You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-05 18:52:41

ghorvath

Default expiration time of xfce4-notifyd

I was wondering if nobody else felt that the 10 sec default expiration time for notification popups is paiiiiiiinfully looooong.

I set it to 3 sec, and just curious if this is something where it might be worth checking if the default needs changing.

#2 2018-07-05 23:22:06

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Re: Default expiration time of xfce4-notifyd

I set mine to 30 seconds, this is a personal preference. I've used settings of as much as 2 minutes, I prefer to dismiss the message manually (click it) rather than miss the message entirely, though critical messages always need to be manually dismissed IIRC.

Please note that in all BL releases to date, the volume notification timeout is set in pnmixer's preferences and is in milliseconds (1000ms=1 second).

#3 2018-07-06 02:02:25

DeepDayze

hhh wrote:

I set mine to 30 seconds, this is a personal preference. I've used settings of as much as 2 minutes, I prefer to dismiss the message manually (click it) rather than miss the message entirely, though critical messages always need to be manually dismissed IIRC.

Please note that in all BL releases to date, the volume notification timeout is set in pnmixer's preferences and is in milliseconds (1000ms=1 second).

Sounds like a good default of 10-30 seconds in that range and I think the notification default popup timeout  for pnmixer of 1.5 sec is fine IMO however.

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-07-06 02:03:21)

Real Men Use Linux

#4 2018-07-06 05:39:42

ghorvath

hhh wrote:

Wow, that would really be a lot for me! I am wondering, however, how many messages do you get when the message pops up for some other reason than your actual input (like pressing the volume button or connecting the ethernet cable/turning on the wifi, etc)? In such cases it is rather hard to miss the message even in a shorter period, since you are expecting it.

I have keyboard backlight which is very disturbing when you watch a movie. So I wrote a script that automatically sets keyboard backlight off after 1 min of inactivity. And when the keyboard backlight is turned off, it sends a popup message. Having this popup message for 10 seconds disrupts watching the movie for too long for me, that was one of the main reasons I set it to a shorter time.

Of course, as you said, it all comes down to preferences. I am just curious what preferences people have.

hhh wrote:

Hm, I did not know that, thanks for the info!

#5 2018-07-06 20:09:03

hhh
That's easy!
Website

ghorvath wrote:

I have keyboard backlight which is very disturbing when you watch a movie. So I wrote a script that automatically sets keyboard backlight off after 1 min of inactivity. And when the keyboard backlight is turned off, it sends a popup message. Having this popup message for 10 seconds disrupts watching the movie for too long for me, that was one of the main reasons I set it to a shorter time.

I see. Well, how about a script to instantly turn off the backlight, or after a delay time, and set a keyboard shortcut to run it? Hit the shortcut, then start your movie?

As for a reason to set timeout higher, my media player sends notifications on song-change and I like having some time to stop what I'm doing and look at the screen to see what's playing if I'm not familiar with the song.

Another instance is to receive a battery warning on low power, I don't want to miss that if I'm away from the box for a couple of minutes (though the systray icon is also very helpful).

#6 2018-07-07 09:15:44

ohnonot
...again
Website

ghorvath wrote:

why don't you just change the script instead?
something like

pidof mpv || notify-send bla

so it doesn't send a notification when your media player is active.

Board footer