You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-19 23:18:32

ututo

Change BunsenLabs Conky/Tint2 Manager's behavior

First of all, I want to say that one of the things that I like the most of BL are the 'Conky chooser' and 'Tint2 chooser' options from the root-menu. You guys have done a wonderful job. I don't recall Crucnhbang having these features.

So let me put this into perspective.

When you have a bunch of wallpapers and you open Nitrogen, you can scroll among the images and apply any of them as wallpaper without closing the window.

I beg your pardon. I'm not a programmer. Is it difficult to implement this kind of behavior in BL Conky/Tint2 Managers? I find it tedious to open and close the application every time I want to change a conky/tint2 set up. I think it would be nice to have an "Apply" button instead of an "Ok" button, just like Nitrogen does.

Of course, this is just a suggestion. Maybe this is hard to achieve or not even necessary. This is perhaps a matter of preference or a question of breaking old habits. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who misses this feature.

cheers

BunsenLabs on deviantArt
Don't touch my git!

#2 2017-09-20 10:42:39

Steve

Re: Change BunsenLabs Conky/Tint2 Manager's behavior

Do you mean to be able to apply and if you dont like the look of it you can cancel, so in effect an apply script and a cancel script of some sort? Sound like a nifty idea.

Last edited by Steve (2017-09-20 10:43:07)

#3 2017-09-20 12:07:18

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

That's a good point! This is one thing that e.g. I like also about bl-obmenu-generator: If you tweak schema.pl (this is the file to change the menu), you just save it and the change is implemented -> no need for a restart or something like that. If the code is messed up, the menu won't start. It's a great suggestion ututo, I can't comment on the coding side though. It'd be something like an automatic restart after every change.

Edit: As you mentioned the "Apply"-button in Nitrogen - Having the tint2 config file open in a text editor (or in terminal) and having in an other open terminal the following command:

killall -SIGUSR1 tint2

Wouldn't be this terminal something like an "apply" button (by hitting Enter), if there was a change in the tint2 config script? I mean if the change is saved in the editor, simply running that command would apply the changes.

Last edited by martix (2017-09-20 12:22:27)

#4 2017-09-20 13:07:39

Steve

^^ yes, select to apply via a tint2 restart sounds like an answer, but how to implement it into the tint2 chooser i have no idea.

Last edited by Steve (2017-09-20 13:08:12)

#5 2017-09-20 13:53:37

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

ututo wrote:

First of all, I want to say that one of the things that I like the most of BL are the 'Conky chooser' and 'Tint2 chooser' options from the root-menu. You guys have done a wonderful job. I don't recall Crucnhbang having these features.

And "idea" I found (from Void Linux I believe - very basic) but it was damo's genius that built it to what it is today.  And you're right it wasn't in #!  smile

ututo wrote:

When you have a bunch of wallpapers and you open Nitrogen, you can scroll among the images and apply any of them as wallpaper without closing the window.

I beg your pardon. I'm not a programmer. Is it difficult to implement this kind of behavior in BL Conky/Tint2 Managers?
cheers

Actually a good suggestion BUT nitrogen is a program that has an [Apply] button Yad is the program that damo uses to help with the scripts.  If it has an "Apply" function that doesn't close it just might be doable.

Like you I'm not script-friendly  big_smile

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#6 2017-09-20 15:32:36

PackRat
jgmenu user Numero Uno

If it has an "Apply" function that doesn't close it just might be doable.

For yad, you create the "Apply" button and assign the command to execute when pressed. I'm pretty sure yad accepts SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2 as options, so something similar to what matrix suggested should be doable.

You must unlearn what you have learned.
    -- yoda

#7 2017-09-20 18:02:23

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

martix wrote:

having in an other open terminal the following command:

killall -SIGUSR1 tint2

Wouldn't be this terminal something like an "apply" button (by hitting Enter), if there was a change in the tint2 config script? I mean if the change is saved in the editor, simply running that command would apply the changes.

Yes, both tint2 and conky will reload their configuration files on receipt of a SIGUSR1.

You can save yourself some characters & chording though:

pkill -usr1 tint2

Works just as well smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#8 2017-09-20 18:48:04

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Hmmm, opening Menu/Preferences/Tint2/Edit Tint2s/Tint2 Config GUI and then right click on the specific Tint2 theme -> click "Edit Theme" -> which opens a "Properties" window and there is actually an "Apply" button.

I never used this GUI - was not even aware that it is there - but it looks truly awesome at first glance. Especially for choosing colors and playing around with all kinds of tint2-bells and whistles.

#9 2017-09-21 21:50:27

jmc
tint3 maintainer
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

You can save yourself some characters & chording though:

pkill -usr1 tint2

Works just as well smile

Watch out though, what you pass to pkill is by default a pattern that would match on substrings, which means that if you have open, say, tint2conf, it'll send SIGUSR1 to it as well and cause it to terminate (as it doesn't handle that signal).

Try it:

$ (tint2conf & tint2 &)
$ pkill -0 --echo tint2
tint2conf killed (pid 15747)
tint2 killed (pid 15748)

It's safer if you pass the -x flag too, for an exact match:

$ pkill -USR1 -x tint2

Last edited by jmc (2017-09-21 21:50:57)

#10 2017-09-22 06:01:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ oooh, good tip — thanks!

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#11 2017-09-22 14:10:31

Sector11
Conky 1.9er Mod Squid

I use the same idea for conkys:

pkill -xf "conky -c /media/5/Conky/test.conky" &

It kills just that one conky IF you use what is between the quotes to start the conky.

The sun will never set if you keep walking towards it. - my son
Being positive doesn't understand physics.

#12 2017-09-23 18:55:30

ututo

Well, the idea was to open BL Conky Manager, select a conky config, apply it, then select another config and apply it. All of this without closing BLCM after hitting 'Ok' button. And the same with BL tint2 chooser. It is truth, tint2conf has the 'Apply' button but I don't like this gui. I prefer geany to edit the rc files. On the other hand, every time you press it I believe it generates a tint2rc.backup file.

I'll start playing with yad to see what I can do...

BunsenLabs on deviantArt
Don't touch my git!

Board footer