You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-20 19:50:10

gree

Mobile Bunsenlabs

Any plan for a mobile edition, like Ubuntu Phone?

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2016-10-25 18:45:33)

#2 2016-09-21 19:56:51

ohnonot
...again

Re: Mobile Bunsenlabs

bunsenlabs is mostly debian stable.
so you should check if debian are planning a mobile edition.
it is a huge undertaking, and so far no usable gnu/linux distro for mobile phones exists anywhere.

Give to COVAX! Here or here. (explanation)
My Repos: notabug | framagit

#3 2016-09-22 19:16:44

gree

thanks ohnonot. I'm more looking for a full linux; and ontop a mobile GUI if needed (like Windows + WindowsMobile) Any clue how to create it via any wysiwyg-editor? smile

#4 2016-09-22 19:55:51

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

gree wrote:

thanks ohnonot. I'm more looking for a full linux; and ontop a mobile GUI if needed (like Windows + WindowsMobile) Any clue how to create it via any wysiwyg-editor? smile

lol...judging from the (un) success and market share of windows mobile and windows phone...you really wanna pursue this?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#5 2016-09-23 02:09:04

twoion
一期一会

No. Definitely not. The time investment required would be obscene and the benefits zero.

#6 2016-09-23 14:05:50

ohnonot
...again

twoion wrote:

and the benefits zero.

i wouldn't say that...
i'm still dreaming of having some kind of real gnu/linux on my phone.

the main difficulty is, simply put, that most mobile devices are not PCs.
sounds like a matter of course?
think what PCs actually are and why we are able to install Linux (and also Windows, btw) on so many different devices.

#7 2016-09-23 14:09:15

oswriter

twoion wrote:

No. Definitely not. The time investment required would be obscene and the benefits zero.

An alternative question: What would it take to replicate a BL-style desktop on Raspbian? BL seems like a natural fit for the Pi. (And no, I'm not asking anyone to do this, just wondering.)

#8 2016-09-23 14:21:30

damo
....moderator....

oswriter wrote:

...What would it take to replicate a BL-style desktop on Raspbian? BL seems like a natural fit for the Pi. (And no, I'm not asking anyone to do this, just wondering.)

Search out "PiBang"  - it was (?) a port of Crunchbang for the RasPi. It worked OK for me, even if there were some idiosyncratic software choices for such low spec hardware.

I think some of the devs have been/will be investigating BL for ARM.

You could install Raspbian and add the BL scripts of course. Then write up a HowTo for us wink

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#9 2016-09-23 14:21:54

ohnonot
...again

^ your question is unclear. please explain.
you have raspbian installed on a pi, and want a bl-style desktop? that's easy, you can actually install bunsen with something like this:

apt-get install bunsen-desktop

(actual commands may differ)

#10 2016-09-23 15:52:51

twoion
一期一会

oswriter wrote:
twoion wrote:

An alternative question: What would it take to replicate a BL-style desktop on Raspbian? BL seems like a natural fit for the Pi. (And no, I'm not asking anyone to do this, just wondering.)

We actually support armhf. So if you want to install BL on armhf, the repo actually works there. No aarch64 or armel though.

#11 2016-09-23 18:06:01

oswriter

ohnonot wrote:

^ your question is unclear. please explain.
you have raspbian installed on a pi, and want a bl-style desktop? that's easy, you can actually install bunsen with something like this:

apt-get install bunsen-desktop

(actual commands may differ)

Thanks. I don't actually have a pi. I was just wondering.

#12 2016-09-24 14:21:46

gree

Does anyone know if you can run linux(debian) on the Helio X25 (Meizu Smartphone)? Up to now I'm not sure if it's even possible running it smooth on a mobile. But 10-Core + 4GB Ram doesn't sound to bad... Not sure about drivers.

#13 2016-09-24 14:35:15

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Don't know about smartphones, but since the discussion has evolved to include single-board computers, I should point out that while the Raspberry Pi has an impressive user community and early market saturation, many believe its commitment to Broadcom chipsets makes it a dead end.

I'm seriously considering getting an Orange Pi or Banana Pi or ODROID to experiment with Bunsenfying a vanilla ARMbian install, but so far I've found that my Jellybean fondleslab does everything that I'd use an ARMbian machine for.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#14 2016-09-26 06:20:12

ohnonot
...again

gree wrote:

Does anyone know if you can run linux(debian) on the Helio X25 (Meizu Smartphone)? Up to now I'm not sure if it's even possible running it smooth on a mobile. But 10-Core + 4GB Ram doesn't sound to bad... Not sure about drivers.

this post just reveals that you have taken NO effort at all to research the issue for yourself.

don't get me wrong, i'd love to see real gnu/linux for smartphones, but there's just so many reasons why it doesn't happen, i don't even want to repeat it all. you can search here or on crunchbang forums, i ventured into the same issue some 1 year ago (and shared my research, if i may humbly say so) - the result was that for all intents and purposes (i.e. having an everyday usable device in the end) i was better off hardening and customising an android phone.
most of us have been down that avenue at some point.
please, i say it again, do some research.

#15 2016-09-26 19:47:14

gree

... I don't get you wrong. After multiple hours of research I thought it would be a good  idea to ask the forum... never mind!

#16 2016-10-25 18:42:39

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Although the thread is closed, I still would like to mention here the N900 project.

http://neo900.org/

Looks interesting.

#17 2016-10-25 18:45:21

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

martix wrote:

Although the thread is closed

The thread is not closed, the OP just had a hissy fit and sulked off.
big_smile

I have edited the title.

I still would like to mention here the N900 project.

http://neo900.org/

Looks interesting.

Yes indeed, nice link -- thanks smile

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#18 2016-10-25 19:17:19

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

@HoaS You're welcome! I think the project goes back to 2013/2014 and it's been running since then, but I just heard about it some months ago. Somehow it is not well known, although it's unique and something especially for opensource/linux enthusiasts. There seems to be a small but focused ommunity behind the development. I think the device is great, it's got potential (I'm so sorry about a similar project, the Jolla tablet, which produced some working devices but because of cash issues it has fallen apart... Now those remaining tablets are only available for over 400 Euro on the net...). Edit: I forgot to mention that there is a project which makes Debian available on a phone:  maruos. So far it's only for the Nexus 5. It works basically as a phone + desktop computer in one device.

Last edited by martix (2016-10-26 20:37:53)

#19 2016-10-27 18:38:34

ohnonot
...again

the neo900 uses the same case as the Nokia N900, with current hardware.
owners of a nokia n900 can replace the innards, but they're also selling complete devices.
that's a wonderful idea, but afaiu the screen is the original, with its somewhat low resolution.
sales have not yet started, you can get onboard with 450€, the complete device will cost over 1000€.
too much for me.
cry

i recently heard someone praising sailfishos and they made it sound like it can be installed to other devices than the original jolla phone.
the jolla phone exists in somewhat larger numbers, today i saw a guy on the bus using it and asked. he said the os is receiving updates, and the device is powerful enough to still satisfy.
i'm getting increasingly interested in this.
i heard that sailfishos' linux base is fully functional. and it has android apk compatibility (that guy said that there's an about 33% risk that the android app WON'T work). sounds almost too good to be true...

Last edited by ohnonot (2016-10-27 18:40:23)

#20 2016-10-28 09:55:23

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

The Jolla folks are very active on the social network diaspora. Lot's of reviews and infos there. They have partner stores like Aptoide, Yandex and Anzhi, no google playstore (some APKs don't work if they require specific google services). The new Jolla C costs around 500 € on the second hand market (they are not available from Jolla anymore), older models cost around 200-300.
It's a good alternative since plain android is nothing else but a spying device made by google. It's similar with iOS. Your data becomes basically the company's data. There is no proper way to monitor or control what is being sent. How can people just overlook this issue? It's striking, but the majority does not seem to care. Btw there are some great custom ROMs based on android, which can be used without google-services. There is also the Ubuntu Phone, which is also based on linux and the devices are made by Aquaris.

Edit: On the last day of Mobile World Congress 2015, the Jolla Tablet running with Sailfish OS 2.0 was awarded with "The Best Tablet of the whole event" prize by Trusted Reviews. It was a great device. It's strange that this project failed "due to lack of necessary components that are not available any longer." I'm wondering what mysterious forces pressured suppliers to stop delivering some crucial parts...

Last edited by martix (2016-10-28 10:04:45)

#21 2016-11-13 22:03:56

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Just found this link on the net, if anyone is interested: How to run Debian on Android (detailed tuto):

http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian

#22 2016-11-20 08:36:26

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

As usual, jumps ahead w/o reading a bunch of the comments so I can babble about the OP and a couple of the 1st posters comments.

thanks ohnonot. I'm more looking for a full linux; and ontop a mobile GUI if needed (like Windows + WindowsMobile) Any clue how to create it via any wysiwyg-editor?

Yep, don't at all doubt it can be done but like with most things gnu/Linux and opensource you have a couple of options to reaching end result. Check to see if someone is already doing it. Google indicates there are several, if not pure Nix, based on. Of course Android being the most exposed one.

Have found when it comes to Nix, someone has probably done it, thought of it etc etc. Sometimes long before the majority had ever even heard there is such a thing as gnu/Linux. For me ... never fails to amuse me. I'll come up with some tweak and think, WOW, this is a great idea and/or could be a game changer. I'M A FRIGGIN GENIUS !!! Fire up google to investigate related searches on the topic. Wham ... will find someone discussing it or something very similar and relevant on the web. Dated 15 or more years ago. big_smile

Some searches I've done also uncovered plenty of how to's on the topic. Though haven't bothered trying any of them 1st hand yet. Then there's the number 2 option for doing just about anything imaginable with tech and open source. That being imo, one of the best. If you want something and no existing thing out there meets your needs/wants. DO IT YOURSELF.

When it comes to Nix, the pieces of the puzzle are probably already long since floating around. X-enduser just has to assemble them and then snap them together to meet what they want. Of course this takes plenty of time, research, effort and experimentation on that persons part though.

Sometimes, though not all that often. May even involve learning to do software development. Imo ... seldom are the pieces not readily available. When it comes to programming, I've long since decided it just isnt for me. I'll get a mountain of books on the subject. C, C++, python, perl ... whichever. First my eyes will cross, then about pg 65 or 80 or so, I'll fall asleep. smile

But imo, yeah it's totally doable, wouldn't even take all that much effort. Though would take plenty of time with researching and experimenting. Also not to be disagreeable but strongly disagree with the person who said there'd be no benefit from dev'ing a mobile version. It's one of the laws of the Nixsphere, if you can do something different, find an unusual niche that xyz-distro fills, build it and they will come.

Don't doubt there are plenty of endusers and nixers out there with an interest in installing a mobile distro onto their dodads.

Sheesh for a long time, I've commented about how many distro's there are out there, that really have no relevance. It's just someone else's remix of Debian or whichever distro's base. They don't really bring anything useful or different, much less unique to the table for open source or endusers. But hey it's still great imo. People have the access and the right to do it.

So yes, totally doable, the pieces are there. A mobile device nowadays is pretty much a dang computer. The cheapy Android phone I have, puts the 1st pc's and many pc's I've had since then to shame in terms of resources.

Disk/storage space, RAM/memory and the hardest consideration often involved in this and many other situations. Hardware support and drivers, finding out if the Nix kernel supports the hardware and features you want on your device or if you can get ahold of proprietary kernel blobs-etc that make it so.

Other than that, imo it's just a matter of combing through and selecting the default GUI/UI ... utilities, apps and so forth that would best fit the use case. Regardless for all those of us who don't want to roll up sleeves ( myself included atm) and put the puzzle together ourselves. Don't worry, have no doubt it's coming. Sooner or later, somebody will put it out there.

Lol ... again, that's if they haven't already and we just haven't heard about it yet. Now to go back and read the entire thread but I warn you, it's poss and even likely I'll be back with more babble. Those of you, who know me ... know tis no idle threat ! smile

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2016-11-20 08:55:00)

#23 2016-11-22 01:17:54

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Just found this:   https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/

Sort of Debian Mobile (and much more). It looks like it should be able to run with Bunsenlabs too.

Last edited by martix (2016-11-22 01:21:27)

#24 2016-11-22 04:39:41

BLizgreat!
Resident Babbler - vll!

^Cool stuff fellow nixer. smile

People have been making efforts to do this for several years now. Don't know how successful they've been to this point though. Was too caught up in trying to learn about other form factors. Well still am but there's always room for more gnu/Nix. big_smile

As usual, one thing that keeps the opensource devs and all the tweakers in the community hamstrung to a point, hardware support. Though with google inc's clout and their cash behind it, not to mention all the consumers lining up for Android. Oem's are going to have to be somewhat more generous with support and access. Even on latest greatest hardware and features.

Thinking at least some of that's going to trickle down to gnu/Linux and opensource support on this and other platforms too. Mobile ... looks like yet another area opensource is kicking all hell out of it's competitors. tongue

Last edited by BLizgreat! (2016-11-22 04:40:26)

#25 2016-11-23 14:02:45

martix
Kim Jong-un Stunt Double

Indeed, these devices seem to be really cool, I would love to try all of them one day.

I forgot to mention: If someone sets up a SIP account and uses Linphone (or I believe Ekiga is an alternative too), that device can be a mobile phone replacement (if there is a wlan or 3G/4G connection, that is).

Board footer