You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-29 02:42:22

Bearded_Blunder

helium-dev Contrast between text and bg inadequate in boot screen

I think something needs to be done with regard to the image and text on the grub screen, it's most particularly an issue if you try using the (unfamilliar) rescue options, after typing help to see the list of commands, you're left with pale text over a pale background in the bottom left, making it impossible to read either what you type, or the output.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...

#2 2017-09-29 03:13:49

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Re: helium-dev Contrast between text and bg inadequate in boot screen

checking...

#3 2017-09-29 03:20:00

hhh
That's easy!
Website

Agreed, Advanced Options results in washed-out text in the lower-left screen corner. We should use black text, I'll share this with the team.

Thanks,BB.

#4 2017-09-29 03:24:06

hhh
That's easy!
Website

BTW, you're using Beam as the grub background?

#5 2017-09-29 03:26:39

Bearded_Blunder

I'm using whatever a brand new install yesterday put there, I haven't even changed the desktop wallpaper.

#6 2017-09-29 08:02:36

johnraff
nullglob
Website

On my VM, grub screen:
3vgN8DFm.png
Advanced options (pretty much the same):
xD3w8rWm.png
and after pressing c then "help":
5FBcUbOm.png
We had previously settled on the cyan text for that Beam background, but to me, the problem is with the third screen. I guess, @B_B that's the one you meant? The text at the bottom left is illegible. (To be honest, I never got anywhere with Grub help anyway, because I couldn't get it to scroll up to the top part: Shift+PgUp are ignored here at that boot stage.)

Now, the current text colours (only applied in the case of the default BL Beam background) are defined thus:

color_normal=light-cyan/black
color_highlight=white/black
menu_color_normal=light-cyan/black
menu_color_highlight=white/black

The default Debian white is even less usable.
Is there any way to get a different colour in the grub cli mode from the initial boot menu?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2017-09-29 09:52:25

Bearded_Blunder

The third screen is the critical one yes, I ended up there trying to troubleshoot as a result of a crazy disk layout.
Though the text below the boxes in the first two is also very hard to read, at least on my hardware, I don't know if the fact I'm using an old fairly low res LCD panel is relevant there.

I certainly haven't investigated if changing the text colour for the third screen only is possible.. you need a Linux Guru for that..

The really *simple* hack, is to flip the image on the vertical axis, which would put the problematic part for contrast where there's rarely any text.  But then it doesn't match the desktop wallpaper, unless that gets flipped too.. which would probably mean shifting the logo there to the lower left rather than lower right, which may raise objections.. though it would cure the silly positioning on a low res 4x3 panel where parts of it go off screen with the default background.

#8 2018-01-23 08:53:41

johnraff
nullglob
Website

At the grub cli which you get by pressing "c", it's possible to change the text colours foreground/background:
set color_normal=color1/color2
If color2 is black it's transparent so you get the image, but any other colour will give a solid background.
Colour options here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 … ont_Colors

Such changes will not affect the next boot, so might be a workaround when trying to fix something with grub, while keeping the pretty menu...

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

Board footer