You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-22 15:03:54

schwim
Website

[VM] Making Ubu minimal Bunsen-like

Hi there everyone!

I've cluttered up your forums with requests to help me fix problems related to trying to make popular Ubu installs more like Bunsen.  I was mistakenly thinking that it would be the quickest way for me to achieve the look and feel of Bunsen with the repos of latest Ubu.  I thought it would take more work to make a minimal install emulate BL.

Days in to trying to fix a single flaw with Conky in Lubuntu and with more issues lining up behind it, I figure it can't hurt to try out turning a minimal Ubu server install into something that acts like BL.

My needs are pretty simple.  It will be installed in a VBox vm so there's some stuff I don't need, like sensors, printing and wifi so I'm trying to come up with an install process that I can document.  I'm having a bit of trouble on that end.  I found this how-to but was unable to get a working OB session.  I'm going to post the install process below and ask if you guys could help me cut out the stuff I don't need while adding the stuff that I do.  My goal is to get a clean Ubu install so I can save the vm and have a written record of how to do it again if I decide to start fresh with another Ubu version.

Here's my first attempt (failed) from the how-to linked above:

sudo apt-get install gpm software-properties-common geany numlockx

sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall libgtk2.0-dev libmenu-cache-dev

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg xserver-xorg-core xfonts-base xinit x11-xserver-utils libgtk-3-bin x11-session-utils

sudo apt-get install gvfs gvfs-backends policykit-1

sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad pulseaudio gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio pavucontrol volti

sudo apt-get install openbox obconf obmenu menu xfce4-terminal xfce4-panel conky curl lm-sensors hddtemp xfce4-notifyd xfce4-appfinder gmrun menulibre xfdesktop4 xdotool xfce4-goodies update-notifier xfce4-settings

sudo apt-get install thunar thunar-volman thunar-archive-plugin thunar-media-tags-plugin lxappearance tumbler

sudo apt-get install aptitude synaptic gdebi

sudo apt-get install xfce4-power-manager xfce4-sensors-plugin gnome-system-monitor

This did not get me a running OB session.  I installed lightdm which did start successfully but will not start a session when I log in.  I've got a backup of a fresh minimal Ubu start if I need it but wanted to ask what I'm missing (or need to remove) to continue the process of getting what I need out of it (a BL-like experience).

Thanks for your time!

Schw.im! A social site with an identity crisis.

#2 2018-04-22 16:33:43

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

Re: [VM] Making Ubu minimal Bunsen-like

I installed lightdm which did start successfully but will not start a session when I log in.

Can you elaborate on this. Was openbox an option on thr menu and it failed to start?

You can check the ~/.xsessions-errors to get an idea of what went wrong.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#3 2018-04-22 17:25:50

schwim
Website

PackRat wrote:

Can you elaborate on this. Was openbox an option on thr menu and it failed to start?

You can check the ~/.xsessions-errors to get an idea of what went wrong.

Hi there Packrat,

When I boot and try to log in, I get this : https://i.imgur.com/xXwrk5H.png

I haven't figured out how to move text from a vm in this primitive state to my host computer so I'm currently unable to paste my xsession-errors, but I don't see any mention of my failed login attempt in the file.  If I can figure out how to transfer the data, I'll paste the errors file.

Odd but this doesn't even look like lightdm to me.

#4 2018-04-23 01:26:38

schwim
Website

I figured out the session start issue, I needed to add the lightdm greeter.  I'm into the desktop and will update the thread when I run into my next hurdle.

#5 2018-04-23 03:58:57

ohnonot
...again
Website

just a quick remark:
i once did this with a debian netinst, and i basically just did

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get install openbox

that pulled the X server in for sure, but not much else; it was a lot of hassle to get filemanagers, icons, usb automount and such working.

still, i'd trust openbox to pull in The Right Stuff (tm); maybe this time I'd look at dependencies, recommends and suggests, and install with one of these options explicitely:

apt-cache depends openbox # to get an overview
apt-get install --no-install-recommends openbox
apt-get install --install-recommends openbox
apt-get install --install-suggests openbox

Last edited by ohnonot (2018-04-23 04:01:34)

#6 2018-04-23 12:07:53

schwim
Website

ohnonot wrote:

that pulled the X server in for sure, but not much else; it was a lot of hassle to get filemanagers, icons, usb automount and such working.

Hi there Ohno and thanks for the suggestion.  It's just as I remember doing this the last time.  Getting a working OB desktop is not too much of a problem but having to change absolutely every aspect of it is what is such a drag.  Everything from the ugly-as-sin 80's mouse cursor to finding out not only what application you need, but all the extra plugins and modules to make it behave as it should and then adding the correct menu entries. For tinker time, it's a amusement park but for someone that would just like to get some work done, it can become quite trying at times.  Add in the fact that I'm not proficient at this and sometimes something simple like just getting the right volume control can take a whole day. I'd be crippled if it weren't for the help of this forum.

That being said, I'm getting there. If I can get it far enough without breaking it, I'll save a copy of the install and use it until I need a later version of the OS.

#7 2018-04-23 13:23:23

schwim
Website

My next issue:  LightDM autologin

I've installed lightdm and the lightdm-greeter and would like to have the system automatically log me to the desktop.  All of my searching(and the Arch wiki) tell me to edit  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to add the necessary entries.  My issue is that there is no lightdm.conf in that directory:

schwim@schwim-vm-ubob:/etc/lightdm$ ls -la
total 28
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Apr 22 21:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 135 root root 12288 Apr 23 01:23 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  2970 Mar 20 09:53 lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Mar 21 23:12 lightdm.conf.d
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   452 Mar 21 23:12 users.conf

The dir lightdm.conf.d is empty.

I'm guessing that the system either changed or Ubu has bastardized it's configuration structure but I can't find any record of how to do it in 18.04.  Any help on figuring it out would be greatly appreciated!

#8 2018-04-23 14:33:32

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

#9 2018-04-24 05:19:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

schwim wrote:

My next issue:  LightDM autologin

I've installed lightdm and the lightdm-greeter and would like to have the system automatically log me to the desktop.  All of my searching(and the Arch wiki) tell me to edit  /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to add the necessary entries.  My issue is that there is no lightdm.conf in that directory:

schwim@schwim-vm-ubob:/etc/lightdm$ ls -la
total 28
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Apr 22 21:19 .
drwxr-xr-x 135 root root 12288 Apr 23 01:23 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 root root  2970 Mar 20 09:53 lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Mar 21 23:12 lightdm.conf.d
-rw-r--r--   1 root root   452 Mar 21 23:12 users.conf

The dir lightdm.conf.d is empty.

I'm guessing that the system either changed or Ubu has bastardized it's configuration structure but I can't find any record of how to do it in 18.04.  Any help on figuring it out would be greatly appreciated!

Write the config you want on a file and put it in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d
Just the entries you want to change will do, the rest will be picked up from the default config, probably in /usr/share/lightdm.
You'll probably need to reboot to see the change.

In fact, it was on Bronto's linked page too: https://askubuntu.com/a/456957

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#10 2018-04-24 12:25:07

schwim
Website

Hi there johnraff and thanks a bunch for the help,

I created the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/lightdm.conf  and placed only the following into it:

autologin-user=schwim
autologin-user-timeout=0

On restart, I'm still asked to log in. Perhaps I named it incorrectly or I need to do something to get lightdm to recognize the change?

I did a text search for bronto on the askubu page linked in your post but didn't find anything.

#11 2018-04-24 13:21:00

vasa1

schwim wrote:

I did a text search for bronto on the askubu page linked in your post but didn't find anything.

I think johnraff was pointing to a specific answer by nkef on the page bronto linked to and not to a post on that page made by bronto.

Using the Openbox (3.5.2) session of Lubuntu 14.04 LTS but very interested in BL :)

#12 2018-04-24 13:59:09

schwim
Website

Oh I see, thanks very much.  I think I figured out what I did wrong.  The file required:

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-user=schwim
autologin-user-timeout=0

which got me an auto login, so thanks very much for the help on that.

------------------------------

NEXT ISSUE: screen going black on idle

I've uninstalled gnome-screensaver(I guess it got pulled in as a suggested) and Ive tried adding

xset s off         # don't activate screensaver
xset -dpms         # disable DPMS (Energy Star) features.
xset s noblank     # don't blank the video device

to both autostart and .xinitrc but the screen continues to go black.  Any idea how I can get the screen to stay awake?  It's a VM so I don't need any type of power management.

#13 2018-04-24 18:11:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

schwim wrote:

screen going black on idle

Try using light-locker, that's designed to work with LightDM.

This guide shows how to stop it from blanking the screen:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2080

Actually, try this in the autostart file instead:

xset s off -dpms

(Unless you've already tried both options together, it's not clear from your post if this is the case.)

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-24 18:14:23)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#14 2018-04-25 12:34:01

schwim
Website

Hi the head, I made your suggested changed and gave it a day and it seems to have worked great, thanks so much!

#15 2018-06-12 18:17:22

hhh
That's easy!
Website

I'm adding the prefix [VM], for virtual machine, to the subject title. There are separate issues that arise when using a VM, so I'd like those threads to be clearly marked. Thanks!

#16 2018-06-12 18:33:53

hhh
That's easy!
Website

I see schwim has this working now, but I'll add that I've been messing with the "minimal install" option (installs a full desktop but not the full suite of applications that the standard install offers) of the latest Ubuntu Bionic LTS Release (18.04). I've used the Ubuntu Mate and Xubuntu editions and then stripped out unneeded programs and daemons with great success on bare metal. I wouldn't recommend using Lubuntu as LXDE adds there own spin to Openbox, which makes configuring OB "the BunsenLabs way" overly complicated, IMO.

Here's what I came up with using Ubuntu Mate and then stripping mate out, it runs at essentially the same RAM as BL. ATM I've only added bunsen-exit and some BL configs, themes, icons and a wall to an Ubuntu system...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 270#p73270

Board footer