You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-22 20:58:49

redrobo66

BLOB Themes Manager video

Just made a short video on the theme manager:

https://youtu.be/vHuF5n3SbRw

Last edited by redrobo66 (2018-07-22 21:00:15)

#2 2018-07-22 23:51:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: BLOB Themes Manager video

Great! Your desktop looks great, too. You know I've been using your wallpaper and have been theming accordingly.

BLOB was created by @damo for BunsenLabs. I don't know if anyone else is using it (ArchLabs, maybe?) I'm pretty sure we're the only ones who have a debian package for it...

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-utilities

https://eu.pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian/po … utilities/

sudo apt install bunsen-utilities

-edit- Gratuitous Plasma scrot, not related to anything in this thread...

Screenshot_2018-07-22_20-45-05.th.png

#3 2018-07-23 07:52:57

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Thanks for this Rob!

I sometimes wonder how many people get round to using Damo's creation - it is really quite neat.

Damo hasn't been back for some time now, and I was reluctant to tinker too much with his work, but maybe for Lithium a few details could be improved - like, for example, saving the actual tint2 config file instead of just a reference to it. That way people who edit the default tintrc could still get the standard BL settings back. smile

About LightDM setting -  the immediate reason it's disabled now is that it's a system setting for all users, and needs root powers to change. (Everything else BLOB handles is in user-space.) Since we dropped the needed gksu from Helium (in fact other dependencies bring it back in, but it will be gone for sure in Lithium) it would have to be done - if at all - with pkexec which is a bit more complicated. So the choice will be to incorporate the login and grub wallpaper settings too, or just stay with personal user settings.

Another option could be to let BLOB save things like the openbox menu too, allowing alternative tool setups like "graphics desktop", "network desktop" or "minimal desktop"...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#4 2018-07-23 08:19:19

Jimbo_G

johnraff wrote:

I sometimes wonder how many people get round to using Damo's creation - it is really quite neat.

Yep, very useful but probably underused - so a good choice for a video! Thanks Rob

#5 2018-07-23 19:25:17

redrobo66

Thanks for the comments all.

I think in time a BLOB+ would be very welcome, extending to save some of the additional config files.

#6 2018-07-25 20:54:09

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

It might be a bit of a mistery to new users what BLOB Themes Manager actually is (and how great it is), so good to have a video like that (some users might think of binary blobs when seeing the word BLOB and there is also Blob Service on Azure, which is some kind of storage for unstructured text and binary data as blobs that can be accessed by a HTTP(S) path).

A minor detail that could be fixed is that it's called BLOB Themes Manager in the menu, while it is BLOB Configuration Manager in the tool itself.

Last edited by martix (2018-07-25 21:03:05)

#7 2018-07-25 22:52:41

hhh
Meep!
Website

martix wrote:

A minor detail that could be fixed is that it's called BLOB Themes Manager in the menu, while it is BLOB Configuration Manager in the tool itself.

Nice catch, we'll take care of it. Remind us if we don't! smile

Board footer