You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-25 15:25:26

eberwh

Darktable has failed to install

/The resulting message says there is an error due to broken packages, giving the resultant message as follows -  E: /var/cache/apt/archives/debian-edu-config_1.818+deb8u2_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/asound.conf', which is also in package bunsen-configs 8.8.11-1.1.  Does anyone know the probable cause for this problem please?

#2 2018-02-25 15:40:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Darktable has failed to install

That's strange, `apt-cache rdepend` doesn't show darktable in the list of reverse dependencies for debian-edu-config and I can't see why it would be installed hmm

Try this:

sudo apt-get install darktable debian-edu-config-

Just to be sure, we should probably also see the output of this command:

apt-cache policy

FWIW, our next release doesn't need a custom /etc/asound.conf so this is about to be fixed.

@johnraff, does this mean we need to divert the asound.conf file in Deuterium?

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2018-02-25 15:44:45

twoion
ほやほや

eberwh wrote:

/The resulting message says there is an error due to broken packages, giving the resultant message as follows -  E: /var/cache/apt/archives/debian-edu-config_1.818+deb8u2_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/etc/asound.conf', which is also in package bunsen-configs 8.8.11-1.1.  Does anyone know the probable cause for this problem please?

Interesting issue. The bug is both in debian-edu-config and bunsen-configs. The issue is that both packages provide /etc/asound.conf but without using the diversion mechanism (dpkg-divert) usually applied in this case.

Fixing the bunsen-configs package won't help since debian-edu-config's install will still fail because it doesn't support the divert mechanism.

Here's a hotfix you can try: Create the file /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/99_debian_edu_config_fix with the following content:

path-exclude=/etc/asound.conf

then attempt to install your packages again.

Im grünen Wald, dort wo die Drossel singt…

#4 2018-02-25 15:46:26

twoion
ほやほや

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

@johnraff, does this mean we need to divert the asound.conf file in Deuterium?

As pointed out in my above post, dpkg-divert should indeed be added to bunsen-configs. I'll work on a patch. The patch should be shipped to both Hydrogen and Helium.

Refiled under bug reports.

#5 2018-02-25 15:49:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

twoion wrote:

The patch should be shipped to both Hydrogen and Helium.

We don't need /etc/asound.conf in Helium, that was a hack for volumeicon and we've gone back to pnmixer.

#6 2018-02-25 15:49:40

twoion
ほやほや

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
twoion wrote:

We don't need /etc/asound.conf in Helium, that was a hack for volumeicon and we've gone back to pnmixer.

OK, well that's good.

#7 2018-02-25 16:25:53

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
twoion wrote:

Is there a particular reason for the change or put the question out of curiosity in different words: In what respect is pnmixer superior to Volumeicon?

#8 2018-02-25 16:50:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

martix wrote:

In what respect is pnmixer superior to Volumeicon?

It doesn't require a hack involving /etc/asound.conf and a custom startup script to work properly in our desktop smile

We could also consider pnmixer to be a part of our #! heritage (much like our awful terminal emulator), that is what was used in Waldorf.

#9 2018-02-26 02:56:49

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I'm not so sure that the asound.conf settings were purely for volumeicon. Arch:

Arch Wiki wrote:

If you have applications that do not support PulseAudio explicitly but rely on ALSA, these applications will try to access the sound card directly via ALSA and will therefore bypass PulseAudio. PulseAudio will thus not have access to the sound card any more. As a result, all applications relying on PulseAudio will not be working any more, leading to this issue. To prevent this, you will need to install the pulseaudio-alsa package. It contains the necessary /etc/asound.conf for configuring ALSA to use PulseAudio.

In Helium, we are still shipping an asound.conf, but in a separate bunsen-configs-pulse. (This is so that users who uninstall PA will not have asound.conf.)

Anyway, as twoion points out, we should apply a dpkg-divert to that file to avoid this sort of clash. (debian-edu-config is the only other Debian package that provides it atm.)

Since Arch still seem to be advocating it to support some  applications, I think we should continue to ship asound.conf, though Arch have updated theirs from what we're using (it's similar to their initial commit). Their last update to that file was in 2012, and refers to alsa 1.0.25. Stretch's alsa-utils is 1.1.3 so I think even on Debian ( smile ) we should be able to use the same file Arch now ship:

# Use PulseAudio by default
pcm.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
  hint {
    show on
    description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"
  }
}

ctl.!default {
  type pulse
  fallback "sysdefault"
}

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#10 2018-02-26 06:40:04

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Any clues on why dark table is interested in sound config? I mean it's a raw photo development thingy.

#11 2018-02-26 08:02:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Arch still seem to be advocating it to support some  applications, I think we should continue to ship asound.conf

I have PA installed in my Arch box and it doesn't need an asound.conf, nor do any of the other Debian desktops.

I am not convinced that we need that file for Helium and I don't think we should use it unless there is a demonstrable need.

brontosaurusrex wrote:

why dark table is interested in sound config?

It's not darktable that's causing the conflict, it's the debian-edu-config package that provides the troublesome asound.conf (OT: I wonder why they need it).

#12 2018-02-26 08:19:52

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
johnraff wrote:

Arch still seem to be advocating it to support some  applications, I think we should continue to ship asound.conf

I have PA installed in my Arch box and it doesn't need an asound.conf, nor do any of the other Debian desktops.

I am not convinced that we need that file for Helium and I don't think we should use it unless there is a demonstrable need.

The reason is there in the Arch Wiki quote. Just because you don't happen to have any "applications that do not support PulseAudio explicitly but rely on ALSA" on your systems doesn't mean no-one will. Without that asound.conf they will have serious, and possibly hard to diagnose, problems with PA. We really don't want to unnecessarily add any more members to the "I hate Pulse" party. neutral

Surely making ALSA use PA does no more harm than things like files to make Qt apps follow GTK themes?

John
--------------------

#13 2018-02-26 22:07:33

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

We really don't want to unnecessarily add any more members to the "I hate Pulse" party.

If an asound.conf file is included then switching away from PA would require that users remove the file, this is not the case without it.

I still think we should do without it until somebody reports a problem.

#14 2018-02-27 05:42:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

TL:DR @HoaS you're correct, we don't need to ship that /etc/asound.conf file. smile

The reason, though, is that PA in Debian is already doing the exact same thing via the alsa config files it ships, and its dependency on libasound2-plugins.

Debian Wiki wrote:

The "just works" magic is achieved through configuration files placed in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/.

https://wiki.debian.org/PulseAudio#Advanced

/usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/pulse.conf:

# PulseAudio alsa plugin configuration file to set the pulseaudio plugin as
# default output for applications using alsa when pulseaudio is running.
hook_func.pulse_load_if_running {
	lib "libasound_module_conf_pulse.so"
	func "conf_pulse_hook_load_if_running"
}

@hooks [
	{
		func pulse_load_if_running
		files [
			"/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf"
		]
		errors false
	}
]

/usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf:

# This file is referred to by /usr/share/alsa/pulse.conf<jr: wrong it's /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d/pulse.conf> to set pulseaudio as
# the default output plugin for applications using alsa when PulseAudio is
# running.

pcm.!default {
    type pulse
    hint {
        show on
        description "Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server"
    }
}

ctl.!default {
    type pulse
}
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If an asound.conf file is included then switching away from PA would require that users remove the file.

This would not be true, though, because asound.conf is shipped in bunsen-configs-pulse (as I said already) which is separated off from bunsen-configs, contains only that file + something to switch off flat-volumes, and depends on PulseAudio so users who remove PA would lose that file automatically.

Anyway, if we ever want to add some alsa config tweaks in the future we can do it with a file in /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf.d and not have to worry about file clashes in /etc, so no need for dpkg-divert.

I'll remove /etc/asound.conf from bunsen-configs-pulse. m(._.)m

EDIT: done in bunsen-configs-pulse 9.1-1.

Last edited by johnraff (2018-02-27 05:54:12)

John
--------------------

#15 2018-02-27 07:53:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If an asound.conf file is included then switching away from PA would require that users remove the file.

This would not be true, though, because asound.conf is shipped in bunsen-configs-pulse (as I said already) which is separated off from bunsen-configs, contains only that file + something to switch off flat-volumes, and depends on PulseAudio so users who remove PA would lose that file automatically.

Neat cool

Board footer