You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-11 09:07:33

TheMCTipers

Getting back the old lightdm greeter

How would I be able to get back the old lightdm greeter from bunsenlabs deuterium in bunsenlabs helium? I prefer how that greeter works compared to the new one. Poking around, it seems that both are using lightdm-gtk-greeter, but I cannot see why the old one would have a different look than the new one if they're using the same greeter.

#2 2018-07-11 09:23:08

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Re: Getting back the old lightdm greeter

^Compare /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen.conf on helium with /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.bunsen on deuterium. There isn't much difference really - mostly the GTK theme, but that's all we do.

However, what has changed considerably between Debian Jessie and Stretch is lightdm-gtk-greeter itself.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#3 2018-07-12 04:15:55

hhh
That's easy!
Website

TheMCTipers wrote:

I prefer how that greeter works compared to the new one.

What feature(s) or behavior(s) do you mean? I didn't think the upgrade was drastic, but I've been messing around with greeters lately and can't recall.

#4 2018-07-12 07:47:05

TheMCTipers

hhh wrote:
TheMCTipers wrote:

I prefer how that greeter works compared to the new one.

What feature(s) or behavior(s) do you mean? I didn't think the upgrade was drastic, but I've been messing around with greeters lately and can't recall.

Mainly the look of it and how it requires me to type in my username instead of having my username listed as an option. The old one requires you to type in the username while the new one has it in a dropdown box and is automatically picked.

#5 2018-07-12 08:01:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

TheMCTipers wrote:

The old one requires you to type in the username while the new one has it in a dropdown box and is automatically picked.

This is a LightDM setting. To get back to type-in usernames, open /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as root, find the [Seat:*] heading, and under that, the line

#greeter-hide-users=false

Uncomment that, and set it to true, ie

greeter-hide-users=true

Last edited by johnraff (2018-07-12 08:02:40)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#6 2018-07-12 16:12:11

hhh
That's easy!
Website

The look of it is the lightdm-gtk-greeter theme. I'll have to install the hydrogen theme (linked below) to see what the difference is and if the old theme can be used on helium/stretch. I have tomorrow off, I'll look into (no promises, though!)

Install it yourself and test by copying the theme folder to /usr/share/themes and editing /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen.conf (change theme-name=Beam to theme-name=Bunsen-lightdm)...

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-th … en-lightdm

#7 2018-07-13 14:13:41

TheMCTipers

hhh wrote:

The look of it is the lightdm-gtk-greeter theme. I'll have to install the hydrogen theme (linked below) to see what the difference is and if the old theme can be used on helium/stretch. I have tomorrow off, I'll look into (no promises, though!)

Install it yourself and test by copying the theme folder to /usr/share/themes and editing /usr/share/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf.d/50_bunsen.conf (change theme-name=Beam to theme-name=Bunsen-lightdm)...

https://github.com/BunsenLabs/bunsen-th … en-lightdm

Seems to be working but now there is no shadows and shading on the greeter, all one shade of grey for everything, can't really describe it so here's a picture. Can't printscreen sadly.

mc1g542.jpg

Last edited by TheMCTipers (2018-07-13 14:14:02)

#8 2018-07-15 21:48:25

hhh
That's easy!
Website

OK, so the theme breaks in stretch.

I'll add 'create a dark theme for helium's lightdm-gtk-greeter' to my to-do list. I'll post back when I have something.

#9 2018-07-15 22:39:21

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:

OK, so the theme breaks in stretch.

I'll add 'create a dark theme for helium's lightdm-gtk-greeter' to my to-do list. I'll post back when I have something.

Think the theme breaks because of the big version bump of gtk between jessie and stretch, as gtk themes for jessie are not compatible with the newer gtk version in stretch it appears.

Real Men Use Linux

#10 2018-07-16 00:20:35

hhh
That's easy!
Website

^ OK, thanks.

Board footer