You are not logged in.

#26 2017-01-07 18:51:11

cpoakes

Re: Openbox with rounded corners

ADDITIONAL PATCH UPDATE

The patch was not drawing/redrawing the window frame with rounded corners when an application resized itself (e.g. vlc resizing window after opening a video clip). The patch in the original post is now modified with this correction. If you used the patch before 07 Jan 16, you will need to copy the new version. If you are unsure which version you have, the new version references the date "b/openbox/frame.c    2017-01-06 08:56:08.861765701 -0700". All other original content and instructions in the post remain correct.

Last edited by cpoakes (2017-01-07 18:58:18)

#27 2017-01-07 19:52:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

NOTE: packages removed, links dead.

Use https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 248#p43248 instead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The newly-patched .debs have been built and are ready to download.

Links here:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 870#p42870

At the moment, it's all a bit Heath Robinson and the .deb has to be managed manually and will be overwritten by `apt upgrade` — I will re-package it properly with a different name (as suggested by cpoakes) when I have time, this will make installation directly from my OBS repository much easier.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-12 19:52:02)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#28 2017-01-07 21:40:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right, sample openbox-bunsen packages are now available from my OBS repository and should be directly installable.

Instructions here:

https://software.opensuse.org/download. … box-bunsen

Those commands should be run as root, use this command to attain the relevant permissions beforehand:

sudo -i

Remember to `exit` out of the root shell (or close the terminal) afterwards wink

The openbox-bunsen package should replace the Debian openbox package so the two can be swapped in and out as required.

Unfortunately, the bunsen-pipemenus package depends on Debian's openbox big_smile

For testing purposes, we will do without that for now.

I will add a version of bunsen-pipemenus to my OBS repository with the corrected dependency at a later date.

Watch this space smile

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-12 19:52:15)

#29 2017-01-07 22:37:37

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I will add a version of bunsen-pipemenus to my OBS repository with the corrected dependency at a later date.

Watch this space smile

Done!

smile

To install the rounded corners version of openbox, add my repositories and then use:

sudo apt install openbox-bunsen bunsen-pipemenus-rounded

This should remove the vanilla openbox & bunsen-pipemenus packages and replace them with the new versions.

To go back to the stock packages, use:

sudo apt install openbox{,-bunsen-} bunsen-pipemenus{,-rounded-}

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-12 19:52:32)

#30 2017-01-08 06:57:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

HoaS I wonder if something went amiss with the last build process? I've just (directly) downloaded the amd64 and i386 debs and all I could find inside was the DEBIAN directory and the docs.

You might also consider a 'Conflicts: openbox' in D/control since the installed files will override those of the regular openbox. In fact, I'm not sure if re-naming the package is the best way to go here. A different version number instead? That would allow it to carry on using bunsen-pipemenus too.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#31 2017-01-08 11:42:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

HoaS I wonder if something went amiss with the last build process? I've just (directly) downloaded the amd64 and i386 debs and all I could find inside was the DEBIAN directory and the docs.

Yup, that's because I'm an idiot and I forgot to add debian/openbox-bunsen.install  roll

The package is fixed now, thank you for testing.

I did attempt to "test" my package but I forgot to use `apt-get clean`  ops

You might also consider a 'Conflicts: openbox' in D/control since the installed files will override those of the regular openbox.

debian/control already has these lines:

Conflicts: openbox
Replaces: openbox

For bunsen-pipemenus-rounded, I have simply changed "openbox" in the dependency field to:

openbox | openbox-bunsen

As a result, if `apt purge openbox-bunsen` is issued, that package will be replaced by the stock Debian openbox version  glasses

In fact, I'm not sure if re-naming the package is the best way to go here. A different version number instead? That would allow it to carry on using bunsen-pipemenus too.

Well, I always like to provide a simple method to return to the stock configuration with any of my "tweaks" so this seemed like the best option.

If a version bump is used instead then downgrading with `dpkg --force-downgrade` would be the only way (?).

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-08 13:17:40)

#32 2017-01-08 18:17:48

cpoakes

cloverskull wrote:

My understanding of OpenBox is that it's more or less treated as "feature-complete" but I think it would be pretty cool to push this into the codebase. Would this be doable?

After consideration, I've decided not to submit this upstream to openbox. As already noted, the methodology is crude - it simply erases the square corners, does not apply a new border to the curve, and does not use the compositor (leaving jaggy edges). Frankly, this can look bad on themes with high contrast between the window title colors and the border color (like stock themes Clearlooks and Mikachu). As long as the theme border and window title colors are close in value, it is a satisfying workaround but not a general solution for all themes.

It does seem appropriate for a distro (like BL) to distribute the patched version when it also supplies compatible OB themes as the RPi Pixel desktop creators chose to do with their version.

#33 2017-01-09 02:35:29

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

debian/control already has these lines:

Conflicts: openbox
Replaces: openbox

So it does, and did yesterday too. Sorry, my eyes...

In fact, I'm not sure if re-naming the package is the best way to go here. A different version number instead? That would allow it to carry on using bunsen-pipemenus too.

Well, I always like to provide a simple method to return to the stock configuration with any of my "tweaks" so this seemed like the best option.

If a version bump is used instead then downgrading with `dpkg --force-downgrade` would be the only way (?).

I always just 'apt-get purge' the (local) package then reinstall from the repos in such cases. I haven't tried that with openbox during an X session though... Maybe the necessary stuff would persist in RAM, maybe not. Of course it would be OK if you logged out of X first.

And you are advocating installing from your private repo, which of course would complicate the downgrade a bit. To be honest, I alwqys prefer to download and install such debs manually, unless the repo is being maintained by a large and reliable organization (no offence meant of course). I just don't like the idea of pulling in some other unwanted packages by mistake.

cpoakes wrote:

It does seem appropriate for a distro (like BL) to distribute the patched version when it also supplies compatible OB themes as the RPi Pixel desktop creators chose to do with their version.

Since we would indeed be shipping a matching theme, this sounds like something we could think about for a future BL (Helium?), with some documentation explaining the need to switch to regular openbox for certain themes.

TEST:
On my Virtualbox, after install of openbox-bunsen and bunsen-pipemenus-rounded openbox failed to start. I just got a default terminal on a BL wallpaper - no tint2, conky, right-click menu etc. Closing the terminal with ^d exited the session.
Screenshot_090117_11_33_38.jpg

John
--------------------

#34 2017-01-09 03:38:55

cpoakes

johnraff wrote:

Since we would indeed be shipping a matching theme, this sounds like something we could think about for a future BL (Helium?), with some documentation explaining the need to switch to regular openbox for certain themes.

There is no need to switch to regular openbox, setting rc.xml <cornerRadius> to 0 runs normal windows with square corners for any and all themes. And if you delete <cornerRadius> altogether, it defaults to square corners.

Last edited by cpoakes (2017-01-09 03:48:26)

#35 2017-01-09 03:54:44

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@cpoakes, I took this to mean that the patched OB would not work well with some themes:

cpoakes wrote:

this can look bad on themes with high contrast between the window title colors and the border color (like stock themes Clearlooks and Mikachu).

So you mean that we would need to ship a different rc.xml with the round-corner OB? And our documentation would need to explain the necessary rc.xml setting for high-contrast themes?

BTW I don't suppose the lack of any <cornerRadius> setting in my test rc.xml would have caused the above OB crash?

John
--------------------

#36 2017-01-09 05:53:59

cpoakes

Clarification: The patched openbox works as normal displaying square corners with any and all themes for:

<cornerRadius>0</cornerRadius>

or if <cornerRadius> is completely omitted from rc.xml. Square corners are the default; round corners must be explicitly configured with a non-zero value. The high contrast themes only look bad with non-zero values. They look as if someone forgot to draw something - which is the crude but intentional methodology.

If the BL Helium theme is designed with round corners, it will ship with an rc.xml including a non-zero <cornerRadius>. BL documentation would need explain how to restore square corners (delete <cornerRadius> or set it to 0) if the chopped corners look bad with a user theme or just to be rid of round corners.

No Crash: I just verified that my patched openbox-3.5.2 launches (no crash) with 1) no <cornerRadius> field, 2) <cornerRadius> of 0, and 3) <cornerRadius> of 8. I am not using HOAS's packages (still compiling my own), so I cannot rule out anything packaging related.

#37 2017-01-09 07:21:24

cpoakes

@johnraff - I seem to have replicated your problem on bare metal. 1) I boot the BL iso into openbox/tint2/conky, 2) download and install (dpkg -i) openbox-bunsen*deb bunsen-pipemenus-round*deb, 3) exit the x-session to lightdm, 4) login as user:live, and 5) end up in X with just the x-terminal-emulator (the x-session fallback).

Exiting the shell goes back to the lightdm login and I can explicitly choose an openbox session and login to X with openbox/tint2/conky as expected (with square corners). I can then set <cornerRadius> in <theme> of rc.xml, do "openbox --restart", and have round corners.

It appears that replacing the standard openbox/bunsen-pipemenus with the patched/round versions causes lightdm to lose track of openbox as the default session and starts a default x-terminal-emulator instead. I didn't diagnose any further.

#38 2017-01-09 07:27:22

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Thanks for testing, I will look into this tonight.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

#39 2017-01-09 07:41:08

cpoakes

Thanks for iterating on my changes and debugging the packaging; won't be surprised if this packaging problem is particularly subtle or a side-effect.

Last edited by cpoakes (2017-01-09 07:43:36)

#40 2017-01-09 07:44:55

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Just confirmed that the RPi version you posted first built, installed and ran without crashing, but I ran out of time at the patching-the-debian-source version. Let's wait and see what HoaS has to say.

EDIT: posts 37~39 arrived while I was posting - reading them now.

BTW: regarding reverting back to the standard OB after installing from HoaS's repo - would not a simple remove, followed by 'apt-get install -t jessie' do it, even if both packages had the same name?

Last edited by johnraff (2017-01-09 08:26:41)

John
--------------------

#41 2017-01-09 17:51:19

cloverskull

I'm noticing a bit of strangeness with bottom borders. Best example I can give (can't screenshot here, at work, didn't think to write this up while at home with my linux box) is to use vanilla BL, add HOAS's repos (opensuse) and install the packages from there. After that, set a corner radius of 4, launch Terminator, and notice that the border isn't redrawn - the corner is just erased and the border at the bottom looks like it disappears.

Would it be possible to redraw the border on the edge pixels?

#42 2017-01-09 18:56:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

TEST:
On my Virtualbox, after install of openbox-bunsen and bunsen-pipemenus-rounded openbox failed to start. I just got a default terminal on a BL wallpaper - no tint2, conky, right-click menu etc. Closing the terminal with ^d exited the session.
http://s24.postimg.org/3o8s2y9kx/Screenshot_090117_11_33_38.jpg

This problem occurs because my custom openbox-bunsen package doesn't set itself (or, more specifically, /usr/bin/openbox) as /etc/alternatives/x-session-manager, that symlink is in fact deleted if no other window or session managers are installed.

I have no idea why this happens sad

As cpoakes notes, selecting openbox explicitly from LightDM allows the desktop to be started normally.

Sorry for the **** up but I had openbox selected in LightDM rather than "Default Xsession" so I didn't notice.

I think that johnraff is completely right (again!) and I should just use a version bump instead with no change in the package name.

johnraff wrote:

regarding reverting back to the standard OB after installing from HoaS's repo - would not a simple remove, followed by 'apt-get install -t jessie' do it, even if both packages had the same name?

Good idea, I will try this.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-09 18:59:47)

#43 2017-01-09 19:52:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

johnraff wrote:

regarding reverting back to the standard OB after installing from HoaS's repo - would not a simple remove, followed by 'apt-get install -t jessie' do it, even if both packages had the same name?

That does not work but this does:

# apt install openbox=3.5.2-8

My package is openbox_3.5.2-8.1

The OBS repositories are playing up a bit at the moment, I will post back with full instructions when the new packages are built.

Hopefully I won't mess it up again...
hmm

#44 2017-01-09 23:58:26

cpoakes

cloverskull wrote:

I'm noticing a bit of strangeness with bottom borders... the border isn't redrawn - the corner is just erased and the border at the bottom looks like it disappears.

Would it be possible to redraw the border on the edge pixels?

I'd love to offer round corners with borders. But as previously noted, this design is a crude workaround which just erases the corners to a rounded shape without redrawing anything. The amount of coding required to draw round corners with borders ("the right way") is non-trivial, and likely the reason the related 10 year old openbox feature request has gone unimplemented. Also why RPi Pixel created their patch.

Unfortunately, this means there are themes and theme/background combinations that just don't look good with this patch or the RPi version. If you're dissatisfied with the outcome and on a quest for round corners, I'd suggest fluxbox which is also a blackbox derivative like OB and includes native rounded corner configuration. The Bunsen Fluxbox forum can get you started, and the archived CB forums may also be useful.

#45 2017-01-10 01:14:29

cloverskull

Cool. It wasn't a criticism, I didn't realize the non-triviality of implementing something like that (the extent of my UI design work has been with java swing applications). smile

#46 2017-01-10 07:34:55

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

All of the packages have been built.

The usual OBS link doesn't seem to be working for me but I will post it here anyway as this will probably be fixed:

http://software.opensuse.org/download.h … ox-rounded

I included some more distributions for this version, here are the repository direct links:

Debian 8 (jessie/BunsenLabs)

Debian 7 (wheezy, #!)

Ubuntu 16.10

Ubuntu 16.04

Ubuntu 14.04

I have no idea if the non-jessie packages will work as I have not tested them smile

It is probably best to install using the .deb package & gdebi

To revert back to the stock Openbox package, use:

sudo apt install openbox=3.5.2-8

#47 2017-01-12 19:38:11

beaker

Great work guys.

I'm pretty keen on giving this a try but am confused about quite what I need to download for a Debian stable system.

Are the install instructions that are referred to earlier in the thread anywhere to be found? The link appears invalid.

#48 2017-01-12 19:40:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

beaker wrote:

I'm pretty keen on giving this a try but am confused about quite what I need to download for a Debian stable system.

Yes, sorry about that, I had to delete the old links.

See my post directly above yours for the "final" installation method — just download the correct .deb file for your system and use gdebi to install it.

I will edit my earlier posts to clarify this.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2017-01-12 19:42:41)

#49 2017-01-12 20:24:02

beaker

Great. Thanks for you reply and many, many thanks for packaging those up for mass consumption wink

#50 2017-01-13 04:08:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I've been down with 'flu the last few days, but hoping to get some feedback to you eventually...

John
--------------------

Board footer