You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-15 13:12:37

hhh
Meep!
Website

gnome-mpv

gnome-mpv is a GUI front-end for mpv that I've been using very recently, and I like it very much. It's replaced VLC and SMplayer on my stretch system, but I haven't tested it enough to recommend it. If you're on stretch or sid, please have a look at it and post your feedback.

You don't need to install mpv as installing gnome-mpv will install the required libraries, but it won't harm anything if mpv is also installed.

sudo apt install --no-install-recommends gnome-mpv

If you leave off the "no recommends" switch you'll also get youtube-dl.

Screenshot_2017-03-13_10-38-37.md.png

The GKT3 theme has Client-Side Decorations enabled by default, but it has a Preference setting to disable them (the first application I've seen to do so). It can be set as your default media player and works with "Open with..." context menus.

There is no 'man' page, but it recognizes the options available to mpv, so 'man mpv' is pretty essential. It does have an active GitHub page that outlines its features (see "Usage")...
https://github.com/gnome-mpv/gnome-mpv

Here's a simple configuration file (mpv.conf) to get you started, load it from any location via the player's preferences...

#Open the player in fullscreen mode
fullscreen=yes

#Resume playback of any file from where you last left off
save-position-on-quit

#Close the player when the playlist finishes
idle=once

Thanks for testing!

#2 2017-03-15 13:53:15

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Re: gnome-mpv

pros
- I like how you can drag-drop youtube urls to playlist window and the playlist window itself.

gnome-mpv.th.png

cons
- It doesn't remember playlist between sessions.
- jump at playback start

Tested on real metal.

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2017-03-17 11:12:45)

#3 2017-03-15 13:57:35

hhh
Meep!
Website

Thanks for the feedback! The window is behaving normally for you? @johnraff was feeling no joy, but he was using VirtualBox.

The window itself, with CSD disabled, looks almost exactly like gnome-mplayer did, IIRC.

BTW, the playlist is hidden by default, F9 opens and shuts it. There are 3 pages of keyboard shortcuts listed under the Help menu.

#4 2017-03-15 13:58:54

brontosaurusrex
Middle Office
Website

Normally?

#5 2017-03-15 14:25:04

hhh
Meep!
Website

^We'll have to let him describe the behavior, I went all bone-head and deleted the post when I tried to split it. roll Report if you find any bugs while using it, if you'd be so kind. smile

#6 2017-03-15 21:08:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I much prefer this to vlc.

It uses GTK rather than Qt so I think that it matches my desktop better than vlc even with the CSD on (which I like, perversely) and it looks *much* nicer.

In respect of memory usage, for a blank window:

Helium: ~ $ su -c 'ps-mem' | grep 'vlc\|mpv'
 26.5 MiB +   3.7 MiB =  30.2 MiB	vlc
 45.1 MiB +   8.5 MiB =  53.7 MiB	gnome-mpv

Playing a 1080p video:

Helium: ~ $ su -c 'ps-mem' | grep 'vlc\|mpv'
101.3 MiB +  12.8 MiB = 114.1 MiB	gnome-mpv
139.8 MiB +   6.7 MiB = 146.5 MiB	vlc

+1 for switching to this.

Disclaimer: I use Kodi  devil

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#7 2017-03-16 06:01:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I use Kodi  devil

Just installed it to try, and WOW!! That's quite an overwhelming interface - it just sort of takes over the whole scene...
Very impressive but not quite what I want for a bit of bgm. Thanks for the hint anyway. smile

------------------------------

Back to {gnome-,}mpv on Stretch, in Virtualbox 5.1.18 with Guest Additions updated:

First, the default setting is with Client-side decorations enabled, and that was totally unusable. Drop-down menus stayed dropped-down, but inert once clicked, and the button that launched them had to be clicked again to get a working one. Ghosts of the old menus still hung around, and eventually the whole thing crashed. Disabling CSD got a more sane interface that at least did what you'd expect.

The big issue is that it throws up an extra video window, whether needed or not. It looks like what mpv puts up when called with '--force-window' with the difference that it doesn't do anything. Drag and drop does nothing, and even after loading an audio file some other way the black extra window just sits there, above the window you actually want. It is possible to D&D files onto the main GUI window though, after you get it out from under the black box. BTW with 'fullscreen=yes' the black window is maximized.

If you open a video file the black box displays the video, while the main GUI window acquires an extra control panel for stop/start/pause, slightly detached from the window, while the proper one is unusable. (This with video only.)

Idle:
gnome_mpv_idle.jpg
Playing audio:
gnome_mpv_audio.jpg
Playing video:
gnome_mpv_video.jpg
Does nobody else get any of these problems? For me the whole thing was a mess. I installed vanilla mpv to compare and that was more sane. Unfortunately, the idle window, while displaying an invitation to D&D which was lacking in Jessie, actually failed to respond to D&D'd files at all. That works fine in Jessie.

Could it all be an issue with Virtualbox?

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#8 2017-03-16 06:09:09

hhh
Meep!
Website

I'd say so. Not seeing any of that, with or without CSD, with or without compton, with or without mpv also installed. Just a nice, minimal GUI as seen in my scrot.

Have you tried with no config file?

@b-rex, so... normal, as opposed to FUBAR. big_smile

#9 2017-03-16 06:40:30

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

Have you tried with no config file?

Yes, I added that file just today to see if it would help. sad

#10 2017-03-16 06:43:30

damo
....moderator....

johnraff wrote:

Does nobody else get any of these problems? For me the whole thing was a mess. I installed vanilla mpv to compare and that was more sane. Unfortunately, the idle window, while displaying an invitation to D&D which was lacking in Jessie, actually failed to respond to D&D'd files at all. That works fine in Jessie.

Could it all be an issue with Virtualbox?

No problems with gnome-mpv for me (Debian Stretch netinstall + BL helium-dev netinstall script, on bare metal). It is pretty cool, especially with no csd. D&D works fine, and I particularly like the screenshot facility smile

But since many people run BL in VBox, a seriously glitchy default application is something to be avoided IMO.

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#11 2017-03-16 07:40:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Anyway, this is something for Helium, so it might get sorted out in the next couple of months. Even if it doesn't make default app we can certainly add it to the multimedia menu and bl-alternatives I'd have thought.
(Gnome-mplayer is gone from Stretch btw.)

#12 2017-03-16 21:11:08

twoion
ほやほや

(I've split the virtualbox/libvirt discussion into https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3487 to not derail this thread.)

Wahllos schlägt das Schicksal zu / heute ich und morgen du.

#13 2017-03-16 21:21:51

hhh
Meep!
Website

^Added a "Continued from..." link to the OP in the new thread.

#14 2017-03-17 23:04:34

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

Does nobody else get any of these problems?

The issue also occurs under QEMU/KVM (stretch host, stretch guest):

2017-03-17-225923_1920x1080_scrot.th.png

#15 2017-03-18 00:39:27

stevep
MX Linux Developer

I'd have to guess that it has something to do with mpv using the opengl video output by default, and support for that can be sketchy in a virtual machine.  Does Gnome-mpv have any way to switch the video output to something more generic, like x11?

Last edited by stevep (2017-03-18 00:40:02)

#16 2017-03-18 00:40:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

stevep wrote:

Does Gnome-mpv have any way to switch the video output to something more generic, like x11?

Good call, it uses the mpv configuration files, I will test this soonest...

#17 2017-03-18 01:12:26

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I will test this soonest...

Using vo=x11 in ~/.config/mpv/mvp.conf disables hardware acceleration for gnome-mpv but the double-window problem persists

#18 2017-03-18 02:13:33

hhh
Meep!
Website

An issue could be opened at their GitHub page, but I'd imagine it would get low priority. How often do people fire up a VM to play media? If it's a must for someone, wouldn't they just ditch the GUI or use VLC or something?

#19 2018-01-20 05:35:08

johnraff
nullglob
Website

hhh wrote:

An issue could be opened at their GitHub page, but I'd imagine it would get low priority. How often do people fire up a VM to play media? If it's a must for someone, wouldn't they just ditch the GUI or use VLC or something?

Well, if the question is whether to make gnome-mpv the default BunsenLabs media player, then I think it ought to work OK in a VM too. There are people who live in a VM, right?

Anyway, I have just tried gnome-mpv in a real laptop, and there it works fine, so as an alternative in the install menu it's no problem, surely?

BTW does anyone know where gnome-mpv stores its own configuration settings, eg whether to use client-side-decorations or not? I've searched all over...

#20 2018-01-20 12:37:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

BTW does anyone know where gnome-mpv stores its own configuration settings

~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf

Sorry, try /usr/share/appdata/io.github.GnomeMpv.appdata.xml (not sure though).

client-side-decorations

Haven't we eliminated them anyway with https://packages.debian.org/stretch/gtk3-nocsd?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2018-01-20 13:05:22)

#21 2018-01-21 02:43:26

stevep
MX Linux Developer

I thought appdata files just provided information to "software store" style apps; the user's config has to be somewhere in their home folder.

#22 2018-01-21 06:42:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

CSD first: gtk3-nocsd doesn't seem to do all that much.
When I first launched gnome-mpv on a laptop with gtk3-nocsd installed, default config (see /etc/X11/Xsession.d/01gtk3-nocsd) the result was an openbox generated title bar+decorations, and the app title bar below it, something like this:gedit-without-csd.png
After all my hacking around, that no longer happens, and to get the "no-csd" appearance there I now have to call it explicitly with 'gtk3-nocsd gnome-mpv'. No CLI variable-passing changes anything.
( See https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd )

But anyway, g-m has an internal setting in preferences "Enable client-side decorations" which, if unchecked, has a much deeper effect - reverting the top bar to a traditional File Edit View Help. Less attractive to some maybe, but more important than the fact that I prefer it that way, is a github issue with tearing, seemingly related to CSD:
https://github.com/gnome-mpv/gnome-mpv/ … -254710306
https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/4197

So (to move on to the config file issue) I was looking for a place to set CSD disabled by default in the user $HOME. It remembers the setting so it must be stored somewhere. neutral
~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf does not exist, nor anything in ~/.config/gnome-mpv
/usr/share/appdata/io.github.GnomeMpv.appdata.xml has only basic, er, app data.

I'll try running it with strace and see if I can catch a write operation to some file when amending the setting via the GUI...
But if anyone can save me the trouble it would be nice. smile

EDIT:
'strace -e open gnome-mpv' indicated access to /run/dconf/user/1000 and ~/.config/dconf/user. These are binary files that can only be read dconf-editor (or dconf from dconf-cli). However, even if both are deleted, gnome-mpv still remembers its client-side-decorations enabled/disabled setting! I've had about enough of this, to be honest.
Unless someone has a bright idea, I'm for just having gnome-mpv in the install menu, and leaving it up to users from there on...

Last edited by johnraff (2018-01-21 08:24:10)

Board footer