You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-30 15:37:00

Enzyme

Installing from a USB drive.

Hey all. Previously lurked the #! forums a bit. Interested in trying out BL.

Quick question, though, before I DL the iso (I'm on limited bandwidth).

I grabbed the Jessie Live iso earlier today ready to test it out - and was dismayed to discover that the live system has absolutely zero wifi support.

I share internet with people in another apartment and they have the router (in their bedroom, no less), so I have to be able to install via wifi.

Does the BL Live iso have Wifi support from the get-go, or is it the same as Jessie?

Thanks!

#2 2015-09-30 15:40:07

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Installing from a USB drive.

BL Live has WiFi support, including for old Broadcom adapters. So does jessie if you use the "unnofficial" images that include non-free firmware.

#3 2015-09-30 15:41:19

twoion
ほやほや

Got ninja'd.
--
We have included extra (read: not included by default into the Debian live CD) wifi drivers and firmwares into the BL live ISOs just to cover this ground.

If you had your wifi card working on Linux before without larger issues, there is a large chance that you can use your wifi card when installing using our system.

Last edited by twoion (2015-09-30 15:41:47)

Per aspera ad astra.

#4 2015-09-30 15:55:23

Enzyme

hhh wrote:

BL Live has WiFi support, including for old Broadcom adapters.

Awesome, thanks. I'll get around to grabbing that tomorrow!

hhh wrote:

So does jessie if you use the "unnofficial" images that include non-free firmware.

So I read after I topped out today's downloads! I had enough bad experiences with unofficial Debians that I tend to shy away from them nowadays.

I think the last thing I installed was a Mint, where 99% of everything works out the box. I forget the Debian folk can be a little, uh, traditional in their approach to installation. I remember having to input the monitor refresh rate by hand (which is awesome if you bought your monitor second hand at a garage sale!) and the installation taking basically all day when I was using Woody.

I'm keen to see what BL is like - I still have Cruncheee on my ee701, and I ran a version (9? 8? Was there an 8?) on my daily machine back in 2010. Basically everything I want in a desktop experience!

#5 2015-09-30 15:57:22

beng

Hi
avoid using unetbootin to create your bootable USB - there are issues with it (cannot install from USB basically; it looks for the cdrom)

#6 2015-09-30 15:59:36

Enzyme

twoion wrote:

Got ninja'd.
--
We have included extra (read: not included by default into the Debian live CD) wifi drivers and firmwares into the BL live ISOs just to cover this ground.

If you had your wifi card working on Linux before without larger issues, there is a large chance that you can use your wifi card when installing using our system.

Yeah, hhh was fast, eh?

Not only have I not had problems with my Wifi card, I'm actually running Debian on the same machine right now.

The hard drive in my current notebook was installed with Squeeze in an old laptop which since died, and I upgraded to Wheezy and moved it into this one and didn't need to change a thing. The wifi, and everything else, Just Worked.

So there not being wifi on Debian Live was confusing to say the least.

Board footer