You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-25 23:10:45

hhh
Meep!
Website

BL/jessie stable to stretch/sid

Too rolling to make this thread a HowTo, this is for posting methods used, bugs, etc...

Read the whole thread before attempting this.

I recently installed the stable bl-Hydrogen-amd64.iso. I quit bl-welcome.

I changed /etc/apt/sources.list, I commented everything out except for the first jessie repo, which i changed to stretch. I left the bunsen.list file as it was in /etc/apt/souces.list.d, but didn't enable jessie or bunsen-jessie backports. Update your repos...

sudo apt update

Remove bunsen-themes and install themes that work with the latest stoopid libgtk3 crap...

sudo apt purge bunsen-themes && sudo apt install gnome-themes-standard

Remove volti and fdpowermon, we will fix sound at the end and we don't need fdpowermon in stretch or sid...

sudo apt purge volti fdpowermon && sudo apt-get --purge autoremove

If you're being cautious, you can remove your big packages here to make the upgrade less problematic, maybe. synaptic, gdebi, catfish and libreoffice-writer come to mind.

If you're very cautious, you'll drop to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F1, or F2-F6) and login. Then sudo init 3 and...

sudo apt purge lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter

Reboot, login, startx.

Anyway, sudo apt update, sudo apt-get --purge autoremove, check that autoremove isn't removing gcc or libc6 or xorg or firmware, repeat and repeat. Sudo apt-get -f install if needed.

When you've reached stability or a loop of installing/removing the same six packages, run sudo apt upgrade. autoremove, apt upgrade, etc... Finally do the same with dist-upgrade.

When dist-upgrade finally succeeds, you'll have to run sudo update-grub from the OS/partition that's managing grub for the new kernel to be used.

#2 2016-07-25 23:16:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: BL/jessie stable to stretch/sid

bl-media-player was gone when I did this, probably because I removed vlc before the upgrades. I wanted to use audacious, so I fixed it thus...

sudo su
update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/bl-media-player \
       bl-media-player /usr/bin/audacious 50

Then set audacious in System>Edit Debian Alternatives>bl-media-player, if it isn't already.

Restore lightdm by reinstalling it and rebooting...

sudo apt install lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter light-locker

You can download bunsen-themes from github. Install them to ~/.themes, remove or rename the gtk3 folder(s), and gtk3 apps will nicely fall back to adwaita.

I'll post more when I repeat this install (and take better notes!)

#3 2016-07-25 23:24:50

hhh
Meep!
Website

See the Help! Sound! HowTo for restoring audio...

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2266

#4 2016-07-29 05:57:58

johnraff
nullglob
Website

^^Setting audacious as bl-media-player is OK of course, but don't forget that it can't play videos, which an app qualifying as bl-media-player is really expected to do.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , Japan Links, idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#5 2016-11-04 19:04:51

KrunchTime

@hhh:  Thanks for the themes tip, although using bunsen-themes doesn't appear to be that problematic when tracking Unstable.

Board footer