You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-10 22:38:07

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Forum User Quoting

Hey everyone,

So I've noticed this on some other larger forums and not sure if the forums we're on can even support this idea... But I was thinking that it may help the users on here who track many different threads for support.   What I'm talking about is the ability to get a PM notification, not an actual message but maybe an alert or pop up, whenever your post has been quoted.   

So the use case would be if you're been helping people on 4 to 5 different threads, and you may not remember everyone of them, or want to log in and scan the boards for new posts then only to see that a new post was made but not relevant to your post etc..  So if the user in the thread that you're helping presses the quote button to respond to your text or instructions, you get a PM or pop up message ( that may trigger an email to your account)

Anyone else see the merit in this? I think it'd help people who follow multiple troubleshooting threads, and allow for faster responses.. Yay? nay? Can it even be done?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#2 2016-07-11 04:52:48

earlybird
ほやほや
Website

Re: Forum User Quoting

Sure it could be done; though I'd need to write something in PHP and the FluxBB code base is a nightmare. This seems to have come up in the past; but there is no general solution available yet: http://docs.fluxbb.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4663.

What sounds more straightforward is: When a user is being SUBSCRIBED to a certain thread, it should be trivial to hook into that and send the user a PM.

I'll look into that some time.
--
What you can do NOW is subscribe to a thread you want to watch, receive each post to that thread as email, and then filter out emails that do not mention your username. Depending on your email setup, you can even do that easily in your mail client. For example, I'm subscribed to some threads, and in my BL forums inbox I just limit the view in mutt by the following expression:

~b twoion|~b madoromi

to show me all messages that mention my username(s) in the body text.

#3 2016-07-11 17:37:16

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

Yea the subscribe feature I knew about, and it's definitely a better than nothing option. The only problem I have is that once you subscribe it keeps sending you updates even if the thread has long gone past any relevancy to you. You'd have to then manually unsubscribe after.  At least with the above proposal, you are only contacted if someone actually mentions your quote.  But I'm not picky so thanks for responding to this anyhow, just figured I'd toss it out there... 

It also begs the question...why *do* you have two usernames here?  Isn't one of you enough ??! tongue

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#4 2016-07-11 20:12:31

hhh
Meep!
Website

Horizon_Brave wrote:

Isn't one of you enough ??! tongue

Oh hell no. We need an army of him.

Board footer