You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-22 06:36:33

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Keyboard dies occasionally.

Every so often - about once a week - the keyboard suddenly stops responding. It might be triggered by a spell of intense activity - a lot of clicking and tapping in a short time - but is pretty much random.

Everything else continues as normal, including the mouse. I can close windows and do anything else for which there is a point-and-click GUI, but nothing involving typing. Ctrl+Alt+F2 is ignored too so I can't test a different tty.

Logout doesn't help - the only thing which works is a reboot, which always fixes it.

It sounds like a hardware issue, but I don't think the reboot would fix it so reliably if it was just a loose wire. Some BIOS problem?

If there was some command which would help diagnose this I could make a point-and-click launcher to run it next time the keyboard dies.

Any advice appreciated! smile

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

#2 2016-07-22 07:24:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Keyboard dies occasionally.

Is there anything in the systemd journal?

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ … stemd-logs

Either run `journalctl` as root or add your user to the systemd-journal group to view the full content of the logs:

sudo gpasswd -a $USER systemd-journal && newgrp systemd-journal

You will also have to edit /etc/systemd/journald.conf and uncomment & change this line:

Storage=persistent

See journald.conf(5)

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-07-22 23:33:57

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Also, after the keyboard looses "connectivity" would doing a dmesg  should any current kernel events? Or would that just show on boot info?

The only thing I can think of...is if you have a really crazy keyboard with volume knobs, and different function buttons, maybe it's a driver issue? Perhaps one of the drivers that are required to use one of the functions that isn't supported on deb/bun?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#4 2016-07-23 02:42:19

johnraff
nullglob
Website

@HoaS thanks I'll look into those and report back. This is very intermittent so might turn out to be a long-term investigation...

@HB Running "dmsg" or any other command is not possible without a keyboard... unless I make a mouse-clickable launcher that does 'urxvt -hold -e dmesg'. I might set that up just to see. Wait - I already have a "live system messages" menu item that does 'urxvt -e sudo tail -f /var/log/messages' but it needs a password typed in (impossible of course) so some sort of exemption would have to be set up.

It's a very vanilla keyboard with nothing special and has worked fine up till recently. Maybe it's just the heat getting to the hardware?

#5 2016-10-26 08:08:56

johnraff
nullglob
Website

I put this on hold because it was behaving OK for a while, but had more today (mouse died too this time). Trying to use journalctl hasn't been working out, so I started a new support request: https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic … 340#p39340

Now I've got two problems... neutral

#6 2017-01-06 07:31:50

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Well, eventually got to read journal entries, to find nothing particularly suspicious - just one reference to a partition failing to mount, which did not recur.

Next thought was that it might be getting too hot, so opened up the case to clear out the dust - there wasn't so much.

Then ran a memtest - had to search around but found an old Ubuntu CD with memtest86+ 4.20 and indeed got a whole slew of errors at the "Random number sequence" stage. OK now we're on to something - next was to take out each of the memory sticks (2G each) in turn to see which was the bad one. Both of them gave the same errors. A bit of Googling revealed that it was a bug in memtest86+ 4.20. bored.gif

So I put the memory cards back in - in reversed positions, and taking special care that they were properly plugged in. Since then there's been no trouble, so maybe it was just a dirty connection to one of the RAM cards.

Fingers crossed...

Board footer