You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-29 23:01:11

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

LUKS-LVM Management

I know this can all be done from a terminal, but could the GUI tool for managing LVM not be present  on setups where LVM is used?

At least until such time as GParted supports LUKS-LVM setups.

I know it's only

sudo apt-get install system-config-lvm

and quick menu edit away, but the GUI for ordinary partition/disk management is provided, c-l tools are intimidating to n00bs for these sort of "potentially break my system" config adjustments post install and the Debian installer leaves no space for snapshots without post install adjustments or selecting manual partitioning.

If the argument is there's not space on the iso, though it could be useful from the live session, perhaps the question could go in bl-welcome on systems where it's relevant?

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

#2 2015-09-30 15:50:04

twoion
ほやほや

Re: LUKS-LVM Management

I wouldn't configure something as complex as LVM from a GUI but what you suggest makes sense since we already include a graphical partioning program. We'll add it to the package list. It's fairly small.

Per aspera ad astra.

#3 2015-09-30 17:00:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

twoion wrote:

We'll add it to the package list. It's fairly small.

Done.

#4 2015-09-30 17:01:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

Actually, hang on. See the warning, do we want to have this?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/system-config-lvm

#5 2015-09-30 17:23:15

twoion
ほやほや

hhh wrote:

Actually, hang on. See the warning, do we want to have this?
https://packages.debian.org/jessie/system-config-lvm

I see. Then no.

Per aspera ad astra.

#6 2015-09-30 17:41:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

Agreed, sorry Blunder!

#7 2015-09-30 17:41:26

Bearded_Blunder
Dodging A Bullet

How big a deal is that warning? I read that page before installing, obviously being on a laptop RAID is a non-issue for me and I would suggest the majority who choose this setup, given the most compelling reason to do so is to prevent laptop thieves getting at one's personal data.

At the cost of a little extra effort, the menu entry could start a script that checked for dangerous conditions and issued this warning, or just started the program when RAID is not in use, maybe.  Of course, some poor soul would have to remove this when a future version did perform such a check, though this is likely to be a good long way up the road, given the warning is still present for Stretch and Sid, otherwise I'd be suggesting a backport instead.

At least that way people would be warned, a simple apt-get install will leave anyone oblivious, as I would have been did I not make a practice of reading those pages before installing unfamiliar software.

Blessed is he who expecteth nothing, for he shall not be disappointed...
If there's an obscure or silly way to break it, but you don't know what.. Just ask me

Board footer