. And then you have to theme again for GTK2. It's come to the point where I can barely theme GTK any more.

KDE itself breaks many times itself with the frequent Qt updates as well as the Plasma framework, like what you saw in Testing. GNOME is totally broken IMO while KDE is pretty usable now.

Openbox (and Fluxbox) is quite mature so it's been stable through all the updates and all that yet performance is blazing compared to KDE/GNOME/Xfce.

Real Men Use Linux

Board footer