You are not logged in.

#1 2017-01-06 14:22:31

gerald

RS880 ATI Graphics

Greetings, is there any cure for the lack of support for RS880 Radeon Graphics?

Installed BL on HP G61 4GB RAM AMD Athlon II Dual Core M320 GPU AMD/ATI RS880M Mobility Radeon HD 4225/4250

Had Debian 8 on this machine until they removed the RS880 support. I upgraded to 8.5 without noticing. Graphics were really good prior to the upgrade and USB headphones worked as well. Am considering a re-install with Debian 7.11 as a solution.

When booting now into this BL version I have black screen with machine code appearing at random until the login box.

Any experts here who may have some advice for a graphics improvement and the USB headset, thanks in advance.

#2 2017-01-06 15:02:21

twoion
ほやほや

Re: RS880 ATI Graphics

RS880 is part of the R600 family which should be supported by the open-source radeon driver.

Are you talking about the proprietary fglrx driver from AMD? It is correct that they dropped support for recent versions of Xorg in fglrx for probably yours and also many older cards. Unless you downgrade Xorg plus all dependencies – which is going to mess up a lot of things – then you're out of luck (or install Debian 7 again).

I had the same 'issue' with a Radeon X1200 years ago and just kinda had to suck it up. That was in 2010-2011, and performance with the open-source driver was barely acceptable at the time. Though there have been many improvements.

Get a as recent as possible graphics stack and leverage improvements to mesa and kernel – there has been a lot of work invested into AMD on Linux thanks to the AMDGPU thin: for this, I recommend to upgrade to testing, as stretch is almost ready anyway and there should be little harm. You would slowly transition into Debian 9 with the freeze and possibly be happy. Or you could get a recent mesa and Xorg from Debian backports.

(Note that the BL GTK themes won't work with the GTK3 version in stretch at this time.)

I'd definitely recommend to check out the accomplishments in Mesa made during the past year before throwing the towel into the fire.

There is no competition between bugs. When you combine two awesome bugs, you get a totally awesome bug.

#3 2017-01-07 06:50:30

gerald

Re: RS880 ATI Graphics

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Will upgrade to Debian 9 if there is hope that the RS880 will be supported somehow. I investigated MESA today and tried to make mesa-demos-8.3.0, unfortunately it failed for missing GL, when I tried to install these, there was going to be a myriad of items removed, so I abandoned same. Have downloaded Debian 7.11 and will install that should a failure occur in this current BL Jessie version. I hope that MESA keeps up the good work. Best regards, Gerald

Board footer