You are not logged in.

#1 2018-02-12 10:13:15

x4OUBg

which bunsenlabs repository for latest jre?

i need to install latest version of jre. currently installed is javac 1.7.0_151 but need 1.8.x.

apt-get returns my version is the latest. what is the correct repository i need to add so i can get the latest jre?

#2 2018-02-12 17:37:29

Indian

Re: which bunsenlabs repository for latest jre?

You can download jre from oracle, the last is 9.0.4 then you untar the file and create symlynks to the files in the bin directory of the java directory to the bin directory in your home directory.

#3 2018-02-12 20:49:33

cloverskull

You should be able to

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

and have a 1.8.x java.

#4 2018-02-12 22:13:09

x4OUBg

Indian wrote:

You can download jre from oracle, the last is 9.0.4 then you untar the file and create symlynks to the files in the bin directory of the java directory to the bin directory in your home directory.

thanks for the tip.

a bit surprised a simple 'apt-get install <app>' couldn't update the openjdk version.

#5 2018-02-12 22:23:05

x4OUBg

cloverskull wrote:

You should be able to

sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

and have a 1.8.x java.

i thought so too prior to putting question here. below is the returned output from apt-get:

$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

[sudo] password for ?: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package openjdk-8-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'openjdk-8-jre' has no installation candidate

do i need to teak the /etc/apt/sources.list or add/edit a list in /etc/apt/sources.list.d ?

#6 2018-02-12 23:26:02

Anaconda
crypto-anarchist

Running stretch here so was not a problem for me. If your sources are from jessie you will have to add backports to get openjdk-8-jre.

“The university is well structured, well tooled, to turn out people with all the sharp edges worn off...." Mario Savio
"Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse". Help enforce our right to free and anonymous speech by running a Tor relay.

#7 2018-02-13 06:41:37

ohnonot
...again
Website

^ and how to install packages from backports is described in 'bl-welcome'.
or here: https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Insta … mmand_line

#8 2018-02-13 07:43:29

x4OUBg

Anaconda wrote:

Running stretch here so was not a problem for me. If your sources are from jessie you will have to add backports to get openjdk-8-jre.

looks like that is the issue. thanks for pointing that out. i'll give that a go.

#9 2018-02-13 08:00:40

x4OUBg

ohnonot wrote:

^ and how to install packages from backports is described in 'bl-welcome'.
or here: https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Insta … mmand_line

i'll check up on that. appreciate the help and links.

thanks all.

#10 2018-02-14 01:15:36

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Looks like the jessie-backports version is getting stale concerning security holes.  Let see me see about cooking up a backport of the current Stretch update on the openSUSE build service.  It's a pretty hefty build.

#11 2018-02-14 02:07:09

x4OUBg

after trying the backport suggestions, etc., and still getting apt errors trying to update my openjdk-7-jre to v8 or v9, i decided on a fresh install with "Deuterium i386". this particular notebook is an old ibm thinkpad x86 pentium and Bunsen runs well on it for what i use it for. easier just tar'ing up my /home/<usr> dir and on with a fresh install. and as @stevep mentioned, updated version(s) patches up some old sec issues and what not.

thanks all for helping with your suggestions, much appreciated!!

#12 2018-02-14 03:03:27

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Here's the progress of the backport from Stretch.  Still compiling, then the test suite takes several times as long to run: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show … njdk-8-jre

You should have been able to install the jessie-backports version, though, especially since there's no other openjdk-8 packages in Jessie to compete with it.

#13 2018-02-14 07:49:11

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

x4OUBg wrote:

after trying the backport suggestions, etc., and still getting apt errors trying to update my openjdk-7-jre to v8 or v9

If you post exactly what you tried (along with the full error messages), we could probably tell you where you went wrong — as stevep notes the backported packages should have been installable.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#14 2018-02-14 19:41:14

stevep
MX Linux Developer

Well, the OBS builds failed.  I'm requesting build workers with more RAM to see if that works.  We do have a backport of the Stretch security update in the MX main repo for Jessie, so I know it's possible to build on a local machine.  I built the MX backports on generic Jessie pbuilder platforms, so they won't have compatibility issues.

#15 2018-02-14 22:29:16

x4OUBg

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
x4OUBg wrote:

after trying the backport suggestions, etc., and still getting apt errors trying to update my openjdk-7-jre to v8 or v9

If you post exactly what you tried (along with the full error messages), we could probably tell you where you went wrong — as stevep notes the backported packages should have been installable.

i'm on bunsen-hydrogen...

retrying, i went to https://www.bunsenlabs.org/repositories.html ensured i had the listed repo's in the apt files & re-imported signing key.

also went to, https://wiki.debian.org/Backports#Insta … mmand_line and added the listed backports repository.

sudo apg-get update

sudo apt-get -t jessie-backports install openjdk-8-jre

{pkg upgraded}

adding the two lines from the debian.org/Backports[...] page did the trick. i must have missed that the first time. <usr err>

thanks for getting me to retry again.

#16 2018-02-14 22:51:31

stevep
MX Linux Developer

The OBS builds worked when I removed an optional build-depend for openjdk-8 packages and just left the ones for openjdk-7.  So if you want the latest security update, the OBS repo is the only solution for Jessie right now. 

Now let me just add openjdk-9 to it. wink

Remember that default-jre is still 7 in Jessie.  You can use the alternatives system to set yours to 8 if you keep having 7 show up.

Last edited by stevep (2018-02-14 22:53:38)

#17 2018-02-16 03:34:28

x4OUBg

stevep wrote:

The OBS builds worked when I removed an optional build-depend for openjdk-8 packages and just left the ones for openjdk-7.  So if you want the latest security update, the OBS repo is the only solution for Jessie right now. 

Now let me just add openjdk-9 to it. wink

Remember that default-jre is still 7 in Jessie.  You can use the alternatives system to set yours to 8 if you keep having 7 show up.

i got the openjdk-8-jre to install {thx to all here}. so for now, i'm good with that version. i was running up against v7 always being checked vs installing v8. now that i did get v8 to install ok, i'm good for the time being. appreciate the help

Board footer