You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-28 15:24:59

DeepDayze

Re: Terminator vs urxvt vs others (1 mor time)

ohnonot wrote:

maybe cool-retro-term should become the new default in BL?
wink

The green screen brings back many memories, and I might try out installing Motif Window Manager to try recreating a retro desktop just for fun smile

Real Men Use Linux

#27 2018-04-28 15:56:29

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I'm changing my vote to xterm, this whole truecolour thing is really bothering me and xterm is actually lighter than urxvt:

5.5 MiB + 469.5 KiB =   6.0 MiB       xterm
  6.2 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   7.2 MiB       urxvtd

^ That looks close until I reveal that there are no urxvt windows open... hmm

EDIT: changed my mind again, for BL-He urxvt is the choice because the ncurses version doesn't support true colour anyway.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-28 17:53:14)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#28 2018-04-28 16:02:55

DeepDayze

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I'm changing my vote to xterm, this whole truecolour thing is really bothering me and xterm is actually lighter than urxvt:

5.5 MiB + 469.5 KiB =   6.0 MiB       xterm
  6.2 MiB +   1.1 MiB =   7.2 MiB       urxvtd

^ That looks close until I reveal that there are no urxvt windows open... hmm

Only thing you can't get with xterm is that fancy transparency...unless it is now possible.

Real Men Use Linux

#29 2018-04-28 16:09:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Only thing you can't get with xterm is that fancy transparency...unless it is now possible.

No, it cannot do that.

But then neither can the current version of GNOME-terminal.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#30 2018-04-28 21:20:26

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

hhh wrote:

This can easily end up going to Topics Going Nowhere, but, one more time...

Yes this topic does often (always?) go around in circles. I have a solution to that. TTY FTW!

Ok, I'll go sit in the corner now.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#31 2018-04-28 22:42:01

DeepDayze

Anaconda wrote:
hhh wrote:

Yes this topic does often (always?) go around in circles. I have a solution to that. TTY FTW!

Yep everyone has his/her favorite terminal and brag about how good it is for them  cool

Always fodder for endless debates!

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
DeepDayze wrote:

No, it cannot do that.

But then neither can the current version of GNOME-terminal.

Sadly that one as well. Why can't that be?

Last edited by DeepDayze (2018-04-28 22:43:51)

Real Men Use Linux

#32 2018-04-29 03:58:19

Addy
Website

I vote for URxvt smile

If it ain't broke, then tweak it until it breaks.

#33 2018-04-29 08:36:40

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

DeepDayze wrote:

There are how-to steps in the Arch-wiki. It's not built-in transparency, but it looks like it might be done. I think on LXDE xterm is the default terminal, it has "paste from clipboard" on right-click.

I just noticed in this article how popular Terminator seems to be. I like it too, although the one that impressed me out-of-the-box was Tilix (btw it looks like those "topics going nowhere" threads do not turn up in search engine results). Tilix offers tiling, attach/detach, copy/paste, all open terminal windows on a sidebar after F12, shortcuts, transparency, background image, quake mode and all the bells&whistles imaginable.

#34 2018-04-29 13:02:21

Nili
Website

Last time i used Terminator It was when i used #! One day when I was suggested URxvt. I realized immediately that this was what I needed. Of course I did a check of many terminals in years where each has its own features as well as many DE, APPS also console have his pros and cons. However URxvt was my train.

Another URxvt voice here!

Android: S8+ Hi-Res (32/24-bit 96kHz) WAV/FLAC @ mora.jp (sounds good)

#35 2018-04-29 23:59:21

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Anaconda wrote:
hhh wrote:

A purist at heart, nothing wrong with that. smile

I'm actually quite pleased with this thread, I thought it might be a disaster but there's some insightful discussion going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD-AXgYO0lo

#36 2018-05-13 16:59:56

alef

My two cents:

I started to use rxvt a few weeks ago, as terminator on bunsenLabs Helium caused some issues with my external display (thread).

Terminator was fine for me before that, and I haven't really suffered from its bloat (except perhaps its slow performance at rendering very long output in STDOUT, from time to time).

I'm fine with urxvt, and by principle I'd prefer it to terminator, because it's more lightweight / performant.

Only problem I have is that I want an easy way to split panes or windows, and navigate between them. Just like in terminator. I've installed tmux, and just spent the last 90 minutes struggling to make it work. Main problems:

* the shortcut to switch to preset default layouts does not seem to be working (Alt+[1-5]). Seems like none of the keybindings involving Alt key work.
* setting Control-Tab to switch to next pane does not work, although I've been using a supported syntax, according to a few forums.

I'm not sure of how to conclude. I see the learning curve of tmux as an issue, and might simply just go back to terminator for my daily use. It would be great to have a pre-configured tmux for bunsen, but I understand that there may not be one config to suit to most needs...

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#37 2018-05-14 04:26:53

ohnonot
...again
Website

alef wrote:

Only problem I have is that I want an easy way to split panes or windows, and navigate between them. Just like in terminator. I've installed tmux, and just spent the last 90 minutes struggling to make it work. Main problems:

* the shortcut to switch to preset default layouts does not seem to be working (Alt+[1-5]). Seems like none of the keybindings involving Alt key work.
* setting Control-Tab to switch to next pane does not work, although I've been using a supported syntax, according to a few forums.

I'm not sure of how to conclude. I see the learning curve of tmux as an issue

yep.

btw, on my machine, urxvt comes with an executable called urxvt-tabbed.
tabbed != tiled, but good to know.

#38 2018-05-14 06:49:03

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

alef wrote:

...Only problem I have is that I want an easy way to split panes or windows, and navigate between them. Just like in terminator. I've installed tmux, and just spent the last 90 minutes struggling to make it work. Main problems:

I'm not sure of how to conclude. I see the learning curve of tmux as an issue...

I had the same sort of problems with tmux when I tried it a year or two ago. These days I just jump into TTY or if I'm wanting a GUI terminal I'm using xfce terminal. The tabbed interface is pretty functional, though admittedly not quite the same as a split screen.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#39 2018-05-14 07:38:14

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

^ Default tiles layout switcher seems to be PREFIX + space, so I guess there is a problem with custom config?
https://transfer.sh/2o3dA/05142018.crossovers.0943.mp4

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2018-05-14 08:36:49)

#40 2018-05-14 19:44:06

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

alef wrote:

Only problem I have is that I want an easy way to split panes or windows, and navigate between them.

Did you have a look at Tilix already? It's very convenient with that feature (and more) as it offers an easy way to split via shortcut or right click, just like Terminator.

#41 2018-07-11 16:19:46

nekoseam

Terminator is really nice. It has a very popular and modern colorscheme called Gruvbox as an option and of course there's the Tmux-like pane splitting feature. I don't really see a reason to switch to urxvt.

Board footer