You are not logged in.

#26 2018-01-08 14:23:18

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Re: Dualboot problems (Dude, where is my windows!?)

@Doom66 For this kind of issues I guess an IRC channel might be more helpful, because you get direct contact to someone hopefully pointing in the right direction.

And I'd say grab an external HDD first and use Clonezilla (or whatever you like to make a backup) or dd all the partitions one by one, so the situation will not get worse. Once you have a backup, you could also try something like Rescatux. I had these kind of problems before and in the end somehow always managed to boot the OS again.

#27 2018-01-18 11:24:44

ZeroFK

As others have said, it looks like your Windows boot record is gone or corrupt.  While I'm in no way an expert, in the past I found this to work:

1. You will need a Windows install DVD.  A trial download would probably work.
2. Start the Windows install DVD in "Repair" mode.
3. On the repair prompt, enter: bootrec /fixmbr
This fixes the master boot record.
4. On the repair prompt, enter: bootrec /fixboot
This fixes the Windows boot record.
5. Reboot.  If all went well, Windows will boot without a trace of Linux.
6. Reinstall Linux.  With the fixed mbr and Windows boot records, grub should now discover Windows correctly.

Like I said this has worked for me in the past, but I've seen posts of others where it messed things up.  But honestly it sounds like at this point the system can't get into a worse state than it already is.

Good luck!

Last edited by ZeroFK (2018-01-18 11:25:40)

#28 2018-01-19 22:20:26

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

^Those commands (fixmbr and fixboot) drove me almost crazy once, because they just did not work. And indeed, there is one thing Microsoft was too stupid to think of: The boot flag. If it is not set correctly, there is an external tool needed to set the correct boot flag or rather set the boot flag at the correct partition.

#29 Yesterday 10:08:22

Doom666

Soooo I managed with a pirate Win7 CD, it began working horribly slow, but after some repair/manitence/update  processes everything is working like a charm!!! thank you all! Ill be soon asking how to get those infinitely cool radial graphic Conkys soon enough haha

But why would you do that!?
Because Black Metal, Thats why!

Board footer