You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-18 09:24:13

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

helium-dev Opera not installable from pipemenu

When I try I get this:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 opera : Depends: libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 (>= 0.10.16) but it is not installable
         Depends: libgstreamer0.10-0 (>= 0.10.15) but it is not installable
         Depends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-good but it is not installable
         Recommends: flashplugin-nonfree but it is not installable
         Recommends: cups-client but it is not going to be installed

There were problems installing  opera

Press "d" for details (q to quit) d

ERROR MESSAGE:
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
------------------------------------

Would you like to quit now, or continue anyway?
  (Be careful!)
  Enter "q" to quit, "c" to continue:

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2017-08-18 14:48:27

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: helium-dev Opera not installable from pipemenu

OT:

Remains to check whether Opera is actually still runnable in Stretch userland and if it wouldn't be better to drop it anyway. IIRC this is classic Opera and not the 'new' Blink-based Opera, and the former is definitely a security hazard by now.

#3 2017-08-18 16:10:35

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The gstreamer0.1 series of packages have been dropped from Debian because they are insanely vulnerable to a wide range of exploits and should not be used by anybody, ever.

Here is a scary example of what those libraries can be made to do:

https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.co. … sktop.html

Debian has 1.0 in the repositories though.

Also, Opera is closed-source so the makers could be writing anything into that blob, I wouldn't advise using it at all.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#4 2017-08-19 03:17:31

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Let's drop Opera from the browser pipemenu options.
Or is there a repository for the new version?
Currently using:

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free

Last edited by johnraff (2017-08-19 03:19:06)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2017-08-19 03:55:47

DeepDayze

johnraff wrote:

Let's drop Opera from the browser pipemenu options.
Or is there a repository for the new version?
Currently using:

deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free

Or why not ask to install this new version  of Opera from bl-welcome (including grabbing deps)?

Real Men Use Linux

#6 2017-08-19 04:35:18

johnraff
nullglob
Website

DeepDayze wrote:

Or why not ask to install this new version  of Opera from bl-welcome (including grabbing deps)?

We've been trying to take as much as possible out of bl-welcome, to be honest. Whatever method of installing Opera was chosen, the pipemenu would be able to do it just as well, I think.

If we wanted to offer Opera at all, that is. The new version doesn't seem to have much that Chrom(ium) doesn't.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#7 2017-08-19 06:54:23

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

What it has to offer is a smaller footprint - plus it's my default browser in *windows* which also means it offers familiarity tongue It also offers a turbo mode specifically for users on slow connections, which isn't in Tinplate-mium.

earlybird wrote:

IIRC this is classic Opera and not the 'new' Blink-based Opera

Wish your recollection were the case I have a box that won't run blink or webkit based browsers for want of sse2 in the first case and having some other choice than Firefox which is dog-slow would be nice.

Anyhow, the point is, the pipemenu ought to work, if it's there at all, and it's most *useful* for new users in the case of browsers that aren't a simple apt-get away like Midori, as used to be the case with Firefox, and as is the case with Opera or Seamonkey.

If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#8 2017-08-19 10:12:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I have a box that won't run blink or webkit based browsers for want of sse2 in the first case and having some other choice than Firefox which is dog-slow would be nice.

Although the Debian repositories do have other browsers available for non-critical use, firefox-esr and chromium are the only ones that are "safe" to use against untrusted websites:

Debian stretch release notes wrote:
5.1.1. Security status of web browsers

Debian 9 includes several browser engines which are affected by a steady stream of security vulnerabilities. The high rate of vulnerabilities and partial lack of upstream support in the form of long term branches make it very difficult to support these browsers with backported security fixes. Additionally, library interdependencies make it impossible to update to newer upstream releases. Therefore, browsers built upon the webkit, qtwebkit and khtml engines are included in stretch, but not covered by security support. These browsers should not be used against untrusted websites.

For general web browser use we recommend Firefox or Chromium.

Chromium - while built upon the Webkit codebase - is a leaf package, which will be kept up-to-date by rebuilding the current Chromium releases for stable. Firefox and Thunderbird will also be kept up-to-date by rebuilding the current ESR releases for stable.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch … r-security

I do not think that BunsenLabs should offer Opera at all, their status has changed significantly since #! Waldorf and they are no longer part of the open-source (or FLOSS) community.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#9 2017-08-19 13:27:55

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

HoaS wrote:
Bearded_Blunder wrote:

I have a box that won't run blink or webkit based browsers for want of sse2 in the first case and having some other choice than Firefox which is dog-slow would be nice.

Although the Debian repositories do have other browsers available for non-critical use, firefox-esr and chromium are the only ones that are "safe" to use against untrusted websites:

That entire box is "Non-critical use", and frankly if it wasn't for the smashed up fonts "Netsurf" would be "good enough" on it probably, but that particular bug is marked fixed in the upstream bug tracker for v3.7 (still unreleased) so even Sid is only on 3.6.x.

I have other low power machines which need browsers too and firefox-esr is dog slow, Chrom<e/ium> I outright detest and eats way too much RAM.

HoaS wrote:

I do not think that BunsenLabs should offer Opera at all, their status has changed significantly since #! Waldorf and they are no longer part of the open-source (or FLOSS) community.

If the requirement to FOSS is going to be the criteria, fair enough (though Seamonkey qualifies as open source) Debian dropped their rebrand (same issue as Firefox with the rebrand), so that's "no more objectionable" than Firefox from a FOSS standpoint, and lags very little behind firefox in security terms.  Does load and run faster on low powered machines though, and provides IRC and mail clients.

Anyhow the BUG is that the install is broken, if it gets fixed by feature removal, fair enough, though the offerings in that pipe-menu are starting to look a mighty short list.

earlybird wrote:

Remains to check whether Opera is actually still runnable in Stretch userland

Not in a vanilla LXDE Stretch install, same unmet deps

However, digging a little deeper, this appears to be a problem that upstream haven't caught up with the stretch release yet, having just tried the opera developer release, followed by apt-get check which output the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 opera-developer : Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0) but it is not installed
                   Recommends: pepperflashplugin-nonfree but it is not installable
                   Recommends: chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra but it is not installable
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

and 'sudo apt fix-broken install' did indeed fix it.

As long as Opera 46 beats Helium to release, looks like the problem fixes itself regarding installing.. without recommends anyway.

Board footer