You are not logged in.

#1 2018-07-01 11:56:47

wammes
Website

update widget taskbar

Does an update widget for the taskbar exist? It's handy if you are warned that updates are available. I may be asking for the impossible wink

#2 2018-07-01 12:25:42

twoion
ほやほや

Re: update widget taskbar

I think gnome-packagekit provides what you're looking for (at least Debian says it provides an 'update-notifier').

In order to make this work, you need to install that package and then find out which binary to add to XDG autostart, probably org.gnome.PackageUpdater.desktop, by symlinking /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.PackageUpdater.desktop into ~/.config/autostart.

I don't know if this just notifies you (via a notification popup) or also adds an applet to the systray. You'll have to find out…

A silent kite against the blue, blue sky

#3 2018-07-01 17:33:54

ohnonot
...again
Website

since tint2 is the panel we use, you can use the Executor plugin with a self-written script that provides exactly what you want, with icon, with text.
look at the tint2 wiki to see some examples.

does it have to be a taskbar widget?

i could think of several other (selfmade) solutions, involving conky, notify-send, hell maybe even anytray if that still works, or some python script (python provides libraries to create systray icons).

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-07-01 17:35:37)

#4 2018-07-01 20:19:55

wammes
Website

Thanks guys. I will look into it. Homework wink

#5 2018-07-01 23:05:06

sleekmason

If you open Thunar and go to /etc/apt, and "left-click" on sources.list, you are presented with a menu that allows you to select updates daily, every two days weekly, every two weeks, and never.

However, the option that reads "when there are other updates" is greyed out.  The one for security updates is not. I know this isn't a tray icon, but might suit your needs. 

Also, the apt-notifier from antiX works, (at least shows the updates originally), but won't allow to click on the icon for install.

I know they are still using gksu.  This isn't really my area here. Could this be adapted?  It works pretty well. https://github.com/AdrianTM/apt-notifier

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

Board footer