You are not logged in.

#1 2016-07-08 19:58:07

Horizon_Brave
Operating System: Linux-Nettrix

The Intention to Go to Stable for all Packages?

Hey everyone, So.. I've gotten sort of used to (more or less) the Debian versions. My one question though remains...Is it the intention to have all and every package that is brought into Testing and Unstable, eventually make it to Stable? Or do the maintainers often know that certain packages will never and shouldn't ever be brought into Stable? 

I suppose what I'm asking is that if there are packages in testing/experimental/unstable... is it just a matter of time before they eventually (come hell or high water) are brought up to stable or again, do the maintainers know that some will just never make it?

"I have not failed, I have found 10,000 ways that will not work" -Edison

#2 2016-07-08 20:02:15

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: The Intention to Go to Stable for all Packages?

The transition to stable is decided during the "freeze" in the repositories that happens about six months before the release of the next stable version.

After the freeze starts, no new packages are added and it is normal for quite a few packages to not make the cut, so to speak and in the six months that follow any packages that have serious bugs uncovered that cannot be fixed in time for the release will also be dropped.

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#3 2016-07-08 21:08:17

Horizon_Brave

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

The transition to stable is decided during the "freeze" in the repositories that happens about six months before the release of the next stable version.

After the freeze starts, no new packages are added and it is normal for quite a few packages to not make the cut, so to speak and in the six months that follow any packages that have serious bugs uncovered that cannot be fixed in time for the release will also be dropped.

Right! That I knew, but I think I'm asking is, are there packages that aren't even planned to be pushed to stable before the freeze?   So that maybe the maintainers know that the package will never really make the requirements of stable, so they just intentionally keep it at the Unstable/Testing repos?

#4 2016-07-08 21:20:57

damo
....moderator....

The packages in unstable are the most recent submitted by the upstream devs, so with rapid development the latest package will always be in unstable. I doubt that it is "intentional" - just the way it goes!

Be Excellent to Each Other...
The Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop » Here
FORUM RULES and posting guidelines «» Help page for forum post formatting
Artwork on DeviantArt  «» BunsenLabs on DeviantArt

#5 2016-07-08 22:07:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Horizon_Brave wrote:

are there packages that aren't even planned to be pushed to stable before the freeze?   So that maybe the maintainers know that the package will never really make the requirements of stable, so they just intentionally keep it at the Unstable/Testing repos?

I believe so.  I think there are a lot of packages whose developers have no intention of making them fully compliant with the Debian Social Contract and develop them with full knowledge that they'll get cut during the freeze.  Occasionally Debian bends its interpretation of the Social Contract to allow popular packages to make it into Stable, as has recently happened with packages that were once only available from the unofficial Multimedia repo.

Be excellent to each other, and...party on, dudes!
BunsenLabs Forum Rules
Tending and defending the Flame since 2009

#6 2016-07-10 22:25:48

Horizon_Brave

Thanks Damo and PVsage.  And yea I can see and almost fully expect that sort of "popularity creep" to happen. I know Debian's social contract defines the set of rules, but over time, as maintiners come and go, I foresee some packages that would have been barred from making it onto stable, eventually succumb and are brought on board due to outside social change and as standpoints and points of view change.

#7 2016-07-11 06:29:25

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

You should install the popularity-contest package if you wish to influence future package selection for the Debian release.

See http://popcon.debian.org/

“Et ignotas animum dimittit in artes.” — Ovid, Metamorphoses, VIII., 18.

Forum Rules   •   How to report a problem   •   Software that rocks

#8 2016-08-03 21:44:07

KrunchTime

pvsage wrote:
Horizon_Brave wrote:

are there packages that aren't even planned to be pushed to stable before the freeze?   So that maybe the maintainers know that the package will never really make the requirements of stable, so they just intentionally keep it at the Unstable/Testing repos?

I believe so.  I think there are a lot of packages whose developers have no intention of making them fully compliant with the Debian Social Contract and develop them with full knowledge that they'll get cut during the freeze.  Occasionally Debian bends its interpretation of the Social Contract to allow popular packages to make it into Stable, as has recently happened with packages that were once only available from the unofficial Multimedia repo.

Such packages are sometimes even removed from the Testing or Unstable repos.  I've seen it happen before.

#9 2016-08-04 03:32:40

johnraff
nullglob
Website

Moved to "BL & General Linux Discussion" since it's not really a support question.
(That section didn't exist when the first post was made.)

...elevator in the Brain Hotel, broken down but just as well...
( a boring Japan blog (currently paused), idle Twitterings and GitStuff )

Introduction to the Bunsenlabs Lithium Desktop

Board footer