You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-17 14:33:32

ghorvath

Power Manager Systray Applet / Bunsen-Welcome

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but I just installed BL-rc1 from the iso onto one of my laptops. Earlier I always used the netinstall, and the tint2 battery icon was broken for xfce4-power-manager, so I had to install it from the bunsen backports. However, after installing bl-rc1 from the iso, the tint2 icon is just there and working properly without installing it from backports. Did somebody do some magic that I did not catch?

-mod edit- moved to bugs and updated the thread subject, read on to see why. hhh

#2 2015-10-17 14:49:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

Re: Power Manager Systray Applet / Bunsen-Welcome

Yes, it was magic. tongue

The systray notification applet for xfce4-power-manager was removed in jessie in favor of a dedicated xfce4-panel applet, which left tint2 and other panels without an applet. We're using fdpowermon and a custom icon set to mimic the #! systray, and it's a pretty groovy implementation that uses about the same RAM as the xfce4 applet.

The applet has returned in the Debian stretch version of xfce4-power-manager and we've backported that...
http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/#jessie-backports
For other users who'd like to use that instead, add the backport source, update your sources and run...

sudo apt-get install -t jessie-backports xfce4-power-manager-data

Disable fdpowermon in ~/.config/openbox/autostart and logout. When you login the applet should be there. Open xfce4-power-manager-settings and you'll see the checkbox for the tray icon is not in the right state. Check and uncheck it to make sure that option is working. If everything is OK, you may uninstall fdpowermon.

#3 2015-10-17 15:10:22

ghorvath

Ah, I see. So why not simply add the backports to the apt sources and install that immediately?

BTW, I just noticed that right after the first bl-welcome run, I did a dist-upgrade, and it updated bl-welcome and installed laptop-detect. (Ah, ok, so this is a new feature that did not yet made into the iso....) Then I rerun bl-welcome, and it added the backports, but somehow forgot to install this particular package you talk about.... I guess it should have done an apt-get update and then install?

#4 2015-10-17 15:18:15

damo
....moderator....

^ If you think you might have found an issue, then could you raise it in the Bug Reports forum section?

Be Excellent to Each Other...

FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2015-10-17 15:48:20

hhh
Meep!
Website

ghorvath wrote:

So why not simply add the backports to the apt sources and install that immediately?

At the time we were adhering to a policy of "Debian stable + BL packages only", hence the addition of fdpowermon and volti. We're currently discussing softening that policy and will most likely include some backports OOTB in the next ISO (pnmixer instead of volti, for instance).

It's not "simply" as it has the potential to open a can of worms. Hypothetical... we include xfce4-power-manager backport and now light-locker needs a backport and then lightdm needs a backport and then...

ghorvath wrote:

Then I rerun bl-welcome, and it added the backports, but somehow forgot to install this particular package you talk about.

It added the backports source to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen-jessie-backports.list but you still have to install backports with the "-t backports" switch as shown in my last post.

#6 2015-10-17 20:56:12

ghorvath

hhh wrote:

It added the backports source to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen-jessie-backports.list but you still have to install backports with the "-t backports" switch as shown in my last post.

Ah, ok. From the text (because it mentioned that I am running a laptop, so I would want a nice battery icon) I thought it will also install the backports package. And when I hit yes, the output very quickly changed to the next screen, so I did not have a chance to properly look at what it was doing.

In fact, I just checked the text, which is the following:

------------------------------[ page 4 of 14 ]------------------------------

SYSTEM TWEAKS
  -------------

Checking your system for possible improvements...

PAE KERNEL
  ----------

You already have a PAE enabled kernel installed.

LAPTOP CHECK
  ------------

This seems to be a laptop computer. It is possible to add the BunsenLabs 
  backports repository and upgrade xfce4-power-manager from there. This will 
  add an improved battery icon to the system tray.
  The package fdpowermon, no longer needed, will be removed.
Add backports, upgrade xfce4-power-manager? [Y/n] 

It says add backports _and_ upgrade xfce4-power-manager.
And in fact it says that fdpowermon _will_ be removed, not could be removed. So I think either the text or the script should be changed so the script would do what the text says.

#7 2015-10-17 20:59:47

hhh
Meep!
Website

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you, I haven't run the most recent version of bl-welcome. I'll test this next time I do an install, and hopefully johnraff and damo will take a look at this as well. I'll wait to split this to a Bug Report till someone confirms it.

Thanks for the report, ghorvath!

#8 2015-10-18 02:41:01

johnraff
nullglob
Website

This might be a bug.

The bl-welcome script is intended (if the user chooses) to:
*) add the backports repo
*) upgrade xfce4-power-manager with the '-t jessie-backports'  option
*) remove fdpowermon and edit openbox/autostart accordingly.

When I tested it on my laptop this was indeed what happened.

Ghorvath, would you mind listing again the exact behaviour you found?

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog, idle Twitterings and GitStuff )
In case you forget, the rules.

#9 2015-10-18 12:54:24

ghorvath

Okay, I installed on another laptop a completely new version of bl-rc1.

First bl-welcome script is still from the iso, so it does not asks about the tweaks.
The I did a dist-upgrade, which installed laptop-detect and updated bl-welcome.

I rerun bl-welcome. At the 4th screen I saw the message I just copied above. I chose ENTER (Y). Then it created the bunsen-jessie-backports.list, and tried to grep it, but then the screen moved to the next one, so I do not know exactly what happened. If you tell me where the log file is, I can tell you the exact error message. (It might be some typo in the filename, maybe?) I checked that xfce4-power-manager and xfce4-power-manager-data still have 1.4.1-1 versions installed, and (since no update has happened), it does not even offer 1.4.4, yet.

#10 2015-10-18 14:39:08

hhh
Meep!
Website

@ghorvath, I'm moving this thread to "Bug Reports". I'm also changing the thread subject.

#11 2015-10-18 15:07:55

hhh
Meep!
Website

I've done a fresh install of Hydrogen RC1 32 bit, and bl-welcome is acting weird, for sure.

On first run, the package bunsen-welcome is held back at the apt-get upgrade step (btw, I'm not fond of the package being bunsen-welcome but we call the script bl-welcome). It's the same if I run the script again. 'apt-cache policy bunsen-welcome' shows the upgrade is available, so 'sudo apt-get install bunsen-welcome' installs it.

Now run bl-welcome again and and at LAPTOP CHECK it offers to add the BL backport source, install xfce4-power-manager and remove fdpowermon, but it fails with a message similar to "failed to add source to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen-jessie-backports.list, file does not exist."

Run bl-welcome again and it seem BL backports has already been added, and xfce4-powermanager can be installed and fdpowermon can be removed. You have to manually run 'apt-get autoremove' to uninstall fdpowermon-icons. Logout/login, the xfce4-powermon icon is there, go into it's settings, the checkbox is still unticked as I said earlier.

@johnraff, I'm wondering what you want to do here, since, as far as I'm concerned, we haven't decided on including this backport by default, which would make this part of bl-welcome unnecessary.

I can't tell if bl-welcome creates a log or not.

Of course, I'll test this all again the next time I do a fresh install, as my report might be inaccurate.

#12 2015-10-18 20:27:49

ghorvath

I think bunsen-welcome is not updated (and therefore laptop-detect is not installed) because bl-welcome only does apt-get upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade. I think that is why update of bunsen-welcome is held back (because it suddenly depends on another package so updating to it would require to install a new package and apt-get upgrade tries to avoid it, while apt-get dist-upgrade would install it in a heartbeat).

As for whether the script should offer bunsen-backports, my vote wold go for a definite yes. I have two laptops, and I use the backported xfce4-power-manager. I do not see any harm in putting this in there if the user wants it. One could argue if the text is informative enough for people new to linux.

About not having the file when it is in fact created: maybe the script does not wait enough time for the file to be created?

#13 2015-10-19 03:30:37

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@ghorvath thanks for your time on this. There was a bug in system-tweaks on line 46. As you suggested, it came at the point where grep was used to check if the bunsen backports had been successfully added. The fix has been put in bunsen-welcome 8.3.1-1 but that package will probably not reach the repositories for a while. (There are some other changes to bunsen-welcome in the pipeline.)

If you, or anyone else, would like to check it now works, find this line in /usr/lib/bunsen/bunsen-welcome/system-tweaks:

grep -q '^deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian jessie-backports main' /etc/apt/sources.list./bunsen-jessie-backports.list || {

and replace it with

grep -q '^deb http://pkg.bunsenlabs.org/debian jessie-backports main' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bunsen-jessie-backports.list || {

As you can see, it's a missing 'd', which causes the test to fail, and that section of the script to exit after adding the backports repo but before upgrading and removing packages. This must have crept in during a final small tweak which was made after the script was tested. Sorry. slap.gif

Some other points:

• You should have been able to see the error message "failed to add BunsenLabs backports to apt sources." for two seconds before going on to the next page. If you (or others) feel 2s is too short it can be increased.

• Anyway, it's always possible to scroll up to see the previous page's output.

• About dist-upgrade holding back new package installs - this is the way apt works. (I'm wondering why it didn't become an issue when bunsen-utilities started using light-locker?) Dist-upgrade is more dangerous than a plain upgrade so I'm a bit reluctant to put it in the script if it can be avoided. Hopefully this issue won't come up often.

• bl-welcome does not create a logfile at the moment, but I've put it on my to-do list because it would be useful in debugging.

• @hhh anyway, that bug is now fixed so it need not force our decision about backports in the iso by default.

• All our packages are called bunsen-something and all our scripts are called bl-something.

John
--------------------

#14 2015-10-19 04:56:21

ghorvath

johnraff wrote:

You should have been able to see the error message "failed to add BunsenLabs backports to apt sources." for two seconds before going on to the next page. If you (or others) feel 2s is too short it can be increased.
Anyway, it's always possible to scroll up to see the previous page's output.

I feel very stupid now....
If 2s is not enough, maybe you could ask for a keypress when an error occurs?

johnraff wrote:

About dist-upgrade holding back new package installs - this is the way apt works. (I'm wondering why it didn't become an issue when bunsen-utilities started using light-locker?) Dist-upgrade is more dangerous than a plain upgrade so I'm a bit reluctant to put it in the script if it can be avoided. Hopefully this issue won't come up often.

Sure, it is not a problem. It is safer this way, for sure. Although, I only do dist-upgrade on all my linux machines and rpi (never simple upgrade), mostly unattended, and I think on a stable machine it should be fine. (Not on a testing system, though!) But anyway, for new users simple upgrade should do. Maybe mention in the script that sometimes dist-upgrade is useful and put a link to the appropriate wiki or debian page?

#15 2015-10-19 05:32:32

johnraff
nullglob
Website

ghorvath wrote:

maybe you could ask for a keypress when an error occurs?

This is a good idea.

John
--------------------

Board footer