You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-10 09:29:58

spinach

Dual boot Windows 10 (uefi?)

Hey everyone!

I have a Toshiba laptop where I currently dual boot Windows 10 (upgraded from Win 8.1) and Xubuntu 14.04. I am looking to replace Xubuntu with Bunsen, and I was wondering about how difficult it is going be.

Can I install the distro from a live USB after booting in CMS mode and then switch the laptop back to UEFI mode after installation for business as usual, or will there be more tinkering along the road?

#2 2015-11-10 10:08:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Dual boot Windows 10 (uefi?)

spinach wrote:

more tinkering

^ This.
smile

The BunsenLabs live ISO will not boot or install in UEFI mode.

However, systems can be installed in "Legacy" mode (CSM) and then converted afterwards by following the guide(s) linked in my sugnature (be sure to disable Secure Boot for the installation).

Alternatively, use a Debian netinstall ISO image [1] to boot in UEFI mode & install a minimal (non-X) Debian jessie system and then download & run johnraff's script [2] to install BL on top of that.

[1] http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unoff … 64/iso-cd/
[2] https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-netinstall & http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=39656

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2015-11-11 11:22:25

spinach

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The BunsenLabs live ISO will not boot or install in UEFI mode.

However, systems can be installed in "Legacy" mode (CSM) and then converted afterwards by following the guide(s) linked in my sugnature (be sure to disable Secure Boot for the installation).

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I saw the guide earlier and the line at the bottom that said that I should leave it be if I were to dual boot Windows. I can't afford to tinker with my windows partitions at the moment, so I'll try the other method instead.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

use a Debian netinstall ISO image [1] to boot in UEFI mode & install a minimal (non-X) Debian jessie system and then download & run johnraff's script [2] to install BL on top of that.

Is there any disadvantage to doing it this way compared to the first method? Or will I end up with a normal install of Bunsen (provided I do everything right, of course)?

Last edited by spinach (2015-11-11 11:22:39)

#4 2015-11-11 11:29:51

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

spinach wrote:

I saw the guide earlier and the line at the bottom that said that I should leave it be if I were to dual boot Windows. I can't afford to tinker with my windows partitions at the moment, so I'll try the other method instead.

That warning just refers to copying the GRUB .efi loader to $ESP/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

All the other steps should be "safe" and are easily reversible.

Re: johnraff's script

The advantage is it's flexibility -- it can be used to install a UEFI system or it can be used along with debootstrap(8) to install the system to Btrfs subvolumes & RAID arrays and other corner cases not covered well by the installer.

The disadvantage is that it requires the user to be comfortable booting to a console-only system then downloading, extracting and running the script.

The final system should be the same as that installed by the live ISO with a few extra packages (due to space considerations on the ISO).

Personally, I much prefer to install with debootstrap(8) and the script simply because it gives me more control over the process.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Board footer