You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-15 11:03:53

anarchosax

Adding KXStudio repositories for music creation/production.

Anyone using the KXStudio repos for music creation/production? The Debian repos unfortunately have extremely old versions of Musescore and Rosegarden. I can imagine the same goes for other programs such as LMMS and Frescobaldi. Therefore, I have tried to add the KXStudio repos, but their repo packages depend on libglibmm-2.4-1v5, which is unavailable in BunsenLabs and manually downloading the package and installing doesn't seem to work either. Solutions? Advice? Thanks.

#2 2017-05-15 11:20:14

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office

Re: Adding KXStudio repositories for music creation/production.

Musescore has an appimage, Rosegarden is 16.06 in stretch repos... (Haven't dig further, but you should see the pattern). p.s. frescobaldi is 3.00 in stretch.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-05-15 13:13:39)

#3 2017-05-15 20:48:44

stevep
MX Linux Developer

The instructions on that link also say to add a repo for gcc-5 for Debian Jessie in order to use their packages.

I looked into their repo some time ago, and the packages are all built on Ubuntu and in a different way than the Debian versions concerning features and runtime dependencies. In many cases, this is to enable features not found in Debian builds, but don't expect your system to be able to upgrade to Stretch with those packages installed.

Have you done any research as to what's available in jessie-backports?  I just checked packages.debian.org, and it has musescore 2.0.3, which is the same as in upstream Debian.  I could possibly add any that they don't have into my own jessie-backports multimedia repo on the openSUSE build service--I have a lot of stuff in there that's not in j-b or even in Debian, though avidemux is the only one that may have patent issues.

There's also deb-multimedia and its own jessie-backports section, though it's had some issues with munging up some people's systems in the past.

#4 2017-05-16 05:38:46

anarchosax

Thanks for your reply. Interesting. I am sure I implemented the backports repos, but the only thing I could find was Musescore 1.3. I will look again when I am on my desktop computer. Yes, but the problem is exactly that their gcc repo depends on libglibmm-2.4-1v5, which is a no go with BL.

I have been recommended KXStudio because it was pointed out that I should be using LinuxSampler, which is in the KXStudio repo. Apparently LinuxSampler is quite difficult to build, which is maybe why it isn't included in Ubuntu Studio... There do appear to be Jessie packages and dependencies available here.

#5 2017-05-16 07:06:55

ohnonot
...again
Website

thoughts:
- you want to upgrade so many applications, that will have a significant impact on your whole system - in other words, maybe you should simply use a distro that can cater to that right ootb?
- we are talking audio production, yes? i'm not sure any significant changes have happened in the linux world in the past 3 years or so, so i'm questioning whether you even need newer versions.

#6 2017-05-16 09:28:38

anarchosax

ohnonot wrote:

thoughts:
- you want to upgrade so many applications, that will have a significant impact on your whole system - in other words, maybe you should simply use a distro that can cater to that right ootb?
- we are talking audio production, yes? i'm not sure any significant changes have happened in the linux world in the past 3 years or so, so i'm questioning whether you even need newer versions.

Significant changes often depends on the eye of the beholder. Significant system changes, a few, but significant program changes, absolutely. MuseScore made significant changes with the jump from version 1.3 to 2.0.3. LMMS, Rosegarden, absolutely dramatic improvements in stability, feature set and layout (more so LMMS than Rosegarden, but still...).

I don't think the KXStudio repos provide newer versions, in fact it could be a bit of a downgrade. My interest is access to software that otherwise requires complicated compiling procedures and is the main reason most people that work with audio creation/production are interested in that particular repo. The developers have also mastered a DVD image, but the"newest" is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which I don't believe is supported any longer with security updates.

Last edited by anarchosax (2017-05-16 09:31:10)

#7 2017-05-18 05:13:50

ohnonot
...again
Website

anarchosax wrote:

I don't think the KXStudio repos provide newer versions, in fact it could be a bit of a downgrade. My interest is access to software that otherwise requires complicated compiling procedures and is the main reason most people that work with audio creation/production are interested in that particular repo.

ok, i understand.

well looking at your link in post #1, it says there "debian/ubuntu"... of course that is to be taken with a pinch of salt...
what you have to do is find out which debian version corresponds to which ubuntu version.
(btw i wouldn't go with the testing version)
wherever you go from there, i do not know, i still think a careful manual translation from ubuntu packages to debian packages would be the safest way.
and/or make a backup of your current system before applying those changes?

The developers have also mastered a DVD image, but the"newest" is based on Ubuntu 14.04 which I don't believe is supported any longer with security updates.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

#8 2017-05-18 09:55:11

anarchosax

Thanks. I have been experimenting a fair amount with this the past couple of days, and my conclusion is that KXStudio (unfortunately) plays best with Ubuntu based distros. libglibmm-2.4-1v5 seems to be installed by default with Ubuntu distros that correspond to the 16.04 release. The KXStudio DVD .iso can be downloaded and installed, and it updates quite well. I suspect that the base could still be 14.04, but at the end of the upgrade process to the latest software, systemd and all related software were installed so...

The only thing that I can warn about is not to mix the Ubuntu Studio and KXStudio repos. I thought it would upgrade to KXStudio, and it did, but somewhere along the line I lost something as I no longer could log into my system at restart. At this moment I am using PeppermintOS (latest version) as a base (I hate the KDE Plasma KXStudio is using). I have all sorts of goodies now, including tons of plug-ins, samplers, etc. I even installed Sonic Pi!

I would still love to try this on my BunsenLabs install, but can't find a way around that libglibmm-2.4-1v5 requirement or a way to install it. Copying the repos from another install would get me part way, but the public keys aren't accessible as far as I know...

Last edited by anarchosax (2017-05-18 09:57:33)

#9 2017-05-19 06:34:40

ohnonot
...again
Website

just install the software you want manually.
get your hands dirty trying to compile something.
choose something else...
don't get hung up on kxstudio, there's plenty of linuxaudio stuff around.

#10 2017-05-20 02:30:51

stevep
MX Linux Developer

That page seems dated, from when Jessie was testing:

If you're using a system newer or equal to Debian Testing or Ubuntu 15.10 you'll also need to enable GCC5 packages.
You can do so by installing this deb file - kxstudio-repos-gcc5.deb, or manually by running this:

# Install required dependencies if needed
sudo apt-get install libglibmm-2.4-1v5

But that doesn't inspire confidence...

#11 2017-05-21 13:21:31

anarchosax

No, exactly. What the heck, I have had a look at what installs and noted that there is a lot of stuff. Do I need it all? No. I think ...again is correct. Thanks everyone for contributing smile

Board footer