You are not logged in.

#1 2018-06-17 09:33:39

ghorvath

Put conky into bl backports?

I was wondering if conky could be put into bl-backports.

A new feature which might be somewhat important is the

detect_battery

capability, which was merged into the master branch end of April:
https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues/190

Currently battery device BAT0 is hardcoded into the source files of conky, and this feature makes it possible to change to BAT1 or BAT2, etc, depending on the laptop. So whoever has BAT1, BAT2, etc. battery device on their laptops instead of BAT0 would benefit from this if they use

update_interval_on_battery

#2 2018-06-19 16:43:22

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Re: Put conky into bl backports?

conky is what I would call a "basic element' of the BunsenLabs desktop, so I am fully all-in to providing a current version in our backports.

-edit- Hmm, not much of an upgrade available in Debian...
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=conky-all

Nore from the source...
https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/re … ag/v1.10.8

This is up to @johnraff, @twoion or @HoaS, they're the ones maintaining our packages. I should step up to the plate on this, though. I'm sure that incremental update has some good stuff in it.

Last edited by hhh (2018-06-19 16:47:57)

#3 2018-06-19 16:55:12

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Gaa! I was going to backport it, but I'm already running the latest version available in Debian...

rachel@TyrellCorp:~$ apt-cache policy conky-all
conky-all:
  Installed: 1.10.8-1+b1
  Candidate: 1.10.8-1+b1
  Version table:
 *** 1.10.8-1+b1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian buster/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
rachel@TyrellCorp:~$ 

buster freeze starts in January, prepare to dist-upgrade, everyone!

#4 2018-06-20 03:39:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@ghorvath I'm not a conky expert at all, but I see in 'man conky' for Stretch's 1.10.6-1 a number of references to different battery numbers that can be set:

man conky wrote:

battery (num)
              Battery status and remaining percentage capacity of  ACPI  or  APM
              battery.  ACPI battery number can be given as argument (default is
              BAT0).

battery_bar (height),(width) (num)
              Battery percentage remaining of ACPI battery in a bar.  ACPI  bat‐
              tery  number can be given as argument (default is BAT0, use all to
              get the mean percentage remaining for all batteries).

battery_percent (num)
              Battery percentage remaining for ACPI battery.  ACPI battery  num‐
              ber  can be given as argument (default is BAT0, use all to get the
              mean percentage remaining for all batteries).

battery_short (num)
              Battery status and remaining percentage capacity of  ACPI  or  APM
              battery.  ACPI battery number can be given as argument (default is
              BAT0). This mode display a short status, which  means  that  C  is
              displayed  instead  of  charging, D for discharging, F for full, N
              for not present, E for empty and U for unknown.

battery_time (num)
              Battery charge/discharge time remaining of ACPI battery. ACPI bat‐
              tery number can be given as argument (default is BAT0).

This says that the default is BAT0 but others can be set.

The extra functionality in detect_battery is only for using update_interval_on_battery?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2018-06-20 19:33:58

ghorvath

johnraff wrote:

The extra functionality in detect_battery is only for using update_interval_on_battery?

I am no conky expert, either, but the github issue I linked in the OP was closed right after the commit introducing detect_battery, and also the commit message said that the corresponding issue is fixed. So I would say yes.

I looked at some forums, and they claimed that BAT0 was hardcoded in the source for update_interval_on_battery. And the only way to make it work was to download the source, manually rewrite it to BAT1, and then recompile it.

However, I never tried it, because I would not like to mess with compiling such a core Bunsenlabs package on my shiny bl-helium laptop, especially if it were possible to load it from backports as a proper package. ;-)

#6 2018-06-21 03:40:05

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Well, compiling and maintaining a backported package is not a trivial task. We need to be sure that the reasons for doing so are urgent enough...

John
--------------------

#7 2018-06-21 03:55:49

hhh
That's easy!
Website

^ This should be a simple backport, though I haven't tried it.

Non-critical for now, if you ask me, the user can backport it. But a recent conky should be default or a welcome option for buster/lithium, I would say.

#8 2018-06-21 06:38:35

ohnonot
...again
Website

ghorvath wrote:

I looked at some forums, and they claimed that BAT0 was hardcoded in the source for update_interval_on_battery. And the only way to make it work was to download the source, manually rewrite it to BAT1, and then recompile it.

i think you looked in the wrong places, or for the wrong answers:
https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/issues/190

#9 2018-06-21 06:43:17

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

But a recent conky should be default or a welcome option for buster/lithium, I would say.

Sure, but Buster will presumably already ship a fairly new conky? How much better the very latest version is than that, and whether that's enough to justify a BL backport, we'll have to decide at the time I guess.

What I meant about non-trivial for BL backports was not necessarily the difficulty of compiling but also the resposibility that then comes of keeping it up to date with any security fixes. Debian would otherwise do that for us.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-06-21 06:45:41)

John
--------------------

#10 2018-06-24 13:55:48

ghorvath

johnraff wrote:
hhh wrote:

But a recent conky should be default or a welcome option for buster/lithium, I would say.

Sure, but Buster will presumably already ship a fairly new conky? How much better the very latest version is than that, and whether that's enough to justify a BL backport, we'll have to decide at the time I guess.

I would not want to offend anyone, but bl-Helium came out a full year after Debian Stretch, which was in freeze for half year. So all packages at the time of bl-Helium coming out were 1.5 years outdated (1 year if we say that during the freeze there was no development, only bugfixes). If the same schedule will be kept for Buster and Lithium....

In any case, I threw the idea out there. Considering that I do not have the time to check out how to backport something, and definitely not to maintain the stuff afterwards, I completely understand if conky will not be backported to bl-Helium. To me it is not a very urgent/important matter, anyway, I will continue to use (and love) bl-Helium either way.

#11 2018-06-25 03:56:51

hhh
That's easy!
Website

ghorvath wrote:

If the same schedule will be kept for Buster and Lithium....

It won't, I'm already running buster and @johnraff has been playing with it too.

Last year was bad for me, personally. I had major life-issues to deal with. Additionally, one of our team members moved to a different country, then moved back. We each had distractions that had to be attended to.

Fingers crossed, that's not the case this year. We're well aware that the freeze process for buster will start in January, with a probable release date of a year from now, about. We'll be ready with lithium at the release of buster, or very soon after.

#12 2018-06-25 09:26:31

orionH

ghorvath wrote:

So all packages at the time of bl-Helium coming out were 1.5 years outdated (1 year if we say that during the freeze there was no development, only bugfixes).

That depends of who you compare with. This is Debian stable after all.

#13 2018-06-25 18:42:47

ghorvath

orionH wrote:
ghorvath wrote:

So all packages at the time of bl-Helium coming out were 1.5 years outdated (1 year if we say that during the freeze there was no development, only bugfixes).

That depends of who you compare with. This is Debian stable after all.

Since we were talking about backporting the newest version, we compare it with that.

#14 2018-06-25 21:33:24

ohnonot
...again
Website

people who throw the word "outdated" around like that really shouldn't be using debian stable, or anything based thereon.

and i say that without malice; debian stable on my server, yay, but something less "outdated" for my desktop.

Board footer