You are not logged in.

#76 2018-04-12 18:42:45

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

@artux: which themes are you actually using?

The output of this command will show for sure:

grep gtk-theme ~/{.gtkrc-2.0,.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini}

I must admit that I haven't actually tried LO in Helium (I prefer texlive), sorry  ops

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#77 2018-04-12 18:43:43

vinzv
Website

For me with Bunsen-He Gtk and Openbox theme activated that Synaptic dialog looks okay:
Bildschirmfoto_2018-04-12_20-36-30.th.png

I suspect there's some issue with the Gtk theme.

#78 2018-04-12 22:44:04

artux

Thanks to Head_on_a_Stick and vinzv for your suggestions. I think I've solved the problem.
The theme I was using was Raleigh.

$ grep gtk-theme ~/{.gtkrc-2.0,.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini}
/home/artux/.gtkrc-2.0:gtk-theme-name="Raleigh"
/home/artux/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:gtk-theme-name=Raleigh

Now I'm using the theme that uses vinzv

$ grep gtk-theme ~/{.gtkrc-2.0,.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini}
/home/artux/.gtkrc-2.0:gtk-theme-name="Bunsen-He"
/home/artux/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini:gtk-theme-name=Bunsen-He

and "magically" everything works, both Firefox/Thunderbird and LibreOffice!

For now I have not tried other themes, but apparently the Raleigh theme has some problems.
By the way, what is the default BunsenLabs theme? I remember I changed it choosing Raleigh, but I do not remember what it was.

If you need some additional information, for example about my hardware, to accurately identify the issue, ask me.

Thank you smile

#79 2018-04-12 23:33:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

artux wrote:

what is the default BunsenLabs theme?

The stock files can be found in /usr/share/bunsen/skel/ so this should tell you:

grep gtk-theme /usr/share/bunsen/skel/{.gtkrc-2.0,.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini}

#80 2018-04-13 00:28:25

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

The default theme for Bunsenlabs Helium is called Beam

#81 2018-04-13 10:11:19

vinzv
Website

artux wrote:

For now I have not tried other themes, but apparently the Raleigh theme has some problems.

Not really, it's just a Gtk2-only theme. So every Gtk3 application will look broken, obviously.
If you really need Raleigh there are some efforts on porting it to Gtk3 you could try: https://github.com/vlastavesely/raleigh-reloaded

#82 2018-04-13 15:39:49

mrneilypops
The BL Scrot.Moe Guy
Website

Helium beta 3 installed.
Sources updated as above.
nvida drivers installed and configured.
Grub install fine on my triple boot machine.
Running very nice thus far...keep up the great work!

2018-04-13-173927_1920x1080_scrot.th.png

Last edited by mrneilypops (2018-04-13 15:42:46)

#83 2018-04-13 22:11:54

artux

vinzv wrote:

Not really, it's just a Gtk2-only theme. So every Gtk3 application will look broken, obviously.
If you really need Raleigh there are some efforts on porting it to Gtk3 you could try: https://github.com/vlastavesely/raleigh-reloaded

Thanks, with your explanation I understood the cause of the malfunction.
My curiosity: why propose themes based on Gtk2, even knowing that the Gtk3 applications would not work well?
But this is not a problem for me: I chose Raleigh just because I liked it, but I also like the theme you use (Bunsen-He).
(I also tried Beam - the default theme - and it works fine too, I guess because it's based on Gtk3).

Thank you all.

#84 2018-04-13 22:21:24

vinzv
Website

artux wrote:

My curiosity: why propose themes based on Gtk2, even knowing that the Gtk3 applications would not work well?

Raleigh is part of the package libgtk2.0-common, a core package of Gtk2. So to rip it out BL devs would have to rebuild a very crucial package from Debian and keep maintaining it.
Furthermore it makes sense to have such a theme available even if they do not work 100% right, just in case to have some simple fallback solution.

#85 2018-04-14 17:00:42

artux

Thanks vinzv, I understand.

#86 2018-04-15 14:16:43

citizen

Installed yesterday everything worked like a charm... congrats.
DQYTbbG.png

Do i need to install again when final version is out ?

#87 2018-04-15 14:45:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

citizen wrote:

Do i need to install again when final version is out ?

No, it should be "good to go", the Debian packages are fixed now for the lifetime of the stretch release and any future BunsenLabs packages will be pushed out when ready rather than to a schedule.

We may tweak the user-level configuration[1] further though and these changes will only be applied automatically for any new users created after the configuration package has been updated — any existing users will have to merge the changes manually.

[1] By this I mean the general desktop configuration such as the openbox & tint2 themes, autostart items, conky[2] and suchlike.

[2] "Conky" is it's own plural, there are no "conkys" or "conkies" tongue

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-15 14:47:41)

#88 2018-04-15 15:30:24

alef

Hi,

I'm finally installing beta3 on one of my machines, no more just testing from a live USB. Feedback:

• related to debian Stretch rather than bunsenLabs itself: the installer complained about wifi firmware not supported, and prompted me to load some non-free ucode firmware files in a removable drive. I ignored it, but right in the following step I could select wifi network, and connect to it.

• in GRUB's main menu, there is a 'High Contrast Text option, below the list of distros. When I select this option, the screen's header and footer (grub version and instructions, respectively) are in white on dark grey background). The list of distros, however, is still in default colors

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#89 2018-04-15 17:20:46

alef

One more remark:

While the current theme is very pleasing to the eye, the output of commands important for a developer, like `git diff` does not make it easy to spot the added lines. they are in  blue, they do not stand out from the text around.

Here's what just happened to me, while maintaining a script I'm using to configure linux on my machines:

* moved text from one place in a script file to another line.
* did some other stuff for a few minutes
* ran `git diff` before running a commit
* output gave me the false impression that I had deleted these lines, I couldn't find them in the diff.

Red lines for deleted content are easy to spot, no problem there.

I'll fix this on my setup, but you might want to apply some updates in the default theme as well. Happy to send a pull request in case you're interested.

Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#90 2018-04-15 18:27:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

alef wrote:

the installer complained about wifi firmware not supported, and prompted me to load some non-free ucode firmware files in a removable drive. I ignored it, but right in the following step I could select wifi network, and connect to it

How strange, does your wireless work in the installed system?

I will wager that you are using a Broadcom card, this will show if I'm right:

lspci -knn | grep -iA2 net
alef wrote:

in GRUB's main menu, there is a 'High Contrast Text option, below the list of distros. When I select this option, the screen's header and footer (grub version and instructions, respectively) are in white on dark grey background). The list of distros, however, is still in default colors

Yes, that is the expected behaviour — the grey background only comes into effect if the menuentry is edited by pressing "e".

alef wrote:

Happy to send a pull request in case you're interested.

Yes please, thanks for catching that.

Just out of interest, does the "Hydrogen" profile in terminator work with the `git diff` output?

I find the text more readable with that theme.

#91 2018-04-16 06:35:08

pamir

I have been running alpha 6 with no errors yet. Installed perfectly on ASUS laptop.

Not sure why but the last 2 versions of Bunsenlabs, `synclient` line present in ~/.config/openbox/autostart

does not always run. Tap to click and edge scrolling sometimes does not load, and has to be manually typed in, is there a workaround or can that be corrected?

#92 2018-04-16 18:30:50

hhh
TESTING!!!!!!!
Website

artux wrote:
vinzv wrote:

Thanks, with your explanation I understood the cause of the malfunction.

Raleigh is a legacy theme, it doesn't offer GTK3 support. Open /usr/share/themes/Raleigh and there's only a gtk-2.0 folder there. It's offered because it's offered in a default Debian install, which we try and stick to as much as possible. Sorry that it's a confusion.

Beam and the other default themes are based on Greybird (by shimmerproject), and they are GTK3 compatible (gtk-2.0 and gtk-3.0 themes are included).

#93 2018-04-16 19:35:07

alef

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

How strange, does your wireless work in the installed system?

Yes, it works fine. Some forum online gave the advice to just ignore the error message, as in some cases it's a false negative.

$ lspci -knn | grep -iA2 net
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (3) I218-V [8086:15a3] (rev 03)
	Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:2227]
	Kernel driver in use: e1000e
--
04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 [8086:095b] (rev 59)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 [8086:5210]
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Just out of interest, does the "Hydrogen" profile in terminator work with the `git diff` output?

I find the text more readable with that theme.

Yes, definitely.

#94 2018-04-17 17:58:16

altman

Doing great on my end on an old HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook.

Actually Helium on it & Hydrogen on an older Dell.

Edits:Mistakes

Last edited by altman (2018-04-18 10:56:24)

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook/Intel Core i7-2670QM/ BunsenLab Helium
Dell Inspiron 1720/Intel Core2 Duo T5450/ BunsenLab Hydrogen

#95 2018-04-22 00:48:00

Doodle

Everything's great so far, though I noticed something when downloading deb files. If I open them right from my browser's downloads, every time I enter my password it fails. If I use the terminal or open gdebi-gtk as root and input my password then it works fine. Not sure what would cause that.

#96 2018-04-22 10:42:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Doodle wrote:

If I open them right from my browser's downloads, every time I enter my password it fails.

^ That's a protective feature — gdebi thunar has special permissions to run as root but the browser does not.

EDIT: s/gdebi/thunar/

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-04-22 15:37:02)

#97 2018-04-22 15:26:38

DeepDayze

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Doodle wrote:

If I open them right from my browser's downloads, every time I enter my password it fails.

^ That's a protective feature — gdebi has special permissions to run as root but the browser does not.

That makes sense, as I used to be able to open debs from within the browser with gdebi and then get prompted for the admin password. Now it does not work that way any longer as I also now have to open the downloads folder and find the deb I downloaded then rightclick and select "Install with gdebi". Then it works as it asks for the password and only then goes ahead and installs the package. I can see this is a good (but irritating) change however as there are debs out there that harbor malicious code (especially if downloaded from sites outside of Debian's purview).

Real Men Use Linux

#98 2018-04-22 15:42:56

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Actually, I've just installed a .deb using firefox & gdebi and it worked fine so I'm wrong about that.

What are you folks actually doing?

I downloaded the .deb using firefox then opened a new tab and entered /home in the URL bar, navigated to Downloads, clicked on the .deb and chose "install with gdebi" and asked it to install the package, it threw up a password dialogue and then went ahead.

#99 2018-04-22 15:48:48

DeepDayze

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

^ Actually, I've just installed a .deb using firefox & gdebi and it worked fine so I'm wrong about that.

What are you folks actually doing?

I downloaded the .deb using firefox then opened a new tab and entered /home in the URL bar, navigated to Downloads, clicked on the .deb and chose "install with gdebi" and asked it to install the package, it threw up a password dialogue and then went ahead.

I was attempting to install a deb directly from a site  where I rightclicked the link to the deb then when I get the save menu I ensure I see open with gdebi. gdebi opens and when I clicked install i don't get prompted for the admin password and then gdebi closes. I did find the package was downloaded to temp folder and when I opened that in my file manager I rightclicked and selected install with gdebi. At that time it worked as expected by prompting for admin password and then proceeded to install the package.

Real Men Use Linux

#100 2018-04-22 16:48:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

I was attempting to install a deb directly from a site  where I rightclicked the link to the deb then when I get the save menu I ensure I see open with gdebi

I don't see that option with the right-click context menu in firefox-esr, which browser are you using?

What was the site?

Board footer