You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-10 21:19:39

vinzv
Website

Get some wider audience for beta testing?

I watch the current final phase for *buntu flavors and their teams keep pushing people to test beta isos and report bugs really hard.
Should we do something like that as well? Playing the social network piano a bit by teasing people with screenshots etc. to get feedback?

#2 2018-04-10 21:50:12

hhh
That's it!
Website

#3 2018-04-10 23:00:10

vinzv
Website

Re: Get some wider audience for beta testing?

hhh wrote:

https://twitter.com/BunsenLabsLinux (says it's official, it's not official)

So, who has control over it?

#4 2018-04-11 04:41:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^Some random person who decided to describe their Twitter account as "official". neutral
Anyone can do that I guess. We've tried sending messages with requests for the "official" title to be removed, but with no response.

We should start a Real BunsenLabs Twitter account some day I guess, with a link on our website to prove it. We don't seem to have many twitter users among the devs, so it hasn't been given a high priority.

I'm reluctant to get involved in the BL Facebook page personally, because it would establish an easily followed link from my web identity to my real life.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-04-11 04:42:56)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2018-04-11 09:23:46

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I suppose we could tell DistroWatch about the pre-release ISO image.

And maybe suggest that they update our package list while they're at it: according to them we don't have chromium, cups, gcc (!), gimp or inkscape... lol

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distr … bunsenlabs

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#6 2018-04-11 09:44:14

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^What does DW's "package list " mean? What's installed, or what's available?
BL doesn't come with chromium or inkscape installed by default.
Available... the whole Debian repo!

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2018-04-11 09:54:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

^What does DW's "package list " mean? What's installed, or what's available?

Not sure, actually.

Anyway, should we tell them about the upcoming release?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#8 2018-04-11 10:05:53

vinzv
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Anyway, should we tell them about the upcoming release?

As soon as the release is available. Maybe tell them about RC as well?

IIRC they rely on RSS feeds a lot. So it might be good to have announcements on bunsenlabs.org before pointing them there.

#9 2018-04-11 10:30:33

vinzv
Website

johnraff wrote:

^Some random person who decided to describe their Twitter account as "official". neutral
Anyone can do that I guess. We've tried sending messages with requests for the "official" title to be removed, but with no response.

*sighs*

johnraff wrote:

We should start a Real BunsenLabs Twitter account some day I guess, with a link on our website to prove it. We don't seem to have many twitter users among the devs, so it hasn't been given a high priority.

I put up another one and will take care for it and/or share the credentials with core team people if needed. Name can be changed if desired but "BunsenLabs" and "BunsenLabsLinux" were already taken.
https://twitter.com/ItsBunsenLabs

johnraff wrote:

I'm reluctant to get involved in the BL Facebook page personally, because it would establish an easily followed link from my web identity to my real life.

Just posting links to website announcements and relevant forum's posts would be enough I guess. That's things where your personal account won't get visibly involved. I can takeover that part as well, if no one objects.

#10 2018-04-11 14:44:01

alef

johnraff wrote:

Report the account on twitter, ticking the option "They’re pretending to be me or someone else".

Twitter should disable it until they actually rename and/or change their description text.

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#11 2018-04-11 18:43:47

vinzv
Website

^I did so but now Twitter wants some Documents that prove that I'm acting as official representative. *sighs*

#12 2018-04-11 18:46:23

alef

^ a hyperlink to this thread, perhaps, or document from the domain name registrar?

Twitter can be a pain for requests like this, that's a shame hmm ...

Thinkpad X1Carbon 3rd Gen | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X250 | BunsenLabs Deuterium
Thinkpad X1Carbon 1st Edition | CrunchBang Waldorf r20121015
Thinkpad X240 | Wally <-- don't buy that & Eee-PC 1000H  |  CrunchBang Statler r20110207 Openbox

#13 2018-04-11 18:56:15

vinzv
Website

I own the domain bunsenlabs.de so I sent them a whois copy as well as a copy of my passport.

Yes, it's annoying but obviously necessary for them to avoid hostile takeovers.

#14 2018-04-11 19:01:45

tknomanzr
BL Die Hard

^ If you need anything from a current dev just let one of us know.

#15 2018-04-12 20:44:09

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

johnraff wrote:

We should start a Real BunsenLabs Twitter account some day I guess

Nowdays the interested audience switches more and more to Mastodon as a Twitter replacement (there are channels like linuxrocks.online). And to GNUSocial and diaspora instead of FB.

And there is something awesome emerging: Hubzilla.

#16 2018-04-12 20:56:31

vinzv
Website

^GNU Social is more a Twitter replacement. It can talk vice-versa to Mastodon as well to Hubzilla, Friendica etc. via the open protocol "OStatus".

That said, I put up https://linuxrocks.online/@bunsenlabs yesterday. wink

#17 2018-04-14 05:21:59

hhh
That's it!
Website

Social media is cool and all, and a great way to spread interest in a topic/project/whatever. I think I can speak for The Team, though, when I say we've learned to let word of Internet alone allow BL to grow. It fits in with the sometimes slow pace of our development. We're a niche market in a niche field.

Maybe that needs re-examining, like we could add more team members and promote more. But there's nothing stopping anyone here from posting to social media, or submitting a commit, or starting a new branch repo for a new feature they'd like to add, right? It's all on Git-Hub, except for our live-build configs.

https://github.com/BunsenLabs

#18 2018-04-14 20:06:13

vinzv
Website

hhh wrote:

Maybe that needs re-examining, like we could add more team members and promote more.

BL's development is indeed very open and everyone can take part - if only you are aware of it's existence. smile It's a bit of chasing you own tail I think.

I guess the time frame around a release is a good time frame to pull in more contributors and let them sorta "grow up" into team members. Also adding non-dev people to the team would lower the workload for devs.

#19 2018-04-15 10:33:42

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

vinzv wrote:

^GNU Social is more a Twitter replacement. It can talk vice-versa to Mastodon as well to Hubzilla, Friendica etc. via the open protocol "OStatus".

That said, I put up https://linuxrocks.online/@bunsenlabs yesterday. wink

That's great. diaspora and gnusocial might be also an option to spread news amoung linux folks. Actually when you set up Hubzilla, it's possible to have the same post available on all these networks. At least that was my understanding, never tried it before.

#20 2018-04-15 10:35:36

vinzv
Website

^Yes, Hubzilla is a one-stop solution to aggregate and fill multiple networks. I never tried it but am aware of the predecessor "Redmatrix" and the similar Friendica.

Board footer