You are not logged in.

#51 2018-04-06 18:13:37

bigbenaugust
Member
From: unc.edu / the 919 / KIGX
Registered: 2017-05-20
Posts: 171

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

We have enabled the official Helium repositories smile

All Helium-dev users should edit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list and replace the content with these lines:

deb https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian helium main
#deb-src https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian helium main

(The second line is for our source packages, uncomment, update and `apt-get source $foo` to get the source code for package $foo.)

Once the file is saved, update the package database and upgrade the system:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

oh snap, I'd better switch!


--Ben
BL / MX / Raspbian... and a whole bunch of RHEL boxes. :)

Offline

#52 2018-04-06 22:17:52

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,165
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

johnraff wrote:
brontosaurusrex wrote:

...geany is still very white.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bront … unsen.conf < Suggestion for default
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bront … nBeam.conf < Suggestion for alternative

I'd nearly forgotten about those. I'll get bunsen-configs to put those themes in /usr/share/geany/colorschemes where they'll be available to all users without having to put any more files in skel. Then set the default in skel/.config/geany/geany.conf
And thanks!

+1. Thank you, rex!

Offline

#53 2018-04-06 22:24:58

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,165
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

fedora wrote:

Thanks for development of lightweight debian stretch bunsenlab helium. I wonder after 4 attempts in virtualbox and 1 real install how to get obmenu-generator working. I applied instruction from https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator, https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3387, install .deb package, add http://download.opensuse.org/repositori … ebian_8.0/, add sparky repo without success.
  In process finding that bunsenlab helium install from minimal debian accept adding http://download.opensuse.org/repositori … ebian_8.0/
iso sparky minimal implemented install with obmenu-generator integrated
crunchbang plus plus accept install from sparky repo

Please open a new thread in this Development and Suggestions forum for this issue. obmenu-generator is not "officially supported" by us, but I'm sure @martix and @ohnonot  will be glad to help you.

Offline

#54 2018-04-07 05:26:35

jesito
Member
From: Olivella/Catalonia/Spain
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 23
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

One of the Spanish colleagues that downloaded the beta claims that MOC and ranger are not seen in Synaptic, whilst they were in the previous version.

Forget about it, I've checked it by myself on both the Beta3 32/64 and everything is correct...

Last edited by jesito (2018-04-07 07:24:09)


3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

Offline

#55 2018-04-07 08:13:05

fedora
Member
Registered: 2018-04-06
Posts: 5

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

hhh wrote:
fedora wrote:

Thanks for development of lightweight debian stretch bunsenlab helium. I wonder after 4 attempts in virtualbox and 1 real install how to get obmenu-generator working. I applied instruction from https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator, https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3387, install .deb package, add http://download.opensuse.org/repositori … ebian_8.0/, add sparky repo without success.
  In process finding that bunsenlab helium install from minimal debian accept adding http://download.opensuse.org/repositori … ebian_8.0/
iso sparky minimal implemented install with obmenu-generator integrated
crunchbang plus plus accept install from sparky repo

Please open a new thread in this Development and Suggestions forum for this issue. obmenu-generator is not "officially supported" by us, but I'm sure @martix and @ohnonot  will be glad to help you.

Thanks for reply. I'll follow the instruction.:)

Offline

#56 2018-04-07 08:24:22

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,118
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

johnraff wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

@johnraff, did you manually rename the images?

Yes. smile

But I've now found an option --image-name that let's you set the, er, image name. big_smile
It's not documented anywhere I can see, but one of my collection of other peoples' live-build configs used it, and it's there in the live-build code sure enough. I've added a couple of hook scripts, so /etc/bunsen/bunsen_install's "Version:" gets set automatically from that, and also a little file bunsen_version goes in the disk's top level directory too, just for reference. The only place where the build version needs to be set should be in auto/config's --image-name.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#57 2018-04-07 16:15:52

Narmo
Bad Wolf
From: Poland
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 53

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Installed Helium-beta3-amd64.iso on PC with windows 7 and Mint, bunsen is in mint's place, everything went smooth, grub is ok, can run windows and bunsen. Very happy and testing 32 bit version on dell latitude in a minute or two smile

Last edited by Narmo (2018-04-07 16:16:16)

Online

#58 2018-04-07 23:59:53

lowrider
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 284

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

We have enabled the official Helium repositories smile

All Helium-dev users should edit

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list

and replace the content with these lines:

deb https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian helium main
#deb-src https://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian helium main

(The second line is for our source packages, uncomment, update and `apt-get source $foo` to get the source code for package $foo.)

Once the file is saved, update the package database and upgrade the system:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

Good News. FYI, I don't have a

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list

file on my helium-dev install but

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/helium-dev.list

instead wink
a sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/helium-dev.list following sudo touch /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen.list and pasting the new lines in fixed it.
Good Job @team

Offline

#59 2018-04-08 01:08:32

DeepDayze
Member
From: In Linux Land
Registered: 2017-05-28
Posts: 946

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Looks good, but seems the new  Obmenu is whining about incompatible menu layout.


Real Men Use Linux

Offline

#60 2018-04-08 16:13:03

fairoaks
New Member
Registered: 2015-11-21
Posts: 2

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Would love to test the iso but it`s a 12 hour download due to your slow servers.

Offline

#61 2018-04-08 17:45:21

vinzv
Member
Registered: 2017-09-12
Posts: 185
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Are you sure? Did you try the mirror?

https://mirror.vinzv.space/bunsenlabs/helium/beta/

Offline

#62 2018-04-08 17:54:50

zephyr
Member
From: Norman, Oklahoma-USA
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 412
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

fairoaks wrote:

Would love to test the iso but it`s a 12 hour download due to your slow servers.

Head=on-a-Stick wrote:

Helium-beta3-amd64.iso here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dvto2 … 43HL7jd6nL

2 minutes and 38 seconds just now, check your ISP and maybe do a reboot.

cheers

z

Offline

#63 2018-04-09 04:25:16

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,118
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

fairoaks wrote:

Would love to test the iso but it`s a 12 hour download due to your slow servers.

Actually, the isos are not yet hosted on BunsenLabs servers - that will come with the official release.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#64 2018-04-09 23:27:52

jesito
Member
From: Olivella/Catalonia/Spain
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 23
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Wifi woes (reported by a spanish user in the spanish Bunsenlabs G+ community):
In several laptops (Toshiba A300, Acer Aspire One and others) when trying to connect to the wifi, the SSID is found but never gets connected.
Any reported trouble like this one?.
Regards,
Jes.


3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

Offline

#65 2018-04-09 23:33:33

hhh
Meep!
Registered: 2015-09-17
Posts: 10,165
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

DeepDayze wrote:

Looks good, but seems the new  Obmenu is whining about incompatible menu layout.

Someone else needs to look at this if they can, I've never bothered with obmenu and don't really have the desire to learn. I'm fairly anti-menu, unless you mean something like dmenu. I have 2 items left in my helium right-click menu, Preferences and System (aka Things I don't need to mess with much). tongue

Offline

#66 2018-04-10 05:01:11

johnraff
nullglob
From: Nagoya, Japan
Registered: 2015-09-09
Posts: 7,118
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

DeepDayze wrote:

Looks good, but seems the new  Obmenu is whining about incompatible menu layout.

Do you mean the message it outputs when installed, or is there some issue when you try to run it? If the former, it's just a warning that the old deprecated command syntax will not be supported. http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#Execute That warning has in fact been present since the days of CrunchBang.


...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Online

#67 2018-04-10 08:23:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

jesito wrote:

Wifi woes (reported by a spanish user in the spanish Bunsenlabs G+ community):
In several laptops (Toshiba A300, Acer Aspire One and others) when trying to connect to the wifi, the SSID is found but never gets connected.
Any reported trouble like this one?

Could be the MAC issue that's been reported over at fdn:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 09#p670709


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#68 2018-04-10 09:43:09

vinzv
Member
Registered: 2017-09-12
Posts: 185
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

jesito wrote:

In several laptops (Toshiba A300, Acer Aspire One and others) when trying to connect to the wifi, the SSID is found but never gets connected.

It would be good to know what wifi chipsets are built into the troublesome notebooks. With lspci you can find out the exact details. Also see: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI

Offline

#69 2018-04-11 14:14:50

extraspecialbitter
Member
From: Centerville, MA, USA
Registered: 2015-10-12
Posts: 50
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Helium has been so solid for me that I nearly forgot that I was running with an Alpha spin! I should probably update my sources and apt-update && apt-upgrade. smile

Offline

#70 2018-04-11 20:19:19

jesito
Member
From: Olivella/Catalonia/Spain
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 23
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
jesito wrote:

Wifi woes (reported by a spanish user in the spanish Bunsenlabs G+ community):
In several laptops (Toshiba A300, Acer Aspire One and others) when trying to connect to the wifi, the SSID is found but never gets connected.
Any reported trouble like this one?

Could be the MAC issue that's been reported over at fdn:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 09#p670709

Thanks!, will check it.


3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

Offline

#71 2018-04-11 20:21:21

jesito
Member
From: Olivella/Catalonia/Spain
Registered: 2015-10-21
Posts: 23
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

vinzv wrote:
jesito wrote:

In several laptops (Toshiba A300, Acer Aspire One and others) when trying to connect to the wifi, the SSID is found but never gets connected.

It would be good to know what wifi chipsets are built into the troublesome notebooks. With lspci you can find out the exact details. Also see: https://wiki.debian.org/HowToIdentifyADevice/PCI

Sure, I already requested him to do a "sudo lspci -nn | grep -i network", awaiting feedback.
Some Realtek chips have given trouble in the past.


3D or not 3D, that is not anymore the question.

Offline

#72 2018-04-12 10:15:33

artux
Member
Registered: 2018-02-11
Posts: 9

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Greetings to the BunsenLabs community.

Only now I realize that the beta 1 has been released. I hope this post can still be useful, even if it refers to the alpha 6.

I installed BunsenLabs Alpha 6 (in multiboot with other distributions) about three-four weeks ago and I'm using it daily. In the last days of March I updated with the command "apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs".
I have not noticed any malfunctions, except for the integration with some programs: LibreOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird.
Firefox and Thunderbird have not been installed through repositories: I use the TAR.BZ2 downloaded from the Mozilla site, saved in a partition accessible to all distributions so I can work with any installed distribution and use Firefox and Thunderbird with the same profile.
With the other distributions (all derived Debian / Ubuntu) there is no problem, while with BunsenLabs some things do not work.

*Firefox: missing the right sidebar for scrolling the page. Scrolling works, but you do not see the sidebar segment you are dragging.
Moreover, it is almost impossible to select the text for copy-paste (with the mouse or with shift + arrow): the text is selected, but it is not highlighted, as if it had not been selected.

*Firefox and Thunderbird: missing outlines to the boxes to be completed or checked, even for online forms (such as the BunsenLabs site login form).

*LibreOffice: the outlines to the boxes to make the choice are missing. For example, it is impossible to open the drop-down menu of the fonts and its size.

If you need some additional information, ask me.

https://s7.postimg.cc/mn94qrzsb/libreoffice_calc.png
https://s7.postimg.cc/6c90uh2q3/thunder … window.png
https://s7.postimg.cc/qjmgms7x7/thunder … pening.png
https://s7.postimg.cc/mr7jkx7jv/online-form.png

Last edited by artux (2018-04-12 10:25:32)

Offline

#73 2018-04-12 13:50:39

sanrab
New Member
Registered: 2016-05-04
Posts: 1

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Installed beta3 today on :
MacMini 6,1, late 2012, Intel® Core™ i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 4, RAM 10 GB, HD 500 GB
EEEbox ASUS EB1007, 2011, Intel® Atom™ D410, RAM 2 GB, 160 GB HDD SATA II, Chipset Intel® NM10
MacBookAir 1,1, Core 2 Duo 1.6 13" Original, RAM 2 GB, late 2008

Everything is working well on all systems.

Great job.
Thank you

sanrab

Last edited by sanrab (2018-04-13 14:25:44)

Offline

#74 2018-04-12 14:58:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Member
From: London
Registered: 2015-09-29
Posts: 8,759
Website

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

artux wrote:

*Firefox: missing the right sidebar for scrolling the page. Scrolling works, but you do not see the sidebar segment you are dragging.
Moreover, it is almost impossible to select the text for copy-paste (with the mouse or with shift + arrow): the text is selected, but it is not highlighted, as if it had not been selected.

*Firefox and Thunderbird: missing outlines to the boxes to be completed or checked, even for online forms (such as the BunsenLabs site login form).

*LibreOffice: the outlines to the boxes to make the choice are missing. For example, it is impossible to open the drop-down menu of the fonts and its size.

I would ascribe these problems to the theme in use — the BL-He themes are designed to work with Gtk3 v3.22 and you have installed newer versions of programs that probably expect a newer version of Gtk3.

You could try installing a third-party theme that works with whichever Gtk version is used by your programs but there is little we can do to help you from this end, sorry.


“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

Offline

#75 2018-04-12 18:34:20

artux
Member
Registered: 2018-02-11
Posts: 9

Re: [OUTDATED]Please help us test the Helium beta ISO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I would ascribe these problems to the theme in use — the BL-He themes are designed to work with Gtk3 v3.22 and you have installed newer versions of programs that probably expect a newer version of Gtk3.

Thanks for your reply.

I use Firefox 59.0.2, Thunderbird 52.7.0 and LibreOffice 5.2.7.2.
The latter was installed from the repository (see the first screenshot), so it is the same version that anyone has to install if wants to use LibreOffice. Do I have to assume that all of you will have the same difficulties with LibreOffice?
Furthermore, this issue is also linked to the use of other programs that are usually installed. For example, the password request window to run Synaptic shows the same problem (see the second screenshot).

https://s7.postimg.cc/xazk3w4l7/synapti … office.png
https://s7.postimg.cc/72ofekhxn/password-request.png

Thanks for your help.  smile

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB