You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-12 20:13:44

Martin
Website

[Solved] How to solve virtual box modprobe vboxdrv error?

I haven't used Virtualbox for a few months and trying to use it yesterday I was met by an error message I have forgotten. This made me remember having seen in this forum a recommendation to move on to the version found in jessie-backports. So I did that following the instructions I found.

Still no luck. The installation went fine as far as I can see. I now have version 5.1.8_Debian r111374 installed and the GUI has changed look a little so something was definitely updated. But trying to start any of my virtual machines only results in the following error message:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv.
Please reinstall virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing

'modprobe vboxdrv'

as root.

Trying to follow this instruction only results in another error message:

modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found.

Searching this forum I found someone else having exactly this problem on Kali Linux but the advice given does not help me.

What now?

As always: TIA

/Martin

Last edited by Martin (2018-04-13 22:49:26)

"Problems worthy of attack
prove their worth by hitting back."
Piet Hein

#2 2018-04-12 20:25:47

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Re: [Solved] How to solve virtual box modprobe vboxdrv error?

What's the output when you reinstall virtualbox-dkms in the terminal?

#3 2018-04-12 20:26:47

vinzv
Website

Just to make sure: you reinstalled virtualbox-dkms? apt purge virtualbox-dkms and apt install virtualbox-dkms afterwards?

#4 2018-04-12 21:11:13

Martin
Website

I didn't do the purge thing. Now I have tried that (assuming you meant sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install virtualbox how else to get the version in jessie-backports?).

Still the same :-(

/Martin

Piet Hein

#5 2018-04-12 21:41:21

vinzv
Website

Yes, sorry I alway use the shorter apt commands.

I just saw you mentioned jessie. There's a step-by-step tutorial at the Debian wiki.

Another way around troubles with Virtualbox is using their Debian third-party repository:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads (scroll down to "Debian-based Linux distributions")

That aside a thing I saw being mentioned for the error number you reported were problems with enabled secure boot and unsigned DKMS modules. I haven't tried it myself but if you're keen that's a possible way. I have absolutely no experience with secure boot stuff so better consider this for documentation reasons - or have recent backups at hand, just in case.

Since kernel version 4.4.0-20, it was enforced that unsigned kernel modules will not be allowed to run with Secure Boot enabled. Because you want to keep Secure Boot, then the next logical step is to sign those modules.
So let's try it.
1. Create signing keys
openssl req -new -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -keyout MOK.priv -outform DER -out MOK.der -nodes -days 36500 -subj "/CN=Descriptive name/"

2. Sign the module (vboxdrv for this example)
sudo /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/scripts/sign-file sha256 ./MOK.priv ./MOK.der $(modinfo -n vboxdrv)

3. Register the keys to Secure Boot
sudo mokutil --import MOK.der

4. Supply a password for later use after reboot

5. Reboot and follow instructions to Enroll MOK (Machine Owner Key). Enroll MOK - Continue - yes - password, you may also need to sudo modprobe vboxdrv to load the module.

#6 2018-04-13 22:51:06

Martin
Website

vinzv wrote:

Another way around troubles with Virtualbox is using their Debian third-party repository:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads (scroll down to "Debian-based Linux distributions")

I went for this and now I am back in business.

Thanks,

/Martin

Piet Hein

Board footer