You are not logged in.

#26 2017-12-23 12:18:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Mounting/Sharing files with Andriod device

BLizgreat! wrote:

worked ootb but noticed a couple packages missing while poking around in live session which may be relevant (or not), one being the gvfs-backends another libmtp-runtime

Thanks for reporting this but I have just checked our "live" session and that does have gvfs-backends installed (but not libmtp-runtime).

To be honest, I have no idea how the stock BL H/H² system deals with Android devices so I will probably have to investigate some more...

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#27 2017-12-23 13:36:04

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

Yeppers, wasn't talking about BL-Hydrogen but it ( a hybrid BL-H + Stretch OS) automagically dealt with the Android phone as mentioned, the OS (Stretch netinstall) I hadn't bothered checking if any Android devices were recognized/mounted and avail via mtp, they are now and on it I didn't have those gvfs packages mentioned. As shown for apt-cache policy output while in BL-H live session, no libmtp-runtime present on it. May help Sector if he wants to pursue simple mtp for file transfers.

Pretty much the way I've been doing it but again, being gnu/Nix and Android, probably a metric ton of ways to do it. Wouldn't even want to try to list em out. Airdroid (got some favorable mentions in other threads), a server app or whatever on the phone, bluetooth, gawds only know how many others. Mainly though wanted to try and help getting mtp working for Sector11. Seems like the runtime thing may help, don't know for sure and yeppers if this is an issue(lacking this mtp-probe thing). Perhaps evaluate including in the next BL release ? Dunno and for time being lost interest in learning about Android. Did learn enough about the topic to be blown away by all that seems possible with the platform.

#28 2017-12-23 13:52:48

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

BLizgreat! wrote:

Perhaps evaluate including in the next BL release ?

^ I am looking at this right now glasses

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-12-23 13:53:03)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#29 2017-12-23 14:52:16

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^ Good deal and make that a correction too, the Kitkat phone did work in live session in Bl-Hydrogen. Sheesh lemme reboot and see about the hybrid-Hydrogen install. Otherwise will have to install some of these packages on it too, to go ahead and get Android/mtp working. Too lil sleep, too much caffeine, the usual.

Edit: Ok confirmed Android Kitkat (v 4.4.4)phone working in both BL-hybrid and Bl-Hydrogen live session, without either of them even having libmtp-runtime installed. Would go ahead and install it just to see, can always remove it later etc. Mentioned a couple of others. I'm confuzzled at this point fellows, arghhhh. Another random thing that occurs, though it was set default in Bl-H live session, in thunar's Edit> preferences > advanced > Volume management > Configure ... a bunch of check-boxes for mount hotplug media when inserted etc.

According to ... history |grep 'apt-get install' these are the packages I installed to get it working in a Stretch netinstall OS.

1898  sudo apt-get install mtp-tools
1916  sudo apt-get install go-mtpfs jmtpfs
1921  sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
1924  sudo apt-get install android-libandroidfw
1927  sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
1929  sudo apt-get install fusefat

And no friggin libmtp-runtime anywhere to be seen. So assume it got pulled as a depend of one of those, though did confirm it's available in stock Jessie and Jessie-backports repos. Also disabled usb debugging and revoked permissions on previous pc's etc. Still mounted fine in Stretch/thunar. Could be diff in Android v 5, I don't see how or why it would be. Ok ... I give up at this point. Hopefully anything in these babblings helps get Sector squared away with Android v 5 and mtp.

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2017-12-23 15:36:26)

#30 2018-01-08 12:04:17

devnull

My mobile (samsung galaxy W + Cyanogenmod based on android 4.4) connects effortless with my pc, in MTP and as USB drive.

Some other options on top of my head:

For automatic syncing of some important stuff I use syncthing, available on F-Droid for android and for debian with their own repo. Works good so far.

For manual sharing of a number of files, if the cable is more than a couple of meters away from the couch where I am, I fire up a server on the mobile and browse stuff with my pc. There is also an app on F-Droid, share via http, to share single files easily.

Other option is using an usb drive. The most recent kernels (from android 4+) should have the USB OTG option enabled. Your hardware may lack the OTG support, but with a y cable (or couple of cables and some soldiering) it will work. Works for me.

If I had android 5+ I'd also use Termux, in case an easy scp will solve it all.

#31 2018-01-08 14:34:11

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Just for the record regarding iPhones:

Connect via usb, get the device number via

lsusb -v 2> /dev/null | grep -e "Apple Inc" -A 2

and use  afc://devicenumber  in Thunar (does not work e.g. on SpaceFM).

#32 2018-01-18 08:24:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
BLizgreat! wrote:

Perhaps evaluate including in the next BL release ?

^ I am looking at this right now glasses

Thanks for the suggestions!

If mtp capability would allow BL users to plug in recent android phones ("USB mass storage" access was lost from Android 5 I think) via a USB cable and transfer files OOTB, it sounds well worth including (as long as it didn't involve many megabytes of install or memory-eating daemons). cool

Last edited by johnraff (2018-01-19 08:35:32)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#33 2018-01-18 15:52:13

devnull

mtb already works ootb for BL, at least for me, am I missing something?

Board footer